Don't have a windows box available at the moment, but I tried the "export DISPLAY=10.x.x.x:0" on my linux box, and still no joy. $DISPLAY shows that the variable is set right, but it still won't show up.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
> The output will be something like:
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 10.0.0.126:0
> 10.0.0.126:0

This is easy: Your X client (i.e. the application, like xterm for example) does not have permissions to open the screen on the X server.

On the X server, do a "xhost +" (no quotes)

This will allow permissions for ANY client to open the display. Still, the DISPLAY variable has to be correctly set like this on the X client side:

export DISPLAY=192.168.192.1:0.0

(As a side not, when talking X windows....everything seems "reversed" (aparently), the server is the display and the client are the actual applications, like xterm, xeyes, and others.)

Hope this helps.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
With openSuSE 10.2 I also did "xhost +". No problem from another linux box to the target linux box, but no luck with n800. But with the windows X server it works! There is some deeper problem, but I have neither further ideas nor enough time...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by febb View Post
> The output will be something like:
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 10.0.0.126:0
> 10.0.0.126:0

This is easy: Your X client (i.e. the application, like xterm for example) does not have permissions to open the screen on the X server.

On the X server, do a "xhost +" (no quotes)
Misunderstanding:

The error is expected because 10.0.0.126 doesn't exist on the network. ("xhost +" was done before, also x was started without any xauth-magic that could add additional trouble.)

The unexpected and interesting part of the game is that you don't see this error on the 770. Mind you, even if xhost/xauth/... setting were all correct, the IP-address doesnt exist, there's no way to open a display on the remote machine. Still, there's no error and the application runs locally.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Misunderstanding:

The error is expected because 10.0.0.126 doesn't exist on the network. ("xhost +" was done before, also x was started without any xauth-magic that could add additional trouble.)

The unexpected and interesting part of the game is that you don't see this error on the 770. Mind you, even if xhost/xauth/... setting were all correct, the IP-address doesnt exist, there's no way to open a display on the remote machine. Still, there's no error and the application runs locally.
In my case, the IP address and all other parameters ARE valid/correct. For the X server as provided by winaxep on windows xp everything works as expected. For the X server as provided by my linux box it does not (if the client is my n800, but it works if the client is another linux box)! I did all experiments in a fixed environment to avoid trivial errors. So what is the relevant difference between both X servers???

Originally Posted by gammer View Post
In my case, the IP address and all other parameters ARE valid/correct. For the X server as provided by winaxep on windows xp everything works as expected. For the X server as provided by my linux box it does not (if the client is my n800, but it works if the client is another linux box)! I did all experiments in a fixed environment to avoid trivial errors. So what is the relevant difference between both X servers???
Really strange. I'm not an expert when it comes to X and I don't have Windows to try your setup, but what you could do is:

Do not log into the N800 via telnet/ssh/whatever from the windows machine but run the "DISPLAY=192.168...." stuff locally in the N800s xterm. From a pure X point of view, this should be the most straightforward way of using a different display. It also corresponds to the setup I tried.

The thing when you log in to your N800 remotely is that the remote connection may provide a fake 2nd 'local' display to the N800. "Fake local" means that it looks like a 2nd local display to the N800 but is secretly forwarded to the PC your connection originates via ssh. In this case we're making things more complex which doesn't help finding the cause of the problem.

I have reason to believe that the N800 actually ignores whatever IP-address is set in the DISPLAY-variable and only honors the part after the ":". It would be interesting to check this. (It can also be that theres a difference between my 770 and your N800 in this respect after all...)

Really strange. I'm not an expert when it comes to X and I don't have Windows to try your setup, but what you could do is:

Do not log into the N800 via telnet/ssh/whatever from the windows machine but run the "DISPLAY=192.168...." stuff locally in the N800s xterm. From a pure X point of view, this should be the most straightforward way of using a different display. It also corresponds to the setup I tried.

The thing when you log in to your N800 remotely is that the remote connection may provide a fake 2nd 'local' display to the N800. "Fake local" means that it looks like a 2nd local display to the N800 but is secretly forwarded to the PC your connection originates via ssh. In this case we're making things more complex which doesn't help finding the cause of the problem.

I have reason to believe that the N800 actually ignores whatever IP-address is set in the DISPLAY-variable and only honors the part after the ":". It would be interesting to check this. (It can also be that theres a difference between my 770 and your N800 in this respect after all...)
Ok, that's a good idea! Unfortunately, yesterday I sent my n800 to Nokia because there are weakly responsive touch screen areas and warranty ends in a few days :-( Now I have to wait, alone as I am...

Hmmm... I'll try to set $DISPLAY on the n800 xterm, rather than SSH.

But! Remember that xhost+ is a bad idea, except in a controlled environment! Xauth is the way to go, but is a little more complex.

The beauty of SSH forwarding is that it is supposed to handle the $DISPLAY variables and "faking" xauth, but in this case it's not working under Xorg's X server, but is working under a Windows X server. Very strange.

A few weeks ago I got back my N800 - new screen, all is wonderful. And now I did the test you have proposed: this time I did not log in via ssh, but the result is the same! All apps appear on my desktop (but without borders) when I set DISPLAY in osso-xterm. Do you have any progress?

Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Do you have any progress?
No, I've pretty much given up on this.

BTW: when running suse, did you try to eliminate all sorts of X security stuff such as xauth? it could well be that the two X environments (windows and GNU/linux) are not configured equally...