http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...-platforms.ars

Android has never been that interesting to me, and entices me less and less everyday. While on the other hand, Nokia Maemo products have always been interesting to me, and Qt, QML and the n9 entice more and more everyday.

Last edited by daperl; 2011-08-04 at 16:33.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
The problem is, we have very limited options, and Android is the most open of the currently available cellphone OSes (Meego and Symbian are kind of dead), and iOS and WP7 are not exactly very open.
The N9 phone is not really an upgrade to the n900. It has a slightly faster CPU, bigger screen and more RAM, but it loses the keyboard, FM transmitter, and notification light. It probably loses even the Flash 9.1.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
'The study—which was partly funded by the European Union—focuses largely on open governance, inclusiveness, transparency, and ease of access to source code. To quantify relative openness, the researchers established criteria and a numerical rating system with points.'

The conclusion may be convenient, but the criteria used were largely subjective, as were the means of measuring them. How do you reliably quantify 'inclusiveness' and 'transparency'?

In any case, it's getting to the point where I would prefer some decisive governance. The world has more than enough talking shops. At least Google are getting sh1t done. As long as the code is free, everything else is gravy.

My website

GitHub

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
What a poorly written and headlined article.

Out of the 8 mobile *development* platforms tested, Android rates the lowest.

You actually have to read the article linked at the bottom of daperls' link to find out that of the 8 platforms tested the lowest 4 are:

Android 23%
QT 58%
Symbian 58% (prior to going back to closed source)
MeeGo 61%

While better than Android, it seems QT and MeeGo have significant room for improvement as well.

I wonder if the report even includes recent events in the MeeGo world, and how the might effect the openess?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Ha, i just read the same story... while already knowing about most of the points. Did you got there by the link regarding Nokia's current business affairs that was posted here?

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Won't be long till this Andriod bubble breaks...!!!!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Hmm... HTC already pays MS royalties because of Android's Linux kernel usage and alleged MS patent violations (unjustified, but MS is a lesser evil than Apple, also they licensed WP / WinMo so they have a business relation on stake), Google is being sued by Oracle over the usage of Dalvik / Java, and so on... interesting times. I'm betting on webOS

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
I'd still put my money on Meego as Android 2.0!!!

OEM's are now thinking twice before slapping the green robot on their hardware...

Android + Qt = Linux paradise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ1PAdI6AY

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Android + Qt = Linux paradise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ1PAdI6AY
Heh heh...

I never understood the fascination with QT. As a UI framework, it seems quite bad and overly complex. But this is my ignorance speaking as I have little experience with it.

Perhaps someone can explain the fascination to me?

Tags
open source, openness