Hello, I got a serious problem with my Nokia N9, recently the power/lock button start to failing and I couldn't lock/unlock the screen by pressing it, but that was "ok" since you can unlock the screen by double-tap and I could turn on the phone by USB...
But now the problem is a lot worse, the button is "working" again, but now it's working even when I don't even touch it, it's locking the screen/turning off the phone automatically!
Recently I've found way to mod the power button behaviour by editing the file "mce.ini" located at "/etc/mce/", so I've disabled some functions related to the power button, but that doesn't seem enough, because the phone still turning off. That makes sense because the phone turn off completelly when you hold the power button for some seconds even when it freezes.
So my question is: That's it? There's no way I can disable this function too? Is my N9 completelly dead?

The Following User Says Thank You to diogorva For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
i'm sure that this is a hardware problem yes.
The only way to solve this is to open the device and repair it.
Or, if it's still under warranty, send it to nokia care

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I know it's a hardware problem but I just can't believe that my phone will be completelly unusable because of a simple button, sometimes the phone even turn on automatically... So there's really no way I could try to "kill" the button via software?

Last edited by diogorva; 2013-05-31 at 15:46.

Seriously guys, any suggestion would be nice, it's not under warranty anymore and no one wants to try to tix it. I completelly out of options...

Posts: 184 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Nizhny Novgorod
Well, you might use a video like this one to open your N9 and turn off a power button. Believe me, you don't need a power button at all on this phone (I'm using N9 with broken power button for more then 1 year )

Don't know how to sync your Hotmail account as an Exchange account with your Nokia N9? Use MeMailSettings! For help you can check out MeMailSetting's support page.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sergey_Kashin For This Useful Post:
Yeah, but that's not that simple for me... I don't think I can open the phone without breaking something... I think I need to find someone to destroy this power button for me...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I had the power button issue too; got it repaired as there is a 8 seconds lock on it i.e. even if you disable it from mce.ini and its pressed for 8 seconds, it will switch off.

From discussions I had with people back then, this is hard-coded and even using modprobe to blacklist it didn't work. Instead of killing it, might as well get it repaired. Do remember to take this video to the repair shop so that if they are unfamiliar with your device they still can get the job done

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
just bring it to your local repair guys...
I'm sure they can repair it for a few bucks

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
Hi,
Were you able to repair it?I am facing the same problem now.My N9 switches off on its own.

The Following User Says Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n9, power button