Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Right, thought I would get the jolla experience on my tablet, but no as it does not work for tablets [sigh]

Last edited by bockersjv; 2014-10-20 at 09:13. Reason: typos

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
There seems also be coming Rovio Angry birds Stella TOH! Atleast it is sold in TaoBao webshop with Jolla phone.
http://t.co/XsSTMxpMhB

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
I believe we are beginning to see signs that Europe is no longer Jolla's primary market focus

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Right I would get the jolla experience on my tablet, but no as it dies not work for tablets [sigh]
Whaddya mean it doesn't run on tablets?
http://www.swagman.org/juice/20140929_002.jpg

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
I believe we are beginning to see signs that Europe is no longer Jolla's primary market focus
You didn't pay attention - it never was. ;-P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
How exactly does it hurt?
If anything it helps adoption huuugely!

I (for one) would not buy Jolla Phone if it wasn't compatible with my banking (Android) application.
Having the ability to kill commute time with all the games I buy on Humble Bundle and stocked on Google Play store helps too.

This paranoia against this thin, stripped-down Alien Dalvik layer is just silly.
its not the paranoia, its the fact that one major application that would be expected to be native on Jolla came to Android.

And no I think the Android layer is great, makes life much easier when the browsers being a prick and won't play soundcloud, but in the long run partners will just think whats the point of porting it over, theres an android layer. Thats the only issue IMO.

Maybe people are right, maybe am expecting wayy too much from such a small start up and true be told am pretty happy with my Jolla atm.

The only thing it doesn't have is the magic of the N900, but who can blame Jolla for that lol

Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
How exactly does it hurt?
If anything it helps adoption huuugely!

I (for one) would not buy Jolla Phone if it wasn't compatible with my banking (Android) application.
Having the ability to kill commute time with all the games I buy on Humble Bundle and stocked on Google Play store helps too.

This paranoia against this thin, stripped-down Alien Dalvik layer is just silly.
If a normal user picks up a Jolla he'll might find the Silicia UI very refreshing and interesting, however he might feel disappointed after installing a lot of Android apps and exploring inconsistency, apps crashing and a hungry battery after playing an Android game for ~15 min. battery level drops at least 10%. Even after an Android app is closed it continue to use RAM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-WBODo4Eno).

Furthermore do to the focus on marketing the Jolla phone as capable of running Android apps the new user might be greatly disappointed when he's not able to install any app from Google Play with a few clicks and some of his favorite apps are not functioning probably.

The Following User Says Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
its the fact that one major application that would be expected to be native on Jolla came to Android.
Do you have any data to support that claim?

That was my thinking at the beginning, but then I talked with some of my friends developing mobile applications - freelancing and at few companies, showing them Jolla Phone.
They point of view is - if the market is enough they will go for the native app anyway, as they would be unsure running on emulated layer. Ie. they are developing completely different apps for the same purpose (said banking application) for Android, Windows, iPhone, Blackberry, not using any common layer.

If there is no market - they would not simply develop an app at all.

Having an emulation layer is the user choice and they were pretty surprised their apps worked so well on non-android phone. Having the experience that their apps have problems working even on some exotic (Samsung anyone) Android phones.

Ergo - Alien Dalvik makes close to no difference for software developers - if there is no ROI for native app, they will not develop a native app. Period.

We just need to wait until Jolla takes a significant part of the market, implement paid apps in the Store, allow more useful APIs in Store - and there will be native apps.

Android emulation layer is a factor in achieving that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
If a normal user picks up a Jolla he'll might find the Silicia UI very refreshing and interesting,
Really?!
My experience is 180deg different - normal users find Silica UI confusing. Even when I show them how to operate gestures they have problems.

As for Android Apps?
- Oh! You have Beat Hazard? Gimme! Any cool tunes?

Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
disappointed when he's not able to install any app from Google Play with a few clicks and some of his favorite apps are not functioning probably.
Yet the community disses having Android apps in Jolla Store... right...

Last edited by smoku; 2014-10-20 at 10:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Do you have any data to support that claim?

That was my thinking at the beginning, but then I talked with some of my friends developing mobile applications - freelancing and at few companies, showing them Jolla Phone.
They point of view is - if the market is enough they will go for the native app anyway, as they would be unsure running on emulated layer. Ie. they are developing completely different apps for the same purpose (said banking application) for Android, Windows, iPhone, Blackberry, not using any common layer.

If there is no market - they would not simply develop an app at all.

Having an emulation layer is the user choice and they were pretty surprised their apps worked so well on non-android phone. Having the experience that their apps have problems working even on some exotic (Samsung anyone) Android phones.

Ergo - Alien Dalvik makes close to no difference for software developers - if there is no ROI for native app, they will not develop a native app. Period.

We just need to wait until Jolla takes a significant part of the market, implement paid apps in the Store, allow more useful APIs in Store - and there will be native apps.

Android emulation layer is a factor in achieving that.
unsure what you mean by data, but the YouUnited application was expected to be integrated as a plugin with maybe a host application to control it, but so far nothing, and while yes it still maybe possible for a native application no such luck so far. I suppose it may help if Jolla allowed paid apps