Notices

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Saint Paul, mn
now I have it installed, but alas. Launching it slows the n800 down but no traveller appears. Still really interested. It would make a nice alarm clock.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -r /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh ]; then
  source /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/dbus-send -a -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
  dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications
org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:"Updating icon cache" || true
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
  gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor || true
fi
Cool, thanks for that.

Maintaining cross-platform compatibility is always cool, but just remember that you're probably missing out on some of the great features of the tablets. That being said, it's entirely possible to write an app that takes advantage of things like power savings, alarmD etc AND still functions normally on other OS's, you just have to be really cautious in your coding that's all.
Agreed, but I have to admit that until recently the whole "d-bus" thing was a mystery to me. Now, I'm looking into those possibilities of adding NIT specific d-bus items.

1) Power management is IMPORTANT. Don't overlook this; don't ignore it; don't pretend that on a tablet it won't matter. Any app that has a clock and alarm functionality should either A) implement power management or B) make sure the user is aware of the possibility that the tablet will run out of juice if left on battery only over night with the app running. The first version of FC that we had drained a full battery in about 5-6 hours; the most recent version I've left running on my tablet for about 4-5 days without noticing any significant change in load between having the app on and not having anything running... this makes a big difference esp. when travelling or having alarms/etc.
Yes, while I have spent A LOT of time on reducing the CPU drain on the battery, currently Traveller will kill your battery in about six hours. Especially if you are using the "Atmosphere" portion to calm yourself for sleep. I'll look into fixing this in the future but for now, you'll want to leave the unit plugged in over night.

2) AlarmD is your friend on the tablets. You don't have to rely on it, and for cross-platform compatibility you can always just have a little option to detect if it's there and do things normally if it's missing (I've got a config setting in FC for this, but detection will be in the next version); but it does give you some pretty awesome advantages; namely helps with the power consumption thing, and lets your app auto launch at alarm times.
I agree that detection is a smart way to go. I currently detect if "battery-status" is installed and if it is, the internal temp is shown under the AM/PM indicator. I'll probably approach it the same way once I start looking at NIT specific hardware.

Anyways, seems very cool! If you need some advice/help with anything drop me a line
Thanks and thanks!

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
If you are talking about the application icon on the Navigation Bar, Task Switcher, etc. then you can add this line to the postinst script:

Code:
gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
...and that will update the cache.

Thanks for that too, I'll add that to the pre-install script in PyPackager.

Originally Posted by tarangdadia View Post
Wowww.. Nice and polished app. I am all set to grab it as soon as the fix is available for directory structure.

Something to think about to be added at a later point (feature request) If you can find sounds of ocean, rain, forest, white noise, birds, then you can have option to play that sound whenever you go to sleep at a press of a button. A device for which people pay $$ to get it in store. something similar to http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...ry&prodtemp=t2
See, now that is exactly why I made this program. I actually paid for one of the Brookstone devices about eight years ago and that is why I made this program and titled it Traveller. When I travel, I want to drown out the noisy neighbors with the sound of rain, waves, etc. There is a wave file zip that can be downloaded and added in where I collected about ten or more sounds. What's really nice though is that you can start the sound of a soft rain, start up the frogs loop, reduce that just a tad and then put in a thunder loop. It becomes a custom mix of sounds. I plan to have it record just which sounds you had open last, how loud they were and start it back up when the program is relaunched.

Thanks for thinking on the same line as me. This is what makes the program interesting.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Munk, with latest deb I get an icon in extras and a splash screen but then the splash screen disappears and no program has been opened. (And I'd rebooted before trying to launch the program.)
Oh boy, I'm not sure why this has happened. Could you try to launch it directly from xterminal and see if it gives you any kind of error messages?

To do this, you would start up xterminal and type:

exec python2.5 -O /usr/share/traveller/traveller.pyc
Let me know what error message you get.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
People have discussed this before, and I agree that the most interesting part of this app to me is the "Atmosphere" section. I'm curious to see how many sounds it has and how straightforward it will be to add new sounds (it looks pretty straightforward).
Qole, currently the sounds in the wave.tar.gz file are:

Children on schoolyard (Good background atmosphere in a quiet home)
Chimes 1 (Not sure why I kept this in there)
Chimes 2 (Trying to find some better chimes)
Crickets small loop (a looping background of crickets)
Frogs (a looping background of frogs)
Kitchen clock ticking (self explanatory)
Rain (I love the rain)
Rain and drips on metal (self explanatory)
Ticking clock (self explanatory)
Water creek flow (A creek of flowing water)
Water stream (A much smaller flow of water)
Waves (Waves on the beach)
Waves, moving pebbles (Waves with some pebbles moving)
Wind (Wind blowing through an old house)

But, you can always add more wave file clips to this. Supposedly you can use ogg files but I haven't had any success with them. I pointed out a website in the first post that you can download files that others have already created. It's nice because you can actually try out the sound before downloading.

Originally Posted by borghal View Post
This looks great! I have waited so long for a good alarm clock for my n800, this seems to be it! I just installed the new .deb and all went fine, installation of the waves was easy, too.

A silly questions, though: How do I change the location to a European one? The location code taken from Accuweather.com looks like this: EUR|DE|GM011|DORTMUND. Am I missing the numeral code?

And a feature request, one that Maemo hasn't implemented to this day: Will I be able to choose a sound file AND THE VOLUME of the alam in a future version of Traveller? Maemo alarms blast so loud they distort my soundfiles!
Ok, there are two ways to get this information into Traveller. You could first use the "Settings-Location" EDIT to type in the European location of where you are. It will then show you the addresses that you can scroll up/down to select your location. Unfortunately, you will not see it update the weather for 15 minutes as it is operating from a cached version of the accuweather data. This will be fixed soon as when someone changes the address, the update should be immediate.

The second way is to edit your location directly in the 'data/config.xml' file. You'll see a <location> node where you can enter your address of EUR|DE|GM011|DORTMUND into there.

Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gpmartinson View Post
now I have it installed, but alas. Launching it slows the n800 down but no traveller appears. Still really interested. It would make a nice alarm clock.
There was a dependency that wasn't mentioned. That dependency is libxml2 that is downloaded from extras-devel. This could cause the program to instantly crash. But, the true way to know is to try to launch Traveller straight from the command line and see what error you get. Look at the post about three up to see the command line to type.

In the future, I'll try to make the program smarter and let you know if something is missing.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Oh boy, I'm not sure why this has happened. Could you try to launch it directly from xterminal and see if it gives you any kind of error messages?

To do this, you would start up xterminal and type:

Let me know what error message you get.

Thanks, Munk.

Weird. From the $ prompt, it shut down Xterm; i.e., it appeared to crash it. I tried a second time, xterm crashed again.

From the # prompt, I got

python2.5: can't open file '/usr/share/traveller/traveller.pyc': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

It hasn't mattered for anything else yet, but I'm stuck in maemo version 4.2008.23-14 (result of installing Screen Rotation) rather than in the latest (43-7 or whatever it is); I doubt that's the problem, but I thought maybe it's worth mentioning if my problem isn't common.

Also, I checked and I don't have libxml2 in installed apps; but it also doesn't show up in installable apps, even though I have maemo Extras enabled. (I haven't checked installable apps in Red Pill Mode.)

EDIT (5-8-09): Dumb me! I uninstalled Traveller just before doing the xterm command, so of course there was "no such file or directory"!

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-05-08 at 17:44.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
python2.5: can't open file '/usr/share/traveller/traveller.pyc': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

It hasn't mattered for anything else yet, but I'm stuck in maemo version 4.2008.23-14 (result of installing Screen Rotation) rather than in the latest (43-7 or whatever it is); I doubt that's the problem, but I thought maybe it's worth mentioning if my problem isn't common.

Also, I checked and I don't have libxml2 in installed apps; but it also doesn't show up in installable apps, even though I have maemo Extras enabled. (I haven't checked installable apps in Red Pill Mode.)
Just for testing purposes, I put my screen into rotated mode and tried to run the app from xterminal. I received the error "No video mode large enough for 800x480. But, I know you aren't saying you are stuck in a rotated screen mode. i just thought it would be interesting to see what would happen.

As far as libxml2, yes, I had to go into red bill mode to download this. I wish there was a way to just package everything that is needed. Could you try this to see if it is installed or to install it if you do not have it?

Tags
atmosphere, horoscope, python, traveller, weather