Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Isn't it should be the same and they should build developers community?
No it isn't, should it be? Why? Community consists of many people, not all of them need to be developers:

The program is open to both developers and enthusiastic community members who support Sailfish OS by developing or advocating the platform
And how so to become a member of community you need just to pay the fee. What does it remind you btw? And how do I become member of community if i buy this device and not other Jolla device?
Work on your enthusiasm for starters, haters really make poor community members. What does what remind me?
Isn't anyone buying any Jolla device, even not Jolla's but device with ported SFOS part of the community. Don't you think actually that those who bought android devices to port and support Jolla. Those who donated refund to them. Those who active in community and create a lot of apps. Maybe those people deserve to get free one's from them.
Maybe they do, maybe they don't, not really sure what you're on about? Want some free stuff or what? Jolla is not in a financial position to fund those. Maybe you buy each person you view as 'worthy' a device, lead the way dude. Are you butthurt because you are not getting freebies?
But if they just sell phone for full price with no warranty and as they out they check if they can sell more(reminds me second waves of tablets btw). I do not think is anything about community, but mostly about money chi-ching.
Yeah, community asked for Intex devices to be available in EU, they listened and offered them, BAD JOLLA as always, geez. 69k euro heist, yup, makes total sense

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What happend if Jolla deliver a broken phone?
you keep both pieces!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
Care to specify that 'significantly less' with actual figures?

If you do, take into consideration proper VAT (for different countries) + postage.
How would you 'import' from Snapdeal - via agent or take a trip to India? Consider those, too.

What comes to warranty and distance: limitations exist e.g. you cannot ship mobile phones from UK to India, you cannot ship devices with batteries via post office from Finland to India (only via courier i.e. UPS/DHL, read: costly) etc... I'm sure other limitations exist. Of course, you can take (another) trip to India which is a bit pricey for that -as you put it- 'proper warranty' and IMO practically nullifies it altogether in usefulness.

Not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to see what 'significantly less' actually comes down to, proper warranty or not.
I'd seen an early misprint on a site re: the price - €275 ... €175 is a rather better deal.

However, sending things around - regardless of sparsely policed import regs - is rather less complicated than you make it sound.

Also, I don't think the battery part is significant. Since if the device is faulty as opposed to the battery, you need not return the battery.

Still, the seeming likelihood of them wanting to try to get away with a very limited warranty should be rather alarming. Especially given that this is Jolla (major issues in the past), and that Intex generally tend to offer EXTREMELY cheap devices from low grade OEMs, which probably have a higher than average failure rate. Also, I don't think a limited warranty is likely to be compatible with EU law. There is no way to not define this as a consumer product, given that despite the titular developer programme, it is absolutely nothing of the sort and makes no attempt to be. There's no selection or application process ... it's just first come, first served for ANYONE.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
It's sad to see that the only means of payment outside of Finland is Paypal. Even credit card payment is handled via Paypal...

Anyway, placed my order, despite loathing Paypal.
There is some doubt that they will implement any kind of payment processing for the Jolla Store before the Jolla Phone's 3rd birthday. Indeed, I suspect they may have given up on it completely now that they're hugely understaffed - not that it would have required any vast number of man hours.

Given the above, I don't think Paypal only is any kind of surprise.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Before anyone blame me for tags. It wasn't me.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I'd seen an early misprint on a site re: the price - €275 ... €175 is a rather better deal.

However, sending things around - regardless of sparsely policed import regs - is rather less complicated than you make it sound.

Also, I don't think the battery part is significant. Since if the device is faulty as opposed to the battery, you need not return the battery.
You conveniently left out VAT + shipping cost + how to actually get the phone from Snapdeal (they don't deliver outside India, as far as I know) -> more expenses.

So I'd say getting the Intex phone to your hands costs more than you make it sound.

And regarding warranty you know for certain the battery is not at fault, how?
But let's say it's not and it can be left out. The phone still cannot be sent to India at least by UK Royal Mail http://www.royalmail.com/india (under Prohibitions). Sure, it may not be complicated to send it otherwise - but it will cost you more.

Your 'significantly less' does not yet sound very convincing.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Before anyone blame me for tags. It wasn't me.
Sure it wasn't

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
You conveniently left out VAT + shipping cost + how to actually get the phone from Snapdeal (they don't deliver outside India, as far as I know) -> more expenses.

So I'd say getting the Intex phone to your hands costs more than you make it sound.

And regarding warranty you know for certain the battery is not at fault, how?
But let's say it's not and it can be left out. The phone still cannot be sent to India at least by UK Royal Mail http://www.royalmail.com/india (under Prohibitions). Sure, it may not be complicated to send it otherwise - but it will cost you more.

Your 'significantly less' does not yet sound very convincing.
Can you read? You even quoted the part of my post where I'd seen €275 as opposed to €175.

Most issues are not battery related. Many obviously not so.

Transporting Lithium-Ion batteries by air should not be an issue if they are detached from the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Transporting Lithium-Ion batteries by air should not be an issue if they are detached from the device.
(Actually it's the opposite, but it's an irrelevant point since you'd have to pay both EU and Indian customs, which certainly means it'd be cheaper to buy another device.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Can you read? You even quoted the part of my post where I'd seen €275 as opposed to €175.
*Ahem* my bad. Messed the currency in my head and understood you wrong. Don't drink & type, kids! (joking, I was just running late but never mind)... My apologies.

Most issues are not battery related. Many obviously not so..
Granted. But with or without battery the cost of shipping and related expenses can rise so much the actual warranty is a thin consolation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os