Originally Posted by lma View Post
Apologies if I misread you, I just don't want to see this restricted to N9* only.
We're in agreement with that, and no worries as I could have expressed my point better

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-05-26 at 17:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I think you're reading that as common sense. All I'm saying is that the common sense needs spelled out
+1.
For any platform, where QT can reach - like blackberry toasters and android freezers - we have already separate poll of 25 devi9ces via QT program, yep?

you're right, that it was clear to me - via common sense - that by "multi-platform", I mean "our" platforms, i.e. Maemo, Harmattan and Mer. Symbian can be licking on the top, but shouldn't be valued as much.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Multi-platform category is a good one, and I'm all for it.

In a competition, especially with prizes, there is no common sense. If we want for the competition to go as smooth as it can, we need all the rules to be defined, so everybody is clear on them.

If we include only maemo/meego devices, most probably the winner will be the one with most of the devices, as without a physical device, porting becomes increasingly harder.

The less devices there are, a tie is more likelier. For which we'll also need rules.

IMHO, in competition we'll get what we ask for.
In the other categories we have the invisible hand of the crowd, that ensures some quality and necessity of applications.
If we look for bigger number of applications, we may end with a bunch of small, not so useful ones.

We should also define what is counted as a port. I know it's common sense, but the more the rules are defined the better in the end. They should have the same functionality. Everything has to work on all of them. And others. To not get into situation: it works... kinda.

Maybe we could combine the number of applications with a voting through some point system. Maybe 50-50 points, proportionally.
5 platforms, 10 points per platform.
10 applications, 5 points per place. 1st-50, 2nd-45...
Add points together, and compare.
This way, there would be some quality control, from the community.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Okay, so we need a voting for the Multi-Platform Award,
we'll suggest to target the maemo-ish platforms first,
and we'll take both amount and quality into consideration.

Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
Maybe we could combine the number of applications with a voting through some point system. Maybe 50-50 points, proportionally.
5 platforms, 10 points per platform.
10 applications, 5 points per place. 1st-50, 2nd-45...
Add points together, and compare.
This way, there would be some quality control, from the community.
Good idea, but would make the election process more difficult to understand.

How about that:
all apps which are available for multiple platforms will automatically be part of the multi-platform award voting.
In the voting process, we not only show the name of the app and link to it, but also show the amount of platforms it is available for so the voter can take this into consideration.
Of course not everyone would be able to test a multi-platform app on every platform it is available for...
But is that needed?
The idea of adding a voting process is just to filter out the low-quality apps from the high-quality ones, so testing is only needed on one platform.

The community participating in organizing the coding competition would just have to make sure that the app really runs on the advertised platforms.
I could test on N810, N900 (maemo5 and nemo), N950, BB10 dev alpha, Symbian, Android...
I'm sure we'd find iOS users if needed...

edit:
Thanks ljo for the donation about 60 Euro! http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_codi...ity_Prize_Fund

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-05-27 at 07:00.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
Sorry to half high jack the thread but as I am developing my first application and the information could be useful to others - what is the best place to ask developer questions specific to e.g qt mobility/qml?

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Sorry to half high jack the thread but as I am developing my first application and the information could be useful to others - what is the best place to ask developer questions specific to e.g qt mobility/qml?
Your best bet would be the Qt Developer Network forums: http://qt-project.org/forums/
You can also try Nokia Developer Discussion Boards: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/

You can also sign up for Nokia Developer Launchpad https://www.developer.nokia.com/Developer_Programs/

Last edited by mmlado; 2012-05-27 at 09:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
The development forum on this website, as well as the maemo mailing list are also good targets for questions. My programming questions around here were always quickly addressed by somebody knowledgeable.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
How about that:
all apps which are available for multiple platforms will automatically be part of the multi-platform award voting.
Sounds reasonable.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Any rules for "where to upload the binaries"?
At the last competion, for half of the apps I wanted to
test, I couldn't find any binary or I couldn't find the
maemo5 binary even it was announced for both (meego/maemo).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Any rules for "where to upload the binaries"?
At the last competion, for half of the apps I wanted to
test, I couldn't find any binary or I couldn't find the
maemo5 binary even it was announced for both (meego/maemo).
last year we encouraged to upload a binary to competition.meetmeego.org, but some participants asked to just include a link to the repository where it was uploaded, because the installation process was quite difficult.
We agreed while remembering that the easier the download process is, the more votes your app would probably get.

We could make the "Upload your binary" field as required for submitting an app, no matter what...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas