Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Originally Posted by qviri View Post
The article makes an implicit claim that netbooks can't do what most people do with their laptops.

Sure, it doesn't run Photoshop and you can't write a novel on it and it won't run shiny OS X flyout effects. But that's not what netbook buyers would use a laptop for, anyway.
Hmmm ... sorry but :

Photoshop can run on a netbook.
Some netbooks have very good keyboard, enough to write a novel.
Some netbooks actually runs OSX perfectly, with all the effects.

I believe that for most people with light computer needs, a netbook is enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Apart from the annoying fast food comparisons, what do you think about the basic point of the article?
Bah, the article completely disregards the way the pies at Jester Burger have shrunk over time in order to maintain their price point. They're now the size of Fig Newtons and completely uninteresting because of it.

I won't mention that though, because people will take it as a metaphor for something else, and we already have enough threads about something else.

Instead, I'll just note that the pies at Jester Burger are no longer served at a temperature approximately equal to that of the surface of the sun. I'm not sure what that has to do with mobiles, netbooks, or notebooks, but I think that it indicates a disappointing trend in modern society.

And upon further reflection, maybe I will like those Intel-powered phones that will be available in a few years.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ London
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Hmmm ... sorry but :

Photoshop can run on a netbook.
Some netbooks have very good keyboard, enough to write a novel.
Some netbooks actually runs OSX perfectly, with all the effects.

I believe that for most people with light computer needs, a netbook is enough.
s/Photoshop/Visual Studio and Eclipse/
s/can't/won't want/
s/OS X flyout effects/Vista/

I actually agreed with your last statement...?

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Qviri ... sorry, i don't understand what you mean by
s/...
s/...
s/...

i'm not a native English speaker, and not a native geek speaker

OSX runs with all the effects, at least on my Lenovo S10 (or there is some more effect on my macbook unibody ... that i never noticed).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
...i don't understand what you mean by
s/...
It's not English; it's geek. It's a command to select old text and replace it with new.

s/old text/new text/

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
...I'll just note that the pies at Jester Burger are no longer served at a temperature approximately equal to that of the surface of the sun. ...maybe I will like those Intel-powered phones ...
I see what you're doing there.

I have often thought that the environmentally conscious among us should be figuring out ways to heat our houses with the heat generated from desktop CPUs and GPUs, or at least figure out some way to capture that heat and use it, maybe make a small steam engine to power USB devices or something?

The fan on my high-end nVidia video card stopped spinning last year. In the absence of any active cooling technology, the fan then simply melted off of the card.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by qviri View Post
The article makes an implicit claim that netbooks can't do what most people do with their laptops.

Sure, it doesn't run Photoshop and you can't write a novel on it and it won't run shiny OS X flyout effects. But that's not what netbook buyers would use a laptop for, anyway.
This makes no sense to me, it must be some kind of joke I don't get. I'm referring to the "you can't write a novel on it."

(a) people wrote novels for some time without computers, and you can't write a novel on a netbook? I guess you can write a novel on just about anything.

(b) Someone later says that you don't need fancy stuff like spellcheck. What netbook is it that doesn't have spellcheck?

I was an editor for many years, and I could have done all the stuff I normally did as an editor on my netbook.

I suppose everyone has amnesia; they don't remember the many years in which you paid extra for small computers, and yet people did buy them -- I had a Dell Latitude, for example (and still do, but I never use it now, because my Asus 1000h runs so much cooler and better). Then someone actually started selling small for cheap! Of course people bought them.

How many people have written novels on their N800s and N810s, by the way? I bet a lot more people have worked on their novels on netbooks. I don't recall one single person here in the messages ever mentioning working on their novel on a Nokia tablet. Isn't that odd... If I'm wrong, please point the message out to me!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I wrote long essays on my Commodore 64...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
geeks write code, not novels

geneven: The "can't write a novel" argument is based on the alleged impossibility of touch-typing on a small keyboard, and the assumption that touch-typing is essential to novel-writing, not (AFAIK) on performance issues. I don't really consider either of these valid, but I can't touch-type or write a novel (with or without a netbook), so how would I know....

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I have often thought that the environmentally conscious among us should be figuring out ways to heat our houses with the heat generated from desktop CPUs and GPUs, or at least figure out some way to capture that heat and use it, maybe make a small steam engine to power USB devices or something?
Ensuring that your computer is inside the house, and is cooled by circulating room air through it, rather than, say, ducted to a wall, is sufficient to heat your house with it. Using a heat engine to recover some of it as useful work is a little harder.

In general, all wasted energy from electrical equipment contributes to heating. This also means, in cold enough climates, there's greatly reduced benefit to more efficient lighting, power supplies, or anything else. But for those of us where it gets warm in the summer, inefficiency can be doubly bad -- we use extra power, and then use more power dumping the heat through the A/C. While the payoff period is probably in the decades, waste-heat power generation from desktop computers could actually make sense for us.