Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by low View Post
Well, I'm all for keeping it here in the wiki since if it's moved to GDocs and back it's like double the work?
It was heavily discussed & decided (in that thread I linked to) as-to-why we should go with GDocs...
A Wiki (Maemo or ideally the Sailfish/Jolla sites) can be the ultimate target, once everything is much more refined.
Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread, when I have time I'll update the other thread with the new GDocs & place a link here.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-27 at 10:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
TBH, despite the fact that I'm firmly behind Jolla - it definitely appears that at the moment, I get the feeling that concerns and questions I've put forth to them have largely been either ignored or stepped around in emails. Completely agree with jalyst that just a tiny bit of acknowledgement to input and suggestions is all most of us are looking for, even more so here at TMO seeing as most of us here have been largely supportive of their efforts over the years.

The Following User Says Thank You to biatch0 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Stackable other halves.

I would definitely end up hauling around a brick.

Edit: and camera button

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-05-31 at 21:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Stackable other halves.

I would definitely end up hauling around a brick.
The third half? The fourth half?

The Following User Says Thank You to Martinhsl68hw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
One thing that worries me... Apple was dumb for making a proprietary connector that generated an entire market for iphone accessories with that connector.

Without some kind of standard connector, I see the OH resulting in the same thing... a slew of peripheral devices that are only compatible with one phone.

Do we think the second Jolla will have the same OH or will it be like the new Apple connector and completely different?

There needs to be some way to make it generic so people who want to can cut up and hack together their own OH with off-the-shelf components.
I hope that the OtherHalf connection with Jolla phone will be standard-based - like, a variation on USB topic. At the same, the physical shape of the connection between the OtherHalf and the Jolla phone will be so unique and comfortable to use, so aesthetically pleasing and reliable under any conditions, that the copycats will not be able to release any competition in time. With Jolla phones already being pre-ordered at this moment, many of the imitators will beg Jolla to share blueprints of exact shape of Jolla phone, so that they would be able to release compatible OtherHalves and phones. Jolla would be an idiot to not use this opportunity for collecting money from others by granting franchises to select few. Besides, a few high-quality polished OtherHalves being released by other companies at the same time Jolla releases their phone would make for a very loud splash in the mobile computer community.
And yes, a folded-wing solar-charger as OtherHalf could be an interesting idea. But, it should have some alternate useful function at the time when it is folded. And don't forget that a large solar panel should either have a large battery to store the charge, or be directly attached to the phone to charge it. And now I am thinking about ornithopter with large solar-battery wings. SunBat...
What about Sailboat Other Half for Sailfish-powered device? Take part in International Robotic Sailing Regatta!
Best wishes.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-06-02 at 00:48.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Some more ideas along the lines of recharging

--
Stick your cellphone in this cover/other half and spin it to charge it.
http://youtu.be/aP6ybB2KNI0
Add the flip out keyboard kickstarter project that someone else posted here to this thing and an additional battery or eink display on the back.
Scary I know, but not if the Jolla phone is made of liquidmetal.
Short version
Longer more in depth explanation
--
--
Somehow combine that ^ with this
http://www.greennpower.com/ as "other half" but shrink it
--

--
Compatibility and some exclusive other half with
the Scottevest gadget jackets <-- click on xray mode right side of screen.
--
--
Or maybe you could with a hat with a little one of these on top and your phone is velcroed inside underneath or maybe the hat can be a 2c hat also
--
--
Some kind of other half with goal zero tech
--
Can I has Jolla shoe

Last edited by aironeous; 2013-06-02 at 02:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Just this morning had a nice 60km spin with rollerskates, and it came to me what's a badly needed OH functionality: interface to the different HRM belts from various manufacturers!

Some belts, mainly the ones meant to use with a smartphone running SportsTracker use normal BlueTooth or BlueTooth-LowEnergy connection, but the belts meant for integrated wrist-computers use proprietary RF connection. Now wouldn't it be cool to have an other half that could use ALL and ANY HRM's from Polar, Suunto and Garmin.

If that turns out to be too much, maybe suggesting to manufacturers that they make OH's compatible with their belt solution, coming packed with the SW to run on the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Looking at the other half again on jolla's redesigned homepage.

Still wonder where the heck manufactor should insert all the stuff that people expect on the other half? Just look at the mainpart its thickness is fatter than other half.

Actually I start beleive it will noit have psysical connections only NFC....

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-06-06 at 10:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
1) camera lens
2) qwerty
3) solar charger
4) fm transmitter?
5) second sim
6) camera shutter
7) IR port like for Pierogi
8) Combinations of those (only reasonable ones )

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Looking at the other half again on jolla's redesigned homepage.

Still wonder where the heck manufactor should insert all the stuff that people expect on the other half? Just look at the mainpart its thickness is fatter than other half.

Actually I start beleive it will noit have psysical connections only NFC....
The other half...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo