Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland
Have had trouble finding the nokia N900 available anywhere near me, but finally the vodafone store in Belfast has them in stock. Now I have to wait until 10th February until my upgrade is due on my contract as I dont have £500 lying about and my credit card is nearly maxed out lol.

Played with it for a few minutes in the store today and the screen was amazing. So responsive, so crisp and clear. Types a message with the keyboard and it was very fast and comfortable. With more use it will only get better. Didnt get a chance to use the browser cos it only had 2G signal at the time and the wifi required a login, but I will trust the reviews that say the browser is the best feature.

Im a complete linux n00b but have a few friends who are developers so should be able to pick a few things up off them and ofcourse all you braniacs on here. Gonna install Ubuntu on my laptop this weekend aswell to try and get a feel for is over the next couple of months.

Anyways sorry for a bit of a random thread but just wanted to share my excitement. Been looking forward to getting this phone since october 2009, and after a LOOOOOOONG wait, it's almost time!! Just three long weeks to go! :-)

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
WARNING!!!

Do NOT get the N900 from Vodafone direcly, Nokia are allowing them to use custom firmware - which is a bloody cheek, that basically means Vodafone are going to have to approve each update.

Based on their track record for Nokia N95 etc and Blackberry Storm's youll have to wait at least 2 months after Nokia release it...

Get your N900 from Carphone Warehouse or a online seller like mobiles.co.uk as they are all unlocked phones and use Official Nokia et al software, not butchered Network software....

The Following User Says Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
I agree totally. And at cost with Voda too!! Personally if you have the dosh to stump up front, I'd buy from Nokia directly. You'll pay it in contract charges anyway! But at least with Nokia its SIM free and you get all the latest updates, and you can use great price contracts

The Following User Says Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
You could order it from the states for about 350£...take advantage of the exchange differential.

I suggest:

www.amazon.com

or

www.newegg.com

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Oh OK thanks for the info. Have a voda N96 and had to change the product cosd to get any sort of a firmware update. Was on v11 with voda na d none were available. When I changed the product code and update, I was v30 or sumthin.

Question: I got my voda contract from Phones4U. Its due an upgrade 10th Feb. Can I upgrade through carphone warehouse or does it have to be vodafone or Phones4U?

Thanks again for the help. Dodged a bullet there!! :-)

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
You could order it from the states for about 350£...take advantage of the exchange differential.

I suggest:

www.amazon.com

or

www.newegg.com
How would that work with warranty? Seeing as these devices have a bit of a rep for failures out of the box at the moment (Mic issues, reboots etc) I wouldnt want to have to send it to the USA if something went wrong.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by r-t-q View Post
Oh OK thanks for the info. Have a voda N96 and had to change the product cosd to get any sort of a firmware update. Was on v11 with voda na d none were available. When I changed the product code and update, I was v30 or sumthin.

Question: I got my voda contract from Phones4U. Its due an upgrade 10th Feb. Can I upgrade through carphone warehouse or does it have to be vodafone or Phones4U?

Thanks again for the help. Dodged a bullet there!! :-)
I work at Carphone, you can do any upgrade there, I'm not sure if Phones4u are offering unlocked phones, they seem to be about 50/50 when it comes to network locked phones, a friend of mine got 2 LG Viewty's a few years ago for him and hes wife, one was unlocked and one was locked to orange..

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You're pretty much stuffed on warranty if you buy from overseas.

As for contract "upgrades" - that usually just means that you can now get a new subsidised phone (along with a new fixed-term contract). If your contract has finished, there's nothing stopping you from getting a phone from any other supplier, changing contract, or even changing network for that matter.

Even though its locked..im glad someone is subsidizing this phone..leads to more users..larger userbase...and more apps created. I hope even more carriers get it. Does anybody know the carriers that plan on carrying it?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I believe Vodafone have an exclusive in the UK, so it'll have to be sold un-subsidised on other networks.

Tags
n900, vodafone