Originally Posted by jdb2 View Post
Hello I recently bought a new-in-box Nokia N900 off of eBay. It was the EU Finnish / Suomi version, but it was still qwerty so I didn't really care
That Finnish version has that bad cursorkeything. But I have to say, you learn to use it quite fast. I even doen't notice anymore and I use N900 as main phone. But if you want only use Maemo with pocket computer, you should check N810, you can even find new from Amazon.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Haha
Great shout out for the n8x0s

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
That Finnish version has that bad cursorkeything. But I have to say, you learn to use it quite fast. I even doen't notice anymore and I use N900 as main phone. But if you want only use Maemo with pocket computer, you should check N810, you can even find new from Amazon.
Amazing you can find a "new" device that is over 10 years old! Box never opened or mint condition?

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Or is it the china remake version?

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Or is it the china remake version?
No. These are new old stock, but it seems that there is now only Wimax edition. Who bought that another one this week?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I use N900 as my main phone so it is not foolish to use it. Just wanted to make the situation clear we are at the moment.
Hello!
I haven't found a way to send private messages and do you have a Telegram account?
how to do install new browser in easy debian?
thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to enderman08 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
You need to post enough on the forum before you can send private messages. For to install a NEW browser check the thread Easy Debbie and from the end about ten last pages of comments. There you will find discussion and links to instructions how to install Netsurf 3.9 on debbie. But that doesn't support java or videos and many things still missing. There are no new browsers for the debbie which is debian jessie based with old kernel. Iceweasel is slow but usable if you have time and need to use some page other browsers can't handle. But no new browsers on this side of the rainbow. On the otherside of the rainbow is maemo Leste with new browsers. And on this forum there is a thread how to install kali linux on chroot and have heard that with the shared image you would be able to have a more usable chromium but have not tried.

As some has said, this maemo 5 is riding with a dead horse in many ways.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2023 @ Chelmsford, UK
Hey Guys

I recently purchased a used N900 (I still have my original old faithful that I will never part with and didn't want to mess about with...)

When I bought it, it was stuck in a boot loop, but thanks to the amazing references and support on these pages it is now fully functioning and running CSSU! I have overclocked and have a fully functioning IMAP email and the microb browser does what it needs to. I could hardly believe that the FORCA weather applet still works! I had to revive my N900 cos I dropped my Android phone and needed a phone till the replacement arrived but then decided to find one I could experiment with. Now I don't want the Android replacement! I love that my N900 doesn't pester me with endless notifications! Thanks so much for all of the contributions that have got me up and running and renewed my love for the most amazing device ever!! x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnyDeadlight For This Useful Post:
Sadly, carriers - at least here In DK - are letting go of 3G, even 2G is long gone. That will make an end to the N900 (and N9) phone functionality.
It won’t mean me letting go of my devices though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Sadly, carriers - at least here In DK - are letting go of 3G, even 2G is long gone. That will make an end to the N900 (and N9) phone functionality.
It won’t mean me letting go of my devices though.
In the Netherlands it depends on the carrier. I am using the one from KPN and I am covered with 2G until the end of 2025.

It will end one day though. After that the N900 could still function as a VOIP phone (WIFI) and off course forever as a micro Linux PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:

Tags
muarf, n900 in 2019, nokia ssu, update