Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Nokia is moving to slow using slow and old technology. So what if its running an "open source" OS. Let us see it beat this beast.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/c...h-touchscreen/

Old technoloy? That junker runs old technology. It runs Windows CE

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
Nokia is moving to slow using slow and old technology. So what if its running an "open source" OS. Let us see it beat this beast.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/c...h-touchscreen/
And this thing is better than the tablet because....?

Man, did you read the sepcs? Windows CE.. HELLO?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
And this thing is better than the tablet because....?
earl00 is a known troll and flamebaiter. I suggest everybody ignores him.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-12-29 at 04:40. Reason: LERN 2 SPEL

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
That junker runs old technology. It runs Windows CE

LOL! Good one, pal!

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
earl00 is a known troll and flamebaiter. I suggest everybod ignores him.
what do you think your doing? don't be a contradicting idiot. u look like one but you don't need to act like it - if you have nothing to say based on the topic get lost troll.

Last edited by earl00; 2007-12-28 at 01:26.

Normally I would just ignore this thread, but I have 2 comments even though the thread resembles a fairly obvious troll

1. Thanks for the link at least. I always like to glance at new stuff like that, even if it's huge and runs Winblows.

2. The 7" screen makes it a closer competitor to an Eeeeee! (Which likely makes it a big loser in that market).

The Alchemy processor is MIPS architecture. Even though Debian has MIPS packages the device likely uses closed-source firmware which will stay that way since it uses CE and proprietary codecs, etc. So it's basically just an overblown portable (DVD) media player. If those devices come to the US expect to see them at WalMart next Christmas for $99.00

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
The Cowon N3 is a MEDIA PLAYER. The N800 is a COMPUTER. Forgive the pun, but you're comparing apples to oranges dude. I have looked at this as a replacment for my Cowan A3 media player. The biggest problem is that the N3 is illegal to posess in the US because of the DMB tuner, so you have to go overseas to buy and use. It IS one hell of a nice Media Player and it can receive satellite comms, so it's VERY cool, but NOT an Internet Tablet or an IT Killer. Sorry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electrolind For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
The Cowon N3 is a MEDIA PLAYER. The N800 is a COMPUTER. Forgive the pun, but you're comparing apples to oranges dude. I have looked at this as a replacment for my Cowan A3 media player. The biggest problem is that the N3 is illegal to posess in the US because of the DMB tuner, so you have to go overseas to buy and use. It IS one hell of a nice Media Player and it can receive satellite comms, so it's VERY cool, but NOT an Internet Tablet or an IT Killer. Sorry.
Uhh, they're both computers. If it runs wince (heh) it's a computer. Though technically a watch is also a computer. Calling the N800/810/770 what the average shmoe on the street would call a computer is kind of a stretch as well. It's a mobile web browser that does other computer functions okay, sometimes, with a little work, and work arounds.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

If you are going to look at something that big, then you may as well consider UMPCs with Real windows rather than WinCE.

At that size, the only advantage of WinCE is battery life as far as I can see. Perhaps cost as well. But then looking at the eee...

The main advantage I though something like CE offered apart from power requirements was the interface was better designed for a small screen. Get rid of the small screen and what's the point ?

Zuber

Last edited by Zuber; 2007-12-28 at 13:53.