Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
There is no such thing as a dual-Cortex A8, so whatever they did with Snapdragon (regarding dual-core) is their own stuff, not an A8 derivative (we have yet to see if it beats A9, which WAS designed from the bottom up for multicore operations).
The dual-core Snapdragon will not be faster than a standard Cortex-A9.

The Snapdragon core is entirely custom and not based on A8 but is about 5% faster clock-for-clock than a standard Cortex-A8. Even though Qualcomm have a dual-core Snapdragon it won't beat a Cortex-A9 at the same clock speed since the A9 is at least 20-25% faster clock-for-clock than a standard A8.

For reference, the Samsung Hummingbird is a Cortex-A8 that has been customised to perform certain binary functions using significantly less instructions than normal. Samsung estimates that 20% of the Hummingbird’s functions are affected, and of those, on average 25-50% less instructions are needed to complete each task. Overall, the processor can perform tasks 5-10% more quickly while handling the same 2 instructions per clock cycle as an unmodified ARM Cortex-A8 processor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The Snapdragon core is entirely custom and not based on A8 but is about 5% faster clock-for-clock than a standard Cortex-A8. Even though Qualcomm have a dual-core Snapdragon it won't beat a Cortex-A9 at the same clock speed since the A9 is at least 20-25% faster clock-for-clock than a standard A8.
...and that is why they a going after GHz (the dual-Snapdragons that will be pitted against A9 are 1.5GHz). When Intel tried that trick, they failed miserably, and one would think that in embedded a GHz-chase is a far worse idea than on desktops, so Qualcomm will have to do something quite revolutionary for their next gen or try to survive on a number-spin PR...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The Snapdragon core is entirely custom and not based on A8 but is about 5% faster clock-for-clock than a standard Cortex-A8.
It should have reduced clock efficiency with the added pipeline stages. The observed performance seems to support this.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ jodhpur
i think this is right thread to post my question.
can i use my spare N900's RAM and/or CPU in my new N900
(double RAM dual CPU) ????
or atleast 32gb HD.

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
How are you gonna do that??

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
No.
That's physically impossible, rpjitendra.

I request others who read this not to post in this thread and bump it up again with useless posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to ffha For This Useful Post: