Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Now they just need to make better batteries.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Android is dead 2017.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
People dead 2012... so all this is moot :P

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
article's point is standing on a ******ed premise that just because they are both operating systems that they can be compared, so the whole idea of android beating windows is ******ed since android(or chrome os) cant replace ANY usefull OS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Things could get even more interesting as Linux and Android are merged...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...g-system/10625

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89N11J20121024
For those who bought Maemo devices because they offer freedom, these aren't good news.

Sure, MS isn't "open" as in "open source". But at least they used to offer a relatively open platform (slowly changing now) that allowed people to have control over their data and hardware.

Google's Android, while offering open code in theory, is a much more dangerous threat to freedom than MS. They pretend to be open, but in fact encourage proprietary licensing and discourage GPLed code. They take all the data they can get, your mails, your contacts, your appointments, your documents, your searches, your location data and so on.

I wouldn't go "ha ha ha" if Google really gains more influence than it already has and overtakes MS in this business.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Things could get even more interesting as Linux and Android are merged...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...g-system/10625
again r.etards writing stuff they dont know s.hit about, its linux as linux the kernel merging with android version of linux kernel, not linux operating system(GNU/linux) merging with android, so not important at the least

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
For those who bought Maemo devices because they offer freedom, these aren't good news.

Sure, MS isn't "open" as in "open source". But at least they used to offer a relatively open platform (slowly changing now) that allowed people to have control over their data and hardware.

Google's Android, while offering open code in theory, is a much more dangerous threat to freedom than MS. They pretend to be open, but in fact encourage proprietary licensing and discourage GPLed code. They take all the data they can get, your mails, your contacts, your appointments, your documents, your searches, your location data and so on.

I wouldn't go "ha ha ha" if Google really gains more influence than it already has and overtakes MS in this business.
You're paranoid. Google is better than Microsoft. Period. Please let me know when Microsoft releases any of their kernel's source code. All of Google's middle-ware can be replaced if need be.

Fvck Microsoft and the propriatary piece of sh*t horse they rode in on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
again r.etards writing stuff they dont know s.hit about, its linux as linux the kernel merging with android version of linux kernel, not linux operating system(GNU/linux) merging with android, so not important at the least
I'd like to disagree.
While there's nothing to stop the OEMs from modifying the kernel.

Firstly, the Nexus devices will be using stock kernel that means native Ubuntu, even if theoretical (also means Mer!).

But the majority of the devices will have OEM-kernels which are based on and close representatives of stock kernel. Which means at least Samsung and SONY, and probably Motorola. Which means a heavily modified ROM of Ubuntu/Mer on the OEM's kernel.

I'm flattered

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

I never really understood the general attitude toward Google collecting information. If you take the time to read practically any privacy policy on the web (yes, including this site) you will see that they all allow the capture your personal information and to use that data at the discretion of the sites owner. Go ahead, take a look.

But this is old hat. Companies have been doing this for years to better market products. This includes government, enterprise, not-for profit, and extends all the way down to small retailers. All (successful) organizations collect and analyse information (even if its just receipts) about their customers and exploit this information to make more money.

This certainly includes MS who has proven themselves to have far less scruples than should be legal.

Incidentally, the company that you claim is worse than MS, Google, is also ironically one of the ONLY companies that actually allows you to remove your collected data, and even provides a user-friendly interface to do it. They even promote transparency by making it easier for lay-people to read their policies!

To think that MS is somehow a more responsible holder of your information is straight lunacy.

- Capt'n

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2012-10-28 at 23:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post: