Has anyone ever tried the Angstrom distribution on 770/N800?

From what i understand the 770/N800 has a closed boot loader so booting an other os would be very hard to get working. But i could be wrong never really looked in to it. :P

Distribution images for 770 and N800 are here.

And here are some nice screenshots.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Have you installed it, or are you trying to find the person that did, and made all the screenshots?

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Hey can i know more about this?

This is like running a stripped-down gnome on the N800/770 right?

Angstrom is still a little buggy. I have it running on my Zaurus it's a pita to install on the Z, I have no idea on how to put it on a Nokia. It uses gpe for the window manager, there's also limited support for opie, and enlightenment. If it was a little more stable, I'd probably flash it to the Nokia. I'm not a big fan of having the launch bar down one side and the other bar across the top. Seems like they could be combined and free up some screen space.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Angstrom is not exactly the most user-friendly of distros. They have builds for an impressive number of devices, but leave everybody but embedded system developers scratching their heads going "now what?"

BTW, the screenshots that were posted here are not of it running on a NIT, as the resolution and aspect ratio is plainly wrong.

If you have more money than sense and are interested in bricking your NIT, I recommend you just on irc (freenode) and visit #angstrom. I don't recall his nick, but Koen was very helpful to me when I played around with Angstrom on my Netbook Pro.

Koen is also the guy in charge of the N800 port.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
Angstrom is still a little buggy.
Buggy in what way?

Anyway, i'll be able to run any application without any hildonizing if i use Angstrom right? Or would there be some Angstromizing before i can run programs?

Originally Posted by torx View Post
Buggy in what way?

Anyway, i'll be able to run any application without any hildonizing if i use Angstrom right? Or would there be some Angstromizing before i can run programs?
Well on the Z, I sometimes have suspend issues. Some apps work, others fail miserably. I still haven't been able to do any compiling on the device. They have a convoluted build system called bitbake, to compile apps you have "recipes". The distro is still pretty much a work in progress. You won't have to hildonize anything because they don't use the hildon gui, it's gpe. I've not seen any how-to's on installing on a Nokia though.

Tags
angstrom