Has you N9 aged elegantly as promised?
Pictures if you have.

Nope. The coating is flaking off the back and the included Nokia cover scratched the sides. Fortunately it's black.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by bp0 View Post
Nope. The coating is flaking off the back and the included Nokia cover scratched the sides. Fortunately it's black.
What coating?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The black N9 has a matte (well, at least it is matte for about a month) coating on the top of the polycarbonate house. In some (most) cases it gets shiny by time and starts to peel off on the edges after a while, making the device look ugly.

Mine looks fine. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
My white N9 has aged well - except for some dents thanks to me fumbling with it occasionally. Otherwise its still shiny and beautiful precious like the day we met.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ CA, USA
Dropped it on some hardwood floor from like 10 feet up.

Now there's a crack that goes nearly all the way through the bottom corner of the phone (the casing itself) and is near the speaker. It is like the bottom right corner is seperated.

And I only got my N9 in June of 2013.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
I currently have 3 Nokia N9-s. All, black, 64 GB and made in Finland. Northen Europe versions. On one of my devices coating started to peel off after I dropped the phone to floor and as it started to look ugly I changed casing to white one (9 months after purchase). Whit casing still looks good, I have not dropped the phone anymore and on the white casing coating does not start to peel off. Phone has minor scraches on silver rear cover (I used phone without any protective casing)..

My other two devices I bought second hand. They seem to be the same age that my first phone. However, both of them have been kept in the original rubber casing and therefore there are no peeling issues. However, there are signs of wear from the case rubbing against the phone.

As a conclusion, white casing does not wear so much over time. However, phone looks way better with good condition black casing.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
My white N9 has aged well - except for some dents thanks to me fumbling with it occasionally. Otherwise its still shiny and beautiful precious like the day we met.

I think you are misunderstanding me. If it still look good then it hasnt aged. I want it to age, to peel off, cracks, dents. It gives it character, patina.

Ive had mine for 1.5 - no chase- and just started to look the way I wanted it to. I want it to age.

I can upload a picture.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I have a cyan N9 from October 2011. It looks fine as on the first day except for some dents around the battery flap, and the coating came off completely off the flap (but only of the flap). Once the coating came off the flap completely, it looks as new again, and you'd notice no difference, but it became more susceptible to minor scratches, so you can see some scratches on it now.
But the unibody is still fine as on day 1. The camera chrome has some scratches, but that begin on day 1 already, so it's not a sign of age.

Tags
nokia n9