Active Topics

Or Nemo as it's called now.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by babraq View Post
First of all -- marxian, thanks for making this wonderful application. I read that stock video player won't get any big updates, so OVP is great substitution for serious video playing... Love it!

Second, I found two bugs in 0.0.3. Don't know if I should write them here or create tickets on http://developer.nokia.com/. Which do you prefer?
You can just post any bugs here.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Looks great!

I'm quite a modest video player user with mobile, but I do use it... I only need few videos in the phone that I watch. The stock video player is just great for me except for one thing: it's damn hard to seek to a wanted position, as there's no "jump 10 seconds forward, 5 seconds back" buttons or something similar, so that position can be changed more accurately. I think Jakiman already had commented on that.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Well, once the auto-rotation during video playback can be turned off (It is super annoying), maximum brightness can be set (I hate how you can't set desired brightness in N9. I don't care about battery life, I want max brightness!) and resume function working (for obvious reasons), I will be a very happy chappy. =)

For now, is there a way to launch multiple instances of OVP? This will allow me to open a different video on each one so that I can pause them and resume playback of more than 1 video.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well, once the auto-rotation during video playback can be turned off (It is super annoying), maximum brightness can be set (I hate how you can't set desired brightness in N9. I don't care about battery life, I want max brightness!) and resume function working (for obvious reasons), I will be a very happy chappy. =)

For now, is there a way to launch multiple instances of OVP? This will allow me to open a different video on each one so that I can pause them and resume playback of more than 1 video.
I've already included the option to lock orientation during playback in the next update. I also have the scrolling titles and the use of the filenames rather than the embedded titles.

I'm not sure if there is a way to force enabling of multiple instances from the command line. However, you can always edit the .desktop file located at

Code:
/usr/share/applications/openvideoplayer.desktop
Change

Code:
Exec=/usr/bin/single-instance /opt/openvideoplayer/bin/openvideoplayer
to

Code:
Exec=/opt/openvideoplayer/bin/openvideoplayer
You will need to be root (enter devel-su, password rootme).

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Geez i wish there were more devs like Marxian. Seems like damn Nokia always gets the best devs damnit!! come make some money on Android and WP7 Marxian!!!
**** you no good devs should work with crap like WP!

I would mind pay FOSS devs continue working with Maemo+ŚwipeUI+Qt. I hope this app will be uploaded to nokiastore and Marxian makes good money on it! (Hint: With lowest possible price every damn intresed person buys it

Android and WP can burn in hell!!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-11-04 at 22:40.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
sad face :'(

Version 0.0.4 now available from http://projects.developer.nokia.com/ovp/wiki/Downloads

Changelog:

* Added option to lock to landscape orientation when viewing videos.
* Added optional marquee text in video delegates.
* Now using filenames rather than embedded titles for videos.
* Fixed error in displaying playlist video details.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Version 0.0.4 now available
You are my hero. Awesome job Marxian.

Now some other final touches I would like you to consider.
- Sorry for being so demanding. Hope you don't mind.
- I watch a lot of videos with my N9 on the go.
- Persistent resume function is still on top priority for me...

1. While playing a video, if you tap the screen once, the video controls show up. Can this be made so that it doesn't auto-hide? I do a lot of seeking back/forth and so it gets very annoying when it just auto-hides after a couple of seconds. I would like it so you tap video to show the controls for as long as you like, then when done with it, tap video again to make it hide. (this should also fix the annoyance where you can't go back to the list while the video is paused as the back button doesn't show up while video is paused in landscape mode and only option is to play the video again...)

2. When the video is minimized, the live thumbnail reverts back to portrait mode even though I've locked it to landscape only during video playback. Can this be changed so it stays in full sized landscape-oriented even for the live-thumbnail?

3. Is it possible to have another thumbnail size / view for the list? Like a mini-thumbnail mode where you see a tiny thumbnail on the left and show file name on the right like a list view? Like this sorta. (hope you get what I mean ) It will allow to see more of the longer file name even without scrolling and can fit more videos in a single screen.

btw, I can confirm that it now auto-resumes the playback to the right point after an incoming phone call.

Also, do you have any paypal donation link etc?
I can donate a small amount... (at least $5 for now. =P)

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-11-05 at 23:58.

You are my hero. Awesome job Marxian.

Now some other final touches I would like you to consider.
- Sorry for being so demanding. Hope you don't mind.
- I watch a lot of videos with my N9 on the go.
- Persistent resume function is still on top priority for me...

1. While playing a video, if you tap the screen once, the video controls show up. Can this be made so that it doesn't auto-hide? I do a lot of seeking back/forth and so it gets very annoying when it just auto-hides after a couple of seconds. I would like it so you tap video to show the controls for as long as you like, then when done with it, tap video again to make it hide. (this should also fix the annoyance where you can't go back to the list while the video is paused as the back button doesn't show up while video is paused in landscape mode and only option is to play the video again...)
I will add persistent resume as soon as I figure out how to do it. The API I'm using atm doesn't access the correct attribute for the resume position, so I'll have to access the tracker some other way in order to retrieve/set the value (and file a bug against QtGallery).

I will add an option to disable auto-hiding of playback controls in the next update.

2. When the video is minimized, the live thumbnail reverts back to portrait mode even though I've locked it to landscape only during video playback. Can this be changed so it stays in full sized landscape-oriented even for the live-thumbnail?
The task switcher forces the application into portrait mode when minimized. I don't know of a way to override this, except on the N950 when the keyboard is open.

3. Is it possible to have another thumbnail size / view for the list? Like a mini-thumbnail mode where you see a tiny thumbnail on the left and show file name on the right like a list view? Like this sorta. (hope you get what I mean ) It will allow to see more of the longer file name even without scrolling and can fit more videos in a single screen.
I can do that easily enough. I'll add it for the next update.

Also, do you have any paypal donation link etc?
I can donate a small amount... (at least $5 for now. =P)
Thanks. My PayPal donation link is here, although I may follow mikecomputing's advice and submit it to Nokia Store for 1 euro, so people can choose to support the project that way (plus it will be exposed to people who don't visit TMO or install applications from non-store sources). The free option will always remain.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-11-06 at 00:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
more features, video player