Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA

I like being able to browse a network, even if its a windows network, cool stuff.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-03-21 at 17:52.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Penguin, this is awesome.

As someone with a sizeable supply of N800s on hand () count me in as another possible tester.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
count me in as well

I am about to print for the first time from a n800, wish me luck, I will let you know how it goes...

btw, that screenshot was taken with ksnapshot. KDE kix butt

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Please let me know how it goes!
Good Luck

Penguinbait, perhaps you could just make a torrent of the tarball and solve your hosting problems as such. That is what bittorrent was originally designed for anyhow. Just tell everybody to be nice and seed it for a while. Its just a suggestion anyhow.

By the way, thank you for your hard work. It makes owning an n800 that much more interesting.

Not a big torrent fan, personally, feel free once you get it.

I will be posting the file on my website, but I will be controlling downloads one at a time. Anyone who will be posting it for download will get first crack at it. its grown quite large, probably 750MB uncompressed, I think its about 250MB in bz2.

None of the menu buttons work for hildon stuff, so I did not include any hildon shortcuts, just a shortcut to connection manager on taskbar. All other things would have to be setup in hildon.

Arts is on there, hopefully one of you guys can tell me the proper setting to get it going. Cups is on here but I cant make it work, I think everything needed is here but there is a configuration problem, can't understand text files or postscript. I am looking to the community to help get this crap working and I will repost the fixes when if we get enough.

It will be available very soon, please email me contrib@penguinbait.com if you want a copy Once it is ready I will send out a link, I will be controlling the access one at a time. If you will be reposting the file, you will get preferential treatment

I tried to get everything working myself, but you would have to wait forever, as I can only spend a few hours a day on this, and my wife wants to break my n800, but she knows I would just buy a new one

So I am relying on you guys to help out!!!

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-03-24 at 03:18.

The first person requesting to download KDE has been given the link, email me if you want to get the file. contrib@penguinbait.com You can PM me if you do not want to use email, but my 50 message limit, is closing in fast

Here is what you will recieve back from me
--------------------------------------
Here is what I am doing, I will give you the link, and I am monitoring my
connection. You may download the file, DO NOT SHARE THE LINK WITH ANYONE. Once you have completed the download please email me telling me you are complete, so the next person can download.

244MB - 750MB+ uncompressed, + you will need root for OS. Not tested with NEW OS updated yesterday.

NOTE, the first time you boot it, using fresh flash, your menus icons inside Hildon will be all screwed up, rebooting will fix this, its because of an environment variable used for Menus. If you click where the menu icon is you can launch KDE without rebooting. You can not switch back to hildon from KDE, you must reboot. Have fun, if you get anything working let me know how to do it also (THIS IS AN ORDER:-) I know of no pre-req software on the N800, fres flash is all thats needed. You should be able to go over openbox, but I have not tested, so if it screws something up, sorry?

http://penguinbait.com/???????????.tar.bz2

If I see multiple connections to the file I will remove the link and send to the next person on the list

MAKE SURE TO LET ME KNOW WHEN ITS COMPLETE, AN EMAIL TO LET ME KNOW YOU STARTED WOULD ALSO BE NICE :-)

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-03-24 at 21:03.

Note if you want to setup KDE from scratch, you can remove or rename /home/user/.kde This is where the panel gets the keyboard icon, you can readd yourself /usr/local/bin/keyboard.sh The best way to setup is to use VNC server and you can right click. The ".directory file on the desktop, I changed a setting somewhere to show system or hidden files and now I can not figure out how to turn in off. You can delete it but it will come back on startup. anyway, let me know if you figure out how to turn it back off.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Czech Republic
You may download Matt's KDE port from http://www.kwik.cz/n800/KDE356FINAL1.tar.bz2