Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Nowadays intuitive is a lot more of "what mental models and user behaviour the users already know of and therefore would want to reutilize" than "give this design to a tabula rasa mind and see if he learns to use this".

Not saying if this is good or bad, but asking "whether this UI is intuitive" is more like asking whether this UI follows known patterns or not. In theory I could design something really "intuitive" but because it would be very much different from what are the currently known user patterns, there would be a strong initial feeling of "non-intuitiveness", because it differs from the norm.

Then again, designs like these do prove themselves or not over the longer term of use.

Few things in life are truly intuitive. If you wanted to turn off the lights in a room, you would be looking everywhere for the light switch, until someone told you just need to clap your hands (sound-activated sensor). That doesn't mean it's not intuitive to clap the lights on and off - it's just not very used
I found the iphone's interface extremely strange at first - because i was expecting at least some sort of structure, not a 3-page dump of everything the thing could do, even if a good-looking dump

Last edited by MrGrim; 2009-11-06 at 13:17.

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Nowadays intuitive is a lot more of "what mental models and user behaviour the users already know of and therefore would want to reutilize" than "give this design to a tabula rasa mind and see if he learns to use this".

Not saying if this is good or bad, but asking "whether this UI is intuitive" is more like asking whether this UI follows known patterns or not. In theory I could design something really "intuitive" but because it would be very much different from what are the currently known user patterns, there would be a strong initial feeling of "non-intuitiveness", because it differs from the norm.

Then again, designs like these do prove themselves or not over the longer term of use.
True that's why a company like Apple can convince everyone that zooming in via pinching and zooming out via a spreading motion is intuitive (frankly to me it should be the opposite way around if you were going to use these motions).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Here is what he said on intuitiveness:

Most of it is intuitive; however, the lack of a back button (or any other button for that matter!) meant that sometime you had no clue how to navigate around the device.

For example, to back up from an application or a Web page, you press the very top left of the screen. Unfortunately, there;s no icon there to indicate this functionality, so if you;ve never used the phone before, you;ll have no idea what to do whatsoever!. Of course, you;ll get used to this over time, but it;s unnecessarily confusing
Now I have yet to try out a N900 so I can't say if I agree or disagree, but I have wondered about it... and if maybe by "intuitive", he means expected or familiar. After all, most of us have had cell phones with a home key, menu key and back (or ESC) key and know well how to use them.

I will keep an open mind, but I still suspect that having NO keys on the face of the device was not done for reasons of practicality or functionality.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
This I respectfully do not agree with. Especially if you are attempting to equate commercial success with successful UI design. There are just too many other factors that relate to product success. It could be lowest common denominator rather than quality that leads to success. Cheap beer sells more than beer which is better but more expensive. People say the Apple Newton design was very good, even though it flopped commercially, etc.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
This I respectfully do not agree with. Especially if you are attempting to equate commercial success with successful UI design. There are just too many other factors that relate to product success. It could be lowest common denominator rather than quality that leads to success. Cheap beer sells more than beer which is better but more expensive. People say the Apple Newton design was very good, even though it flopped commercially, etc.
Yes. I meant "prove themselves" as ... as when you would do an usability test for a feature. At the end of an usability test (as long as it is not only about first impressions), a design can prove itself or not.

Naturally that doesn't mean "prove themselves" in terms of such a design being a commercial success or not. (Just look at Palm Pre, for instance. It has a really nice design in many areas.)

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
True that's why a company like Apple can convince everyone that zooming in via pinching and zooming out via a spreading motion is intuitive (frankly to me it should be the opposite way around if you were going to use these motions).
Er, it is the opposite way around.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I went into Apple store to try out iPhone, kept rotating the browser to horizontal expecting it to rotate, and it stayed in Portrait, struggled with the on screen keyboard. I left and went back to my very intuitive E71 Symbian device. It has a key for Mail, a key for calendar and a key for Contacts 90% of my use case for a phone covered.

Mike C
The iPhone's browser disables the auto-rotation when you have the keyboard out, for whatever reason. I think this is the cause that the iphone that you tested were locked in a single orientation.

Try as I might, I can't make my iPhone (3gs) to 'lock' the browser even when rotating it very very slowly near horizontal position, with the keyboard hidden.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
bad review, very bad