Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Now they added some stretch goals on top.
I like their humor

$20m = FUN GOAL, Candy Crush (clone) �� available for free
$32m = FUN GOAL, “We did it!”(polite reference to Ubuntu Edge goal)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
They also published some stretch goals, but they look a bit ambitious.

Does the last one mean, they plan to run Android apps anyway but not completely isolated or they plan to run Android apps only if $10M are reached?
I don't think they have done any plans for android. They probably never expect to reach 10 anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Lack of support or longevity is a bad thing. And that is what exactly happens with these niche products usually.
Take a look at this speach by Greg Kroah-Hartmann, THE kernel maintainer. https://youtu.be/RKadXpQLmPU?t=19m20s

All big Android device manufacturers are painting themselves into a corner. They are the ones that have HUGE problems with support and longevity. Software maintenance wise the devices are dead bricks when out of the factory. Replacing 88% of the mainline kernel with their own crap is f***ng crazy. It is unbelievable how stupid it is. People are walking around with huge untested crappy software blobs in their pockets.

Fortunately Greg has been talking to the big SoC providers and they know they have a big problem and are trying to work on it. And Google is now demanding that device manufacturers use the new LTS kernel versions.

Purism will use a mainline kernel and will avoid all of those problems.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
well, even if one has up to date kernel forever after that alone does not mean much. Just like AC unit on deserted tropical island.
Bottom line is that while linux on deskop provides solution for almost any need and in most cases you can use SW that is written in something totally different than the DE itself (with pulling the whole other DE but it works) that is not the case with linux for mobile. In fact, it's quite the opposite
While I do understand importance of projects like this I'll still rather accept device with bolobs and stuff that can do tasks on a daily basis than one which is free from everything, apps included. Not everything is a turd over the fence just like not everything is a pure gold over here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
well, even if one has up to date kernel forever after that alone does not mean much. Just like AC unit on deserted tropical island.
Bottom line is that while linux on deskop provides solution for almost any need and in most cases you can use SW that is written in something totally different than the DE itself (with pulling the whole other DE but it works) that is not the case with linux for mobile. In fact, it's quite the opposite
While I do understand importance of projects like this I'll still rather accept device with bolobs and stuff that can do tasks on a daily basis than one which is free from everything, apps included. Not everything is a turd over the fence just like not everything is a pure gold over here.
What are the apps you so desperately need?
I'd rather take tha old slower hw with plain blobless upstreamable linux than anything spoonfed to you by the top companies when the stuff they peddle will be obsoleted at speed of sound...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What are the apps you so desperately need?
I hajack your quiestion since I think it is interesting question...

I desperately need below apps if I want to replace my current phone with librem. The list shows that I can't fully replace. For me librem will be used as prof & concept and playing. Replacing main usage I doubt cause of.

* Bankid/Swish (Guess what even geeks need to pay it bills and buy food!!!)
* Vastrafik (Local Bus ticket app)

Below can be done by the community:

* Bitcoin wallet (I mean seriously why does we STILL not have a some kind of Linux mobile client for this!?
* Monero client (This looks promising at least)
* Spotify client (Yes, even geeks listen to commercial music and are willing pay for it) Spotify has killed libspotify. What comes next is unknown. Maybe their webapi can be used in some way not sure how and if possible...
* Fully functional telegram client look at the android version.
* A decent and working podcast client. gpodder is really broken in
SFOS. Probably cause maintainer has moved on. We need a replacement for this.

Of course I could replace spotify premium with some other online music stream IF there is some who has API library for Linux. But I doubt there is.

Now this could change if Jolla enters the building and officially port SFOS+dalvik to core Linux without libhybris/android kernel blob

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2017-10-16 at 17:57.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Of those all in the list, the only thing I need is spotify, and guess what; cutespot works just perfect

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Of those all in the list, the only thing I need is spotify, and guess what; cutespot works just perfect
What annoys me the most is that a Spotify developer made a rather awesome looking SailfishOS client during his 20% time, and they wouldnt let him release it...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
What annoys me the most is that a Spotify developer made a rather awesome looking SailfishOS client during his 20% time, and they wouldnt let him release it...
Really? pointers?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Really? pointers?
I assume you mean links:

https://reviewjolla.blogspot.co.uk/2...s-app-for.html

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Liv...S/idi-p/231460

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post: