Notices

Hey guys,

Two questions today which your masterful knowledge would really help me with I hope:

1. How does one send a file in Skype on the n810 (regular maemo OS)?

2. My headphones broke - how do you use skype with the microphone? was the microphone located in the headphones? (ie special headphones?) if so where can I get replacements and what counts as useable by the n810 (as I got a iphone 3G headphones with 3 rings but didnt work on the n810 so had to exchange for the regular headphones)

or is the microphone on the device itself? If so where is it at?

Thanks so much guys! (the send file is currently my more pressing question but both would be really really cool if you're able to help, Cheers!)

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
There's a microphone in the device, and the headphones have another one.

The version of Skype for Maemo does not allow to send files.

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chakotay_da_silver View Post
was the microphone located in the headphones?
Yes, there is a microphone built into the headphones.

...is the microphone on the device itself? If so where is it at?
Yes, there is a microphone built into the device itself. It is located on the bottom edge of the tablet, to the left of the external memory card door. The microphone is behind a pill-shaped hole there that isn't quite covered by the kickstand when the stand is closed.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I'm pretty sure it's on the bottom of the N810, (I have an N800, where it's top-center), but it's fine to use "as is" in any case.

I use the external mic/ speakers about half the time, and nobody's ever complained about garbled echo-y speech like they do when you're on regular phone's speakerphone. That's possibly because I keep it close by me, since it's more portable than a regular phone would be, therefore it picks up voice better than a speakerphone where the echoed speech is bouncing all over the walls and almost as loud (to the unit, via proximity) as your direct voice soundwaves.

As far as sending files over skype, I have never tried it so I can't answer that question.

Joe

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-04-20 at 19:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot guys..

So really? for Q2: there's ZERO ways of sending files over skype??

Last edited by chakotay_da_silver; 2009-04-20 at 19:29.

So really? there's ZERO ways of sending files over skype??
Yep. The maemo version of Skype is limited in many ways. No file sending, no video...
And as Skype is updating the Skype client on Maemo at most 1 or 2 times between two ice ages, I wouldn't hold my breath for seeing these features any time soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot guys..

So really? for Q2: there's ZERO ways of sending files over skype??
I checked both the device and the skype website, no go (on the maemo version anyway).

Also as mentioned above, don't bother waiting for a change to the current client, as there hasn't been an update since 2007 despite some suggestions that could/ should be made, (texting), though I have no complaints since it does work well for what it does.

Joe

The Following User Says Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
As noted above; a mike on the case and second in the headphones. I'm not positive, but would expect that normal mono/stereo headphones plugged in would disable the mic in the case (same as the built in speakers). So unfortunatly you work in 'speakerphone' mode or don't talk.

Finding a replacement might be quite tricky. I have a mono earpiece with mic for my old nokia (1100) phone, but don't know if it's compatable with the N800's stereo connection. I'll test and post my results.

As for sending files, an alternative would be skydrive if you have a hotmail account. http://skydrive.live.com the recipiant would also need a windows live account, or your file would be publically available at least until you remove it. I haven't tested it from the N800 but don't know why it wouldn't work.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
As noted above; a mike on the case and second in the headphones. I'm not positive, but would expect that normal mono/stereo headphones plugged in would disable the mic in the case (same as the built in speakers). So unfortunatly you work in 'speakerphone' mode or don't talk.
Luckily, you're wrong on this one at least for the N810 The mic does not turn off when you plug in plain headphones, in fact, I use that exact setup when people complain about echo. Not sure if the N800 or 770 act the same way.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Luckily, you're wrong on this one at least for the N810 The mic does not turn off when you plug in plain headphones, in fact, I use that exact setup when people complain about echo. Not sure if the N800 or 770 act the same way.
The N800 works the same way; plugging in normal headphones does not disable the in-device microphone. I expect this is also the case with the 770, though I have not used that device.