Active Topics

What a true innovation looks like with limited resources and imagination !!!

The Following User Says Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
How MaruOS Turns Your Android Phone Into A Linux Desktop Computer
BY ADARSH VERMA ON FEBRUARY 6, 2016
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
I just imagined an ordinary layman scratching his head, asking "what is a linux desktop computer?"

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
With Maru OS being recently opensourced, that would be just an amazing addition do SfOS ... anyone disagree? Combining Sailfish, sfdroid layer and Maru OS capabilities we'd have the ultimate tool in our pocket.

Last edited by beobachter; 2016-02-19 at 09:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by beobachter View Post
With Maru OS being recently opensourced, that would be just an amazing addition do SfOS ... anyone disagree? Combining Sailfish, sfdroid layer and Maru OS capabilities we'd have the ultimate tool in our pocket.
I disagree. It seems like overkill to run a chroot under sfdroid when you can run a chroot directly under Sailfish. We've all been doing this for years with EasyDebian on N900s and N9s. The only difference is the need for XWayland on Sailfish which javispedro already ported. I still fail to see what's so innovative about Maru OS other than a pretty website plus emphasis on HDMI-out. As far as I've been able to tell, it's all Debian under the bonnet so even the name Maru OS is a joke.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2016-02-19 at 16:57.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I am not suggesting to run a chroot under sfdroid. I am saying having this opensourced with tremendous interest and possibly soon resources available, SfOS w all the above would be the mobile OS we have been wishing for since the Maemo 3. Sure EasyDebian on N900 was great, but kinda failed to translate to a broader success. I believe having SfOS able to be installed and hopefully seriously supported on a wide variety of until recently 4ndroidy hw opens for all of us the most amazing oportunities, which at times of N900 being the only HW we could only dream of.

The first note on true innovation was about how a single person identifies a need and takes on addressing it, not hesitating in open sourcing it, which is exactly what we need to move forward.

With all the hardware around it's finally time for Jolla to let go of the own hw and focus solely on the OS development and integration/support with the hw producers. The HW is out there, the serious interest as well ... should the new enlightened Nokia allow SfOS at least in the way Sony is trying, we'd have the most amazing slam dunk in mobile os space.

Last edited by beobachter; 2016-02-21 at 07:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
There's an interview with the author in Linux Luddites #76 at about the 1:22 mark. Not sure how much useful extra information there is there, but might be worth a listen if you're keeping an eye on the project.

https://linuxluddites.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by beobachter View Post
+1

MaruOS is surprisingly fast. The idea to 'beam' and 'hold' the desktop using hdmi out on the fly while you just see your underlying mobile operating system is not bad and somehow different from what i have seen before.

Last edited by BluesLee; 2016-05-28 at 22:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Now available for public download, for the curious....

https://blog.maruos.com/2016/06/08/m...is-now-public/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post: