Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
I was wondering if there is a way to disable/uninstall the web browser on my tablet. I know, this sounds absolutely ridiculous... I want to be able to connect to the internet for things like pidgin, but not be able to actually surf the internet. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could instruct me on how to do this. Thank you =)

The Following User Says Thank You to freekyfrogy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
yes there is...

first install rootsh

then

Code:
$ sudo gainroot

blah blah blah

# apt-get remove browserd
Should work... Probably will break something!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
ok. I'll make sure to back up, in case I have to flash it because of something breaking. Thank you so much =)

I just tried it and it said that it couldn't find package browserd. I also tried "browser". Can anyone tell me the directory where the installed apps are located? Alternately, instead of killing the browser, I could install parental control/accountability software on my tablet. I haven't been able to find anything along those lines for the n800 though.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Ill try it on my tablet tomorrow. It might be microb or something else...

Also, if you just want parental controls, you can use a filter proxy. I am guessing there are guides to do this, as I don't exactly know how.

I know my router can block websites with certain keywords, maybe yours can also.

Also, FYI, its going to be HELLA EASY for someone (smart enough) to do one of the following:

1) Install another browser
2) Use a tsocks proxy to get around your proxy
3) another of the million ways to get around this because the tablets have like no security (anyone can install anything, no password required...).

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
I know it would be pretty easy to get around. Believe it or not, this is mainly for myself. I have no problem with not being able to browse the internet on my tablet (I don't use it for that a whole lot...) but I really really don't want to have to get rid of it, or lose the ability to connect to the internet for chatting/email/updates/etc. I am restricting my internet access on my laptop, and that would be pointless if I could just grab my tablet and surf unfiltered and whatnot. Anyways, I have reasons for my madness. But thank you again for your help. Oh, btw, "microb" didn't work either :/

freekyfrogy -- don't want to speculate about why you need to do this but let me just say I've been there.

First of all, I think the package for the browser is "osso-browser".

Another option might be to use iptables (which I've seen mentions of being an option on the tablet) to drop all connections to port 80 (i.e. HTTP connections). This could potentially break some of the stuff you do want to do, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to jacobmattison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Switzerland
Maybe you could try to set the tablet-browser-daemon script non-executable :

Type as root :
Code:
# stop the daemon
/etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon stop

# remove the executable flag
chmod -x /etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon
now the browser shoudn't work any more. To make it works again :

Code:
chmod +x /etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon
/etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon start

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lbalogh For This Useful Post:
Ibalogh, that command didn't work. it returned "/etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon: not found" I think If this option could disable it without deleting it, then it could perhaps keep things from breaking.

@Jacob
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person on ITT who understands this

God Bless,
~Chaz D

EDIT: I just tried "apt-get remove osso-browser". It succeded in uninstalling that package. The web applicaation is still there, but it gets stuck in a perpetual "loading" state. I also checked, and my email still works flawlessly. Thank you so much for your help =D

Last edited by freekyfrogy; 2009-01-07 at 17:24.

Tags
accountability, browser, internet, uninstall, web