Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I'm successfully* booting Mer but I can't seem to get the xserver to work. I have installed the packages from the mer repos for xorg.
I tried to setup xorg.conf but I'm guessing I have the wrong settings. All I get when I try to start the xserver is a blinking screen.

Incidentally, it also seems to choke on alsa during startup but I'll worry about this later... I also occaisionally run into dsp errors on bootup.

Edit: Actually, if I run $startx I get a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can't move.

Last edited by neatojones; 2008-12-31 at 22:39.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Grab http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/mer/m...ge-v0.4.tar.gz and unpack it on a partition where you have a deblet-style bootmenu.d item with linuxrc pointing to .. then it probably doesn't act that badly.

Warning: not the actual initial image we're going to release, but just one so you don't have to mess about with doing strange things with our repository (which was down earlier - I have power supply problems )
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Warning: not the actual initial image we're going to release, but just one so you don't have to mess about with doing strange things with our repository (which was down earlier - I have power supply problems )
I will do that...but it was kind of fun hacking through it all. I learned a bit about how it all works. Apparently, not enough yet

I'm too used to hacking on x86 linux.

Any idea why I might not be able to connect to the internet in the packaged version you posted? It doesn't seem to want to connect even through the chrooted environment from Maemo.

I finally discovered why I was having the xorg issues in my own version. It was indeed my xorg.conf file.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
Any idea why I might not be able to connect to the internet in the packaged version you posted? It doesn't seem to want to connect even through the chrooted environment from Maemo.

I finally discovered why I was having the xorg issues in my own version. It was indeed my xorg.conf file.
/etc/resolv.conf
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Cortez, of omegamoon (did android on zaurus) has also put together zubuntu:
http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/static...e=ZaurusUbuntu

currently on 8.04; it's proving quite a popular topic on zaurus forum
http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showforum=160

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
yeah, i have been following that project... Too bad it is based on Hasty.. Witch is soo old :P