can someone please explain why i have to remove the power kernel? is there an update to the kernel??

Last edited by rhastdan; 2016-10-27 at 04:36.

what on earth are you talking about?

this is just an extra package in the app manager. Dont install it.
Only install Kernel power settings and you are done... leave power kernel obsolete alone, I think it's just an app which was transferred in repos by accident...

noo it's telling the people who own the repos to remove it .. not you because it's an empty app!

leave it

install kernel power settings and you will be able to overclock

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
OMFG. *Deep breath*

Leave. The. Kernel. Installed.

Don't touch it. Don't **** with it. Pretend that package that says "remove this package" doesn't exist.

That message is not out there for the users. For frak's sake, look at the version numbers of the power kernel package you have installed, and the one in the repos that says that. (Hint, the version number of the one in the repos is ridiculously smaller than the normal one you already installed.)

This is because the oldest versions of power kernel used an entirely different approach to some of the things Power Kernel does. At some point, two packages got created, and this one got left over. Therefore the developer changed the description and name of the older package, to say that the older package is obsolete. The newer package (the one you have installed) is NOT obsolete.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rhastdan View Post
im aware of that.. but can i still overclock my n900 without the kernel?
yes you still can overclock with the stock kernel, even if you dont install the kernel-power..

to make things simplier, just download kernel-power settings and it will install aswell as a dependency the correct kernel-power w/ the correct version..

how do i know that im uptodate?
Trust us. You ARE ALREADY up to date. Everytime Power Kernal is updated you will be told by app manager.

The power kernal that you can see in the repos is dead; deceased;; finito; an ex-kernel. The admin should have taken it off the server, but for some reason they haven't.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
so.. which has he better position in performance and power consumption? pr1.3 kernel or the power kernel.. need some proof.
I'm all up for helping newcomers when they are genuinely a bit lost or confused, but jeez stop being lazy and use the search.

(Top right hand corner, has the word "search" in big letters and a pretty big "go" button.)

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
7.30am... just about to get up and had a quick look at 'Talk' first...Now I'm getting up with a smile on my face and a skip in my step...thanks for this thread :-)

Dan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:

Tags
just shoot me, lazy prick, power user, ur boring