As in topic title, and can anyone please quickly explain the disadvantages of using a modified power kernel. Can I expect the same battery life or will it be increased slightly?

Thank you.

BTW, I'm new to the N900 and the heaviest program I use so far is MyPaint, which can be quite sluggish sometimes.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
This wiki article is up to date (at least it works):
http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power

I installed the new kernel after having my N900 only for 2 days, so I can't comment on battery lifetime changes. Mine is set to clock between 250 and 850Mhz based on the "ideal" preset and it's stable. Maybe more would be possible but I have no need for it.

I installed it and got my phone running at 1150Mhz on starving. There weren't any performance hitches and MyPaint was as smooth as anything I've seen on an iPhone.

The only thing I'm worried about is how safe a clock of 1150 @ Starving is. It's undervolted but it might still damage the phone over time. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Also, on the multitask screen the name bars above the programs had a slight glitch, even at stock settings.

I uninstalled the kernel then went back to 600Mhz. If anyone can 'convince' me that the potential for damage isn't that high then I'll happily go back to overclocking. The phone felt much better like that.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
its all in the wiki friend, no one can say for definate because up til now no one had really went about oc'ing phones, but the theory and the warnings are all there, its your device its your decision and we're not here to convince u one way or another, read it all and make your mind up, the one bit of advice i would give is not to bother with 1150mhz, i stay at 1000 and feel thats *more than* high enough.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
My guide:

http://www.adelamlj.com/index.php?op...n900&Itemid=71

You can see all the warnings, etc... Nobody needs to/should convince you. It's up to you... There is a trade-off...

But if you do it safe, there should be no problems IMO, by changing the speed according to your needs...

The Following User Says Thank You to AMLJ For This Useful Post:
I've also written a simple (as simple as I could) guide. It's in Greek, so you'll need a translator. You can also skip the text and just copy-paste the commands if you know what you are doing.

http://blog.giannoug.gr/overclocking-nokia-n900/

The Following User Says Thank You to giannoug For This Useful Post:
Posts: 242 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ UK/Scotland
put it this way, I dont think anyone has reported any problems due to oc and most people have been doing it for over a year and a half. Personally i'm at 900mhz with no problems

Cantonese Pen Power Input is only available in Hong Kong...SUX!

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Harisf1 View Post
I installed it and got my phone running at 1150Mhz on starving. There weren't any performance hitches and MyPaint was as smooth as anything I've seen on an iPhone.

The only thing I'm worried about is how safe a clock of 1150 @ Starving is. It's undervolted but it might still damage the phone over time. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Also, on the multitask screen the name bars above the programs had a slight glitch, even at stock settings.

I uninstalled the kernel then went back to 600Mhz. If anyone can 'convince' me that the potential for damage isn't that high then I'll happily go back to overclocking. The phone felt much better like that.
You don't really need to uninstall the kernel in order to get back to 600Mhz(250-600), you just need to load the default:

Code:
root
kernel-config load default
and even the boldness overclocker would not lock the frequency to max all the time. I think the guide you've followed has explained that very clearly. You'd like to reread it when you've query.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Overclocking itself should* not harm the hardware at all. What might happen is that the system runs unstable, crashes and might damage your file systems beyond repair, resulting in a bricked device.
However, at a certain point overclocking also comes with overvolting. This might actually damage the hardware. Therefore I play it safe and don't increase the voltage above what Nokia does in their stock kernel.

Here's a table with the frequency and voltage settings:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#Summary

*) I'm pretty sure of that, but don't sue me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by Ykho View Post
put it this way, I dont think anyone has reported any problems due to oc and most people have been doing it for over a year and a half.
no they haven't, the phones been out for a year and a half maybe, overclocking only started about 6months ago (i'm guessing here)

you're right i haven't seen anyone blaming oc'ing for a bricked phone yet, but time will tell, oc'ing will have an effect on processor life, but given the timescale of how long oc'ing on n900 has been possible, how many people got in early and clocked high, compared to the normal shelf life of the processor, its no surprise.

given that most of us will only keep the phone until the contract ends i think we'll be alright. (hopefully!)

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.