Active Topics

Not sure if I'm alone in this one, but it bugs me that the notification light doesn't flash fast enough, especially for text messages.

For example; I leave my phone on my desk, walk away to make lunch, come back in the room and check if I received any texts while away. I have to stare at the screen for about 2 seconds to see if the light is flashing. I know it doesn't sound much, but all I want is a quick glimpse before I continue with my work.

A much better example is when I was at a gig recently. I had a friend that was upstairs and we were texting back and forward. It was loud and I was having a boogie so I couldn't feel the phone vibrate to check if a text had arrived. Every minute or so I would have to take the phone out of my pocket and stare at the notification light. I felt like a bit of a knob holding my phone in front of me and staring at it lovingly for what seemed like an eternity to see if the light was blinking. Chances are someone next to me thought I had attachment issues with it. Which I do, but thats another story...

Surely this can be done with a simple modification in Linux. Any Linux heads out there that can help me? Please?

Cheers,
Bryan

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
MCE LED pattern editor is the easiest method.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
i have downloaded this and now cant find it??? i believe it should appear in the settings????

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I'd like to see someone demonstrate how to adjust the rate and stuff. I was too scared to tinker too much because it said it could write a bad config file and mess things up.

I installed it and it appeared in settings, but I know what you mean christexaport. I haven't written the file because of the scary warning about bricking your phone!

also, when I went back in to test it again it was quite buggy. i.e. when testing, the light wasn't flashing like it should, so i'm a bit worried the application isn't ready yet...

shame because it is exactly what i need

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Ottawa, Canada
I ended up playing with this for a while last night. It is *very* comprehensive, and quite cool as you can select from 7 different colours, but also you can independently control 2 different primaries at a time to create some different colour mixes.

I too noticed that it "cuts out" far too soon sometimes. In my experience this seems to possibly be caused by some kind of illegal setting; when I played around with the values a bit -- usually slowing things down, making sure that numbers didn't drop too far beyond either bottom or top extreme, etc. -- the animation would then play fine and indeed loop fine continuously when testing.

Stuff I did:

* fast and frequent blinking red light on phone call
* Short double green blink on new IM
* Short triple yellow blink on new SMS
* Slow orange fade-out on new email
* Kept the double-blue blink for "Common Notification"
* slow fade-in orange light while charging
* Slow fade-out dark green light when fully charged

I saw the scary message too and opted to copy it manually the first time; the second time I went back and made some tweaks and let the software apply the changes.

In short, everything went fine for me but that doesn't mean it will for you. All of the changes I made worked fine -- but as I said, they all "tested" fine, too. If you want to play it extra safe, you may wish to spend a bit of extra time making sure yours complete and loop continuously, too.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
care to share your settings?

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
I agree with the timing period being a bit too long. I also stare at my N900 at work, waiting for that flashing blue light to appear.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Ottawa, Canada
Sure, why not. Just remove the .txt extension.

Again, if this melts your N900 it's not my fault, but it's working just fine for me.

Edit: As for blink frequency, these do vary a little bit in my design. it may well be that the frequency has been intentionally defined as a balance between promptness and power savings; mine are not numerically perfect or anything. I suspect most people would probably want a shorter notification blink, but whatever, this was a first stab at it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mce.ini.txt (18.3 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by isolationism; 2010-05-02 at 03:00.

what is the app for this and in which repository?