Notices

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Wow, did the new software update make microB better? A LOT better? I just re-flashed to the newest Diablo (47-3), and MicroB seems to have just as fast or faster load times than the Android browser! Fennec is now junk comparatively.

Android has some more features, such as kinetic scrolling and a "pane" mode, and much better Zoom in-out (like, it can actually go more than 80% out). But, this latest SSU has really made maemo and MicroB better! Video will be up as promised.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbzuG0HxhEQ

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Wow, did the new software update make microB better? A LOT better? I just re-flashed to the newest Diablo (47-3), and MicroB seems to have just as fast or faster load times than the Android browser!
The update made no difference in speed here.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbzuG0HxhEQ
The video seems to show that the two browsers are fairly much comparable. I do agree, however, that the two things that the Android browser shines at, zooming and scrolling, would be nice to have in MicroB too.

Best line in the video: "Microb can do [portrait mode browsing] too, but it requires some hacks."

Unlike the Android browser, which requires no hacks at all. Strange, you didn't seem to give a link to the .deb for installing that browser...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Unlike the Android browser, which requires no hacks at all. Strange, you didn't seem to give a link to the .deb for installing that browser...
Lol, I just realized that...

I was implying that a out-of-the-box Maemo OS can't do that, while a out-of-the-box Android can. Never realized that opening the Android box is a hack!

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
I just tried out a nightly build of Fennec from: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/
and it actually was usable than when I tried the whatever build that came out a few months ago.

Startup didn't take 30+ secs and I was able to browse websites this time. It still has issues with the virtual keyboard and it crashed my tablet least once, but least I could "preview" it this time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tweak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Wow, did the new software update make microB better? A LOT better? I just re-flashed to the newest Diablo (47-3), and MicroB seems to have just as fast or faster load times than the Android browser! Fennec is now junk comparatively.
You reflashed.

Also, don't forget some people run 3rd party kernels with patches such as SDHC patch. This might influence performance as well.

NEWS: I just saw on this URL http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/ fennec_1.0a2pre_armel.deb so this means 1.0 alpha pre 2 is released! Gonna try it out... *aum obama mea culta*

Edit: My experience thus far is no crashes yet. Still slow for me, but also stable.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-12-21 at 21:42.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
looks very promising , but way too slow still

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ shanghai , China
Start using 1.0 alpha pre 2 last night , lots of bugs , but i start loving it now .

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Berlin, Germany
Fennec Alpha 2 available:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fenn.../releasenotes/

Beware of my English! Beware of my English!