Notices

way cool!!
mypaint and mtpaint on my n800.
keep up the great work on Mypaint.
The brush selection is amazing for n800 device.
Off topic: Anyone know if we can get brush effects on photos. New to this stuff so be
gentle.Many thanks for Mypaint port. Dan

Last edited by dan; 2008-03-19 at 19:02.

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
any recent progress? Don't tell us you've abandoned the project!
No - I've been busy painting in real life :-). Besides I'm not the author, I just ported it...

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Any progress? It would be great to get a quick toggle brush items to the side of the screen and drop the color selection dialog to be openable from those brush items.
Say... 5 user selectable brushes, each containing color for the brush. The default settings being that one of them is the current default and another is a eraser. Also, ability to open an image as the starting point (png and jpg) would be very welcome.
Yes, that would be nice...
Customizing the UI (Menus, buttons, placement) should be trivial as is it's Python, the drawing area and brush handling is a C Python module.
I'll need help from all of you to optimize MyPaint for the IT, I've put the .src and .dsc at my site and those of you who has the SDK
installed and working - get the source and start hacking... All contributions are welcome!

This is a preliminary TODO:
osso-init voodoo (where to put...) for dbus service registration.
deb packaging (debian/control add missing python dependencies, add to "user" for easy install)
Makefiles: hildon specific data dirs locations, files: service, desktop...
ifdef maemo/hildon specific stuff or add patches
submit changes upstream
Limit the zoom-out level. As of now it's easy to crash the app with one too many clicks on the "-" button.

Next step:
Optimize touchscreen usage (ghost lines, pressure reporting, stroke handling)
Add toggleable palette/brush menu in drawing area for fullscreen usage (you mean that, konttori?)
Global pressure settings anyone?
Remove the bottom status bar, at least in fullscreen mode
Speed optimization? Lagging stylus makes it hard to go into right-brain mode...
Visual feedback when adjusting brush size, opacity etc (a temporary circle indicating brush size for 0.5 sec after switching)
From the mypaint list I read that the author is busy doing other stuff but intends to work on alpha (eraser) and layers in MyPaint.
I haven't been in touch with him (the author) but I'll be signing up for the list. I encourage you to do the same and let him know
we love his app, and that it fills an important niche on the growing free mobile OS'es (maemo, ubuntu mobile, moko)

Originally Posted by unique311 View Post
So I removed the screen protector, and mtpaint works really well now.
but mypaint for some reason the half of the screen is not responding picking up on strokes(left side).
I thought it was a problem with my tablet but i don't think it is because it works in mtpaint.
I tried calibrating the screen, and still the left being difficult.
it does work when I do draw with my fingers instead of the stylus.
Pressure is not reported consistently across the screen on the IT (a drawback of this kind of touchscreen) but I think it's usable anyway.
Mine loses sensitivity along the edges...
You can enable debug output from the menu and watch the values... (If you start from x-term)
On my n810 (typical values):
Pen: 0 - 0.170
Finger: 0 - 0.500

Use these output ranges when adjusting the brush pressure values...

BTW. I have not noticed any of the slowdowns reported (exept when using the experimental lift/lower strokes feature) what's happening and when?
Is it a harware related issue (I have a n810)?
Attached Images

Last edited by anders_gud; 2008-04-04 at 06:40.

Wow! This is a great application - thanks Anders!

I'm having issues installing. can anyone help?

I get "unable to unstall mypaint incomplete app package"

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kingka View Post
I'm having issues installing. can anyone help?

I get "unable to unstall mypaint incomplete app package"
Fixed package. (changed section to user/other)
http://pupnik.de/mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon1_armel.deb

This is anders_gud's build of mypaint - not mine. It has the following dependencies. These will not be automatically installed when you install the mypaint.deb from a file (this is an unfortunate feature of the application installer).

Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.2), libc6 (>= 2.5.0-1), libcairo2 (>= 1.4.10), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.12-1osso3), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2:2.10.12-0osso15), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.16.4), python2.5-gtk2, python2.5-hildon

(edit: Usage)

1) Make use of a scratch area - you can scroll left/right with dpad to your scratch area to do 'practice strokes' for each new brush/color setting

2) (N810 users) make use of keyboard shortcuts! I found that with black and white sketching, the X key inverts the color, allowing for a fast 'eraser' toggle. Also note the following mappings:
F Bigger Brush
D Smaller Brush
S More Opaque
A Less Opaque
R Pick Color
Ctrl+Z undo (very slow!)
Ctrl-Y redo
3) Leave your brush (and if you use it, color picker) dialogues open. Switch between main view and brush/color dialogues by clicking on the app-icon in the taskbar and selecting your window. This is a lot faster than closing and re-opening the brush window

4) Save often! The big advantage of drawing on a computer is "cheating" by undoing mistakes

5) Use a 'light pencil' to sketch initial outlines to help you get the proportions right. I'd love to have one layer reserved for the 'outline sketch' that is toggle-able. (Since often the outline sketching uses lines that don't really appear in the actual image.)

--------------

wishlist/todo stuff

- Remove the bottom status bar, at least in fullscreen mode
- Speed optimization? Lagging stylus makes it hard to go into right-brain mode
- Visual feedback when adjusting brush size, opacity etc (a temporary circle indicating brush size for 0.5 sec after switching)

------------------------
(edit2) this app is MADE FOR DOODLING! i love it!
Attached Images

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-04-03 at 21:49. Reason: changezorz

Thanks Pupnik/ArnimS!
Updated the .deb and .src at my site with your changes, dependencies and App Icon fix. Note! This is only a packaging update - no changes in functionality...
No osso-init stuff yet, would be nice to have some loading feedback.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
wishlist/todo stuff

- Remove the bottom status bar, at least in fullscreen mode
- Speed optimization? Lagging stylus makes it hard to go into right-brain mode
- Visual feedback when adjusting brush size, opacity etc (a temporary circle indicating brush size for 0.5 sec after switching)
I'll add it to the TODO list in the post above...
Thanks again :-)
Anders

BTW. 296 MyPaint downloads so far, nice...

Last edited by anders_gud; 2008-04-03 at 22:15.

Originally Posted by anders_gud View Post
I'll add it to the TODO list in the post above...
Ok another easy but important change is:

Limit the zoom-out level. As of now it's easy to crash the app with one too many clicks on the "-" button. (and losing a drawing to a crash is frustrating!)

(edit) I think this is the app that completely transforms the device for me. I'm starting to see the potential here for a real killer app.

Edit: A collection of hi-res vintage b/w photos (sfw) to use for sketching motifs. http://www.shorpy.com/

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-04-04 at 03:05.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I think this is the app that completely transforms the device for me. I'm starting to see the potential here for a real killer app./
I have to agree — this is a transformative application:

- you have to have a touch-sensitive tablet to really draw with a computer
- you really need the high-res screen the Nokia tablets have
- the app has to be drawing-oriented, which really means brush-oriented, and not editing-oriented

What a great gift you have given us with this port, Anders!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
(edit) I think this is the app that completely transforms the device for me. I'm starting to see the potential here for a real killer app.
I'm with you. Getting the hotkeys and interface to be as fluid and intuitive as possible should probably be the number one priority. I find myself stumbling over the interface a bit right now, and I think a good hotkey setup could really help here.

OK i've made some changes

* removed statusbar
* limited zoom-out to 0.5 scale minimum (reduce crashes)
* remapped hotkeys for more useful N810 experience
* recompiled with faster CFLAGS (seems faster at least)
* hildon banner show information when command key is pressed (e.g. zoomlevel)
-------------------------------------------------trying to implement
- a pop-up rectangle in the corner to use as a custom pallette (see how you can mix your own palette with blend tool below)

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-04-04 at 10:06. Reason: added todos