Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
Anyone here using Mediacoder to convert videos for N9? It would be nice if you could share your preset as I still couldn't figure out a working configuration even if I have h264 Baseline selected. What is the max supported bitrate?
Use MPEG4 video codec instead of h264 (avoid h264 until PR 1.2, then N9 might has better decoder) ... I have converted some Youtube files, even with very high resolution and they works well when I have chosen MPEG4 video codec ....

I have used mainly "Freemake Video Converter" and "Any Video Converter", but I think "Mediacoder" is just OK too ...

I have many movies too (unconverted ones) on my N9. All movies works great when MPEG4 video codec is used (it does not matter what file type (folder); mp4, avi, mkv ... and these movies look really great on N9 display ...

The Following User Says Thank You to jaripi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Eh? This wasn't your opinion a few short months ago...
You felt it was slightly better overall, & not just the brightness.
What's changed.....
Yes, due to higher DPI, the difference wasn't that great. However, I may also have been blinded by the initial excitement of finally owning the N9.

But objectively speaking, SGS2 does have a visibly more crisp non-pentile matrix AMOLED and it's also quite a bit larger. It may not be as bright as the N9 display but after using N9 for a while, I would rather the non-pentile SGS2 screen at that size/resolution/dpi as N9 display just doesn't look as crisp on white texts etc. Maybe I'm just more sensitive/picky but it is visible. Heck, I see the negatives of pentile matrix even on the Galaxy Note with its higher DPI 1280x800 AMOLED display. (although, it is at a higher dpi/resolution which makes it much closer to being it a non-issue)

Anyone here using Mediacoder to convert videos for N9? It would be nice if you could share your preset as I still couldn't figure out a working configuration even if I have h264 Baseline selected. What is the max supported bitrate?
Here's what I use:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=57

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Thanks to jalyst and jakiman. I prefer Mediacoder more since it has support for embedded subtitles with many subtitle formats , it's quite fast with cuda enandcoding.

Any idea how pr1.2 will improve codec support?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
No idea really. I was told they may fix/improve H264 main profile support but nothing beyond that. Only way to know is to sift through the commits in PR1.2 from link below. Might take a while. =P

http://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouc.../Harmattan_1.2

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, I thought the N900 already had some DLNA support somewhere...
Yes it did, kinda, wasn't all that great & fully integrated etc

I don't see why it should be that hard to do, I thought DLNA is just a layer on top of a conventional file transfer protocol. Maybe I'm wrong?
I would think that any DLNA-capable TV is already quite able to do the rendering on its side, no need for the phone to process the data before sending it...
I never said processing was to be done before sending.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-09 at 19:35.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
It may not be as bright as the N9 display but after using N9 for a while, I would rather the non-pentile SGS2 screen at that size/resolution/dpi as N9 display just doesn't look as crisp on white texts etc. Maybe I'm just more sensitive/picky but it is visible.
Oh yeah of course it's not quite as good in that usage scenario.
But I was speaking from the perspective of videos & most images.
It should be a non-issue there....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-09 at 19:37.

Maybe submit a enhancement request in the tracker?
They'll eventually resolve it if there's a solution coming in 1.2 or 1.3.
Otherwise they'll slap a big fat WONTFIX on it...

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
It does not match the high-end power you'll find on the current iPhone
Can you play any video file which hasn't gone through iTunes in an iPhone? So yes, A4 is more powerfull than N9's SOC but N9 still plays more formats right?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Arpa View Post
Can you play any video file which hasn't gone through iTunes in an iPhone? So yes, A4 is more powerfull than N9's SOC but N9 still plays more formats right?
Oh, well, yeah! The closed nature of the iPhone (and, for that matter, most of the "smartphones" out there) is why I ditched my iPhone years ago and have no interest in ever going back. (I would love to see iPhone-like hardware running an open operating system. Heck, I would love to see an iPhone just running OS X for that matter, at least you'd be able to use it to do something useful.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I registered minutes ago just to post about the codec potential.

I happened to visit http://www.ittiam.com/en/Embedded/Pl...0p-Bundle.aspx (via google search) which states the following:

Ittiam's multicore implementation of 720p video codecs on OMAP3 includes a highly optimized IVA only component. The IVA only components are capable of:
  • MPEG-4 SP decode at 720p
  • H.264 BP decode at 720p

Supported by an additional NEON assisted ARM Cortex A8 component, the resultant multicore codecs allow for enhanced video decode and encode performance beyond what can be achieved on the IVA subsystem alone. Examples of codec performance enabled by the multicore architecture include:
  • H.264 Main Profile (MP) and High Profile (HP) decoding at 720p, up to 30fps
  • H.264 Base Profile (BP) encoding at 720p, up to 30fps
  • MPEG-4 Simple Profile (SP) encoding at 720p, up to 30fps
So, this is a software issue anyway and can be resolved given enough dev resource.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to larkw For This Useful Post: