Notices

I have installed everything from Blaizzen's latest "Release.zip" and followed his instructions carefully.
It seems to work, I have to test it on a real trip tomorrow. At least I heard a first announcement of espeak... Splendid!
Also, the speech server seems to be using almost no CPU when running idle, which is nice.

One thing was odd:
The POI button toggles POI displaying. But: after changing to "All" in settings, it took about 10 minutes until "all" categories of POI appeared (instead of just the preselected subset).
While this long time, the Maps app was fully responsive. Bug or feature?

Thanks for this megacool hack.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm53 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by CormacB View Post
Blaizzen: in your index.html you don't need to include evalspeech.js as it is not being used by your navigation logic.
Actually the evalspeech.js file is now the hardcoded array for the speech. I should have used a different name to reduce confusion, but I was lazy at the time

As for turning off R2D2 from saying your streetnames
Code:
        _guidanceWarn :function(ev) {

var distanceParts = nokia.maps.pfw.Units.getReadableDistance(ev.data.distance, nokia.maps.mapPlayer.map.isUsingImperialUnits());

var unitsSound = soundFiles[distanceParts.unit.slice(7,distanceParts.unit.length - 2) + ".sound"];			
			var valueSound = soundFiles[distanceParts.value + ".sound"];
			if ((typeof valueSound == 'undefined') || (valueSound == "")) {
				var valueSound = distanceParts.value;
			}

//var msg = valueSound + "|" + unitsSound + "|" + ev.data.maneuver.getSound(navTrans, true);
			var msg = valueSound + "|" + unitsSound + "|" + ev.data.maneuver.getSound(navTrans, true;
            SayVoice(msg);
        },
Change getSound(navTrans, true); from true to false

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I'm suprised this thread hasn't exploded, this is unbelievably cool! I can't believe it took a Pharmacist with an "interest" in programming to implement voice guidance in to Ovi Maps in a few weeks....how long has Nokia had, about 18 months?

Congrats and thanks again to Blaizzen and CormacB, you guys rock. I'll try Blaizzen's version when I get back from holidays in a few days time...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Melbourne Australia
I wounder if ovi maps will ever become a good alternative to sygic

The Following User Says Thank You to justice4all3000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by justice4all3000 View Post
I wounder if ovi maps will ever become a good alternative to sygic
I wonder whether modrana will ever become a good alternative to ovi maps, sygic and navit taken together.

Seriously, sygic and ovi maps are closed-source, and navit cannot show satellite tiles.

Though, I think that HTML/XML/XUL are better than Python.

And for me the main feature is being able to use it off-line with limited battery.

I would be glad to have accelerometer/gyroscope/compass combination precise enough to replace GPS when its signal cannot be received (Underground?).

For now, Modrana is my favourite, and Sygic is the antipode.

Originally Posted by justice4all3000 View Post
I rarely have credit on my phone so offline navigation is a must for me
Agree. For these cellular providers, even infinitely large credit would hardly be enough.

An idea: put a barcode scanner on a lamppost; when it reads appropriate barcode, it activates WiFi router for several minutes for the person who gave the barcode to get anything it wanted.
Potentially, the camera could track barcode movement and rotate WiFi router's antenna correspondingly. It would make WiFi harder to intercept, power-saving, and the whole system could get electricity from a solar panel and use the same camera which is already used for other purpose (like, traffic camera; and then passengers could have Internet on the road).

Who will pay for WiFi (free WiFi is quite rare)? Well, if you already have Internet from XYZ at home, then make barcode from text "XYZ", and cameras which have XYZ's WiFi routers will then connect with your device and log into XYZ's service. You would use the same Internet provider as at home, you wouldn't need to worry about slow-and-expensive cellular data plan, and, as special benefit for XYZ, its routers would not need to work all-the-day: they would be activated only when camera reads the barcode, the electricity would be from solar panel, the solar panels would be connected into a grid, and XYZ could claim itself to be "green". The electric radiation pollution wouldn't be too high (compare pointed beam with omnidirectional waves), the interference would be reduced, etc.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2011-01-21 at 10:11.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Melbourne Australia
I rarely have credit on my phone so offline navigation is a must for me

The Following User Says Thank You to justice4all3000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
* Multiple language support: if you use a language other than english then download the correct voices zip file for your language, use it instead of english.zip and it should work
Sorry for not browsing through the whole thread, but where can I download the voice files?

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by d-iivil View Post
Sorry for not browsing through the whole thread, but where can I download the voice files?
Here you/they are:
Voice files are here: http://symbian.clanteam.com/indexmaps.htm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ indonesia
New version attached.

Fixes:
* Better handling of time/distance from last maneuver which turns out to be ver important for the nokia logic.
* Correct speed and position tracking

Improvements:
* Blaizzens improvements (aside from his voice nav) integrated
* Multiple language support: if you use a language other than english then download the correct voices zip file for your language, use it instead of english.zip and it should work

Language support is the main reason to use this version over Blaizzen's as Nokia has already written the logic for the different languages. But there is no street name support and it would be difficult to add.

Blaizzen: in your index.html you don't need to include evalspeech.js as it is not being used by your navigation logic.

so by this mean I can use my native language as defalult voice navigation, if I use indonesia_male I take it from my n86 or n95 instead being concern if its not working. so I just place it under cities folder or I should run command like Blaizzen posted before. sorry still dunno noob here.
thanx in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to cloud596 For This Useful Post:
Is there a config.xml along with the sound files? You could also get the indonesian voice files from http://symbian.clanteam.com/indexmaps.htm or http://www.hpsblog.com/2009/07/direc...0-without.html

Step by step instructions for Indonesian:

I am assuming the indonesian voice files are zipped in a file called indonesian.zip from the linked site and all files are saved to MyDocs. Otherwise you might need need to change some paths.
  • Download index.html.gz from here http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...3&d=1295624977
  • Copy your voice files to your N900
  • Open X terminal and become root
  • Run
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/nokia-maps/html
    mv index.html index.html.backup
    cp /home/user/MyDocs/index.html.gz .
    gunzip index.html.gz
    cp /home/user/MyDocs/indonesian.zip .
    unzip indonesian.zip
    rm indonesian.zip
    cd indonesian/ind-bahasa_male
    for f in *; do mv $f $f.wav; done
  • You now should have config.xml in /usr/share/nokia-maps/html/indonesian and a bunch of wav files in /usr/share/nokia-maps/html/indonesian/ind-bahasa_male
  • Startup maps and create a route. It should automatically use the selected "id-ID" locale to pick the right sound folder.

Edit: the attached updated index.html will show an error message if it can't load the voice config. It also is possible to change the language used by renaming the folders or changing the _codeToFolder mapping in index.html

I also don't know if it is possible/how to change the language for maps so that I can test this myself
Attached Files
File Type: gz index.html.gz (229.4 KB, 2290 views)

Last edited by CormacB; 2011-01-21 at 16:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post: