Active Topics

Notices

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to install iptables firewall on N900?

As far as I am aware, the default kernel is not compatible with iptables, or is it?
If it's not, how do I install both the compatible kernel and the iptables itself?

I've found some posts which are related to my question but since I am new to Linux I still couldn't understand how to install them

Also, if the default kernel of N900 is not compatible with iptables and if I do a firmware upgrade on my N900, will the compatible kernel got replaced so that I will have to reinstall it again?

Thank you in advance.

P.S.: If there's something wrong with what I said, please correct me since I'm not sure if I understood those things properly. All I want is a firewall

Last edited by Bricker; 2010-03-19 at 00:13.

any answer please?

by the way, I've just found iptables package here:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/iptables/

Can I just use it?
Which one should I download?
And do I just install the deb file?

Last edited by Bricker; 2010-03-19 at 00:26.

Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to install iptables firewall on N900?

As far as I am aware, the default kernel is not compatible with iptables, or is it?
If it's not, how do I install both the compatible kernel and the iptables itself?
correct, iptables is a kernel module in linux but i not in the fremntle kernel.

you would need to compile your own kernel and put it in an image and flash the device with it I believe. Not ure if you cn recompile kernel on device, but I doubt it
I've found some posts which are related to my question but since I am new to Linux I still couldn't understand how to install them
If you are new to linux, maybe try recopiling a kernel on a desktop distro first before trying it on such a customized embedded kind of device. I am no stranger to linux or even custom kernels, but recompiling a kernel for such a specific device is more thn I want to bite off for sure.

Also, if the default kernel of N900 is not compatible with iptables and if I do a firmware up'grade on my N900, will the compatible kernel got replaced so that I will have to reinstall it again?
yes, most likely. the firmware updates just rewrite that entire part of the filesystem i believe

Thank you in advance.

P.S.: If there's something wrong with what I said, please correct me since I'm not sure if I understood those things properly. All I want is a firewall
well, the device is not really running ny service so a firewall isn't really necessary, IMO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your answer.

By the way, can I just use the package here and how do I use it?:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/iptables/

The explanation says that:
"These are the user-space administration tools for the Linux kernel's netfilter and iptables."
Does this mean that it includes the kernel?

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
well, the device is not really running ny service so a firewall isn't really necessary, IMO
Does the device block all incoming connections by default?

Last edited by Bricker; 2010-03-19 at 02:18.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post

There is sshd available and working for N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
There is sshd available and working for N900.
Thanks. This answers my question on whether the device blocks all incoming connections by default or not.

I still need some help on iptables though

The Following User Says Thank You to Bricker For This Useful Post:
Also discussed in this thread.

I'm still not 100% sure you cannot not do very basic iptables (setting input policy to drop for example) with the stock kernel.

I have not tried it and I'm running a custom kernel because I'm developing a mobile hotspot.

Compiling a new kernel (or just modules in case they do not require any special/extended symbols in the kernel proper, but netfilter does...) is not really that hard once you have a working scratchbox (see for example the bottom of the hotspot project page).

There is also kernel-maemo which is a (separate) custom kernel with even more features than the hotspot one (which basically adds only netfilter and qos).

As for "sshd available and working" only if you explicitly install it.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
By stock kernel, did you mean the default kernel which came with the device?
And if it is, has anyone tried?

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
.I'm still not 100% sure you cannot not do very basic iptables (setting input policy to drop for example) with the stock kernel.
I think this basic iptables suit my needs enough.
All I want is to block all incoming connection and block unused outgoing ports, allowing only outgoing ports that I use.

Can anyone help me further?