Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
In US it is available from popularelectronics.com and mobilecityonline.com Both offered at 799.99. Mine is supposed to arrive on Thursday. What is the best way to carry it? Not interested in putting it in pants pocket. I may order a new sports coat so I can keep it close to my heart...

ok, so after a couple of hours of play:

1. for some reason it takes an age to acquire an IP from my netgear router (sems to have to try many times, not sure if that's the phone or the router, but n900 never had any such problems). Once it eventually connects, it seems to hold the connection fine - slightly better than N900 in the semi-dead spot in my bedroom.

2. screen is very impressive, tried it with an xvid DVD rip, iPlayer and some youTube content, and it looked great particularly with HD content. I did notice some quite severe horizontal banding on the iPlayer (frozen planet episode #3, right near the start when the polar bear is swimming - the sky above seemed to have bands that fluctuated with the audio on the soundtrack? The android iPlayer app also sucks - if you tap the screen during playback (to pause or skip ahead etc) then the overlaid status bar seems to get stuck on - it doesn't auto hide again, WTF? Anyway, these are minor quibbles. The samsung video clip pre-loaded really shows the capability of the screen, trully awsome.

3. sound is ok but not as loud as I'd been expecting based on some reviews - pretty similar max volume level to n900. On speaker, it has a bit more bass than n900, which I like - but it's mono & the speaker is on the back, so muffled unless you flip the phone over when playing. I love the N900 stereo, and it still sounds more "spacial" and is generally a better audio experience (if a bit thin & tinny for serious listening). Through the supplied (white!!) headphones the quality is ok.

4. memory - I was a bit surprised on 2 counts ... reviews had mentioned the pack included a 2GB microSD, but no sign of that (I guess that must be country specific, or was just for pre-release review samples?). Secondly, it's a 16GB internal memory, but only 11GB free to use for general user files & data out of the box. I should have expected this I guess, but I'd hoped for a bit more. Oh well, 32GB microSD on order from Amazon at £26 so no problems. I resisted the 64GBeven though I also saw a review confirming that it works in the Note: £100 is stil too much for a memory card :-)

5. The S-pen is very fiddly, it's quite hard to extract it from it's slot and near impossible to locate the black on black button without close scrutiny (why they didn't make the button yellow or whatever I have no idea). I'm not yet used to it, it's quite fluid and fast reacting but the "nib" can be a bit tricky to place at the point on screen you actually intend when doing fine work. I just noticed in settings that you can set it up for "dominant" hand (left/right) and I'm a leftie. Just made that setting, I'll see if it improves things.

6.web surfing is a joy. I've had a go on the native browser and also downloaded Opera mobile (which I was a huge fan of on n900 owing to reflow). Opera still has some benefit on the note for the occasional text heavy site with small fonts (my eyesight is not great) and for forcing desktop sites to load when desired, but for the vast majority of content the native browser is pretty darned good, renders very quickly and beautifully clear & smooth when scrolling around.

7. VKB - I've never had to use one before as I was a smartphone virgin when I got the N900. the note's VKB is nice and big but (for now at least) it remains vastly inferior to the real thing. I am sure I'll get used to it but I haven't yet got up to speed with swype or predictive text (which is currently annoying the pants off me). Anyway, it's basically usable which is as much as I was expecting.

8. apps - bearing in mind I've never used android before and I've been exposed to the "app hatred" culture that wafts around TMO, I was half expecting to be annoyed by the 10000 fart apps etc. on offer with no decent "serious" software to be had for free. So far, however I've been pleasantly surprised. I've downloaded:

- pocketCloud (VNC/RDP client) which is just superb on the big screen, presencerVNC on n900 is a great app but pocketCloud has a virtual pointer that's really useful and in general I'm already finding I can do any remote access tasks more quickly and confidently than on N900 (I've used the s-pen at first as I was accustomed to that on n900, and I'll continue that for any delicate work, but TBH pinch zoom and fingers are pretty accurate too).

- some random Wake on LAN app, does what it says on the tin!

- dropbox: very nice, one click shortcut on the desktop to my often used subfolders. Which reminds me - freoffice/gnumeric etc. were just about liveable with on n900, so polaris office on the note is such a pleasure to use. I am no MS lover but politics aside I'm glad to finally have a bundled office app that appears to "just work" (only thing it failed on so far was a complex spreadsheet graph where the source sheet did some jiggery pokery to have the graph display the mid-portion of a 20 year monthly timeline, while polaris shows it from the axis origin - a small point and nowt to complain about, the same graph wouldn't display at all on my N900!).

- tvCatchup (have to suffer the adverts now unlike tvcplayer, but the big screen view compensates for that).

- skype (have only done a call to test service so no real feedback there yet)

- grooveshark: the free version is crippled, booo! I also noticed that there are some very minor glitches in playback when its running in the background in the native browser via the full desktop Grooveshark site (just a very slight pop or click as another internet related action is being performed. Again, nothign to complain about).

- the only big ommission from my regular n900 "apps" is openVPN. I know that's avalable for android but it needs rooting and I'm not quite at the point of being willing to do that yet (owing both to my own novice status on android and the newness of the note). Hopefully I'll take the plunge fairly soon though once I have confidence in the rooting process and my note has had a monto or so to shake out any potential manufacturing niggles that might need the warranty.

9. O/S: as I say I was an android virgin. What can I say? .. maemo had totally spoiled me for the past two years, android is a poorly organised jumble of cr@p by comparison :-) I'm still coming to terms with the pretend multi-tasking, though at least I've found out how to exit unwanted apps from memory! having said that, I have to concede that with all the memory and processing power on the note, it's still great to flick between open app's without any of the n900's slow response under load. I think that when the note gets the promised Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade, I'll probably be happy enough to live with it as I'm a pragmatist.

10. last (but certainly not least) SIZE: I did a pretty exhaustive physical test with the phone in the shop before buying it - made sure to arrive in a reasonably slim fitting pair of jeans (by no means hipsters, but tighter than the jeans I normally wear) and I di a bit of walking around with the phone in my pocket & headphones plugged in and doing a lot of sitting & standing and grabbing the phone as if it was being called. It is not at all bad, quite comfy in fact. In the hand, it's still undeniably big but I'm 6 foot tall and I don't see it as unacceptably big, though I'll certainly be using the headset to answer calls where possible :-) Its width does make one handed portrait use slightly tricky - I can more or less access all of the screen with my thumb but to do so does involve balancing the phone in the hand with a looser grip than I'd like. I was always a landscape-only user of n900, but I'm finding I use the auto-rotate on the note a lot already to best suit the task I'm performing.

Whats in a name? I'm already calling my note "The Phablet", but my wife just calls it the "giganto-phone" and laughs :-)

oh and an afterthought - I frequently used the n900 as a torch with the flashlight status bar applet. The note has a flashlight too (hidden away under "accessibility" settings). It is a bit fiddly to access (though you can put accessibility in the power key menu which helps a bit) but the light from the LED is really powerful.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
after that long post, just wanted to briefly add that I went straight from a Nokia 3310 to the n900 as I'd refused ever to upgrade my mobile phone until Ifound what Iconsidered to be a fully converged device. The N900 has been exactly that, I could not have been happier with it's performance and functionality and I still love it dearly. However, N900 did gradually indoctrinate me into relying almost exclusively on my mobile phone for most computing & communications tasks. It's largely because of that that I now feel the need for the much larger (but still pocketable) screen & higher resolution, as I spend way too much of my life peering at the N900 screen these days. For me the Note is now the best form factor, as it will make the hours of reading books/websites/remote server screens much more pleasant on the eye. It's not an N900 beater on by other measure, but in the end, size DOES matter, and the note might just manage to converge another device (my desktop PC) out of existance - or at least into the spare room, instead of whirring away connected to the big screen TV in the loaunge!.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
How about comparing to this
http://thetechjournal.com/electronic...c-tablet.xhtml
if it ever comes out.
It triple boots android, winho's and meego
http://www.evolvethree.com.au/produc...nvertible.html

Last edited by aironeous; 2011-11-15 at 14:15.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
I'm still using 2 year old N900 as my primary mobile. I've not found any replacement for this. I was excited about N9 but MeeGo's future is no so bright. So I think my next device will be Android. Galaxy Note looks very attractive and has great spec too. But I like hardware keyboard which is missing on Note. I'll be getting a Galaxy Note review device from Samsung within 1-2 days. I'll share my experience after using it.

Web Advices
Tablet Phone X
Blogging Tips
Know IP Address

@pigro, cc debranardis, chuck norris

Any chance you checked out Polaris?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post

whats that? nope, since i dont know what it is.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post

buried in my long post above, I did mention that I had viewed a couple of documents and spreadsheets via polaris. I haven't had time to do anything beyond just a quick look to verify that it is displaying the documents correctly (it is, except for one spreadsheet with embedded graphs where the displayed portion of the graph is not the same as on Exel. I haven't edited or created ay new office docs yet. One thing I did notice is that it has a print option but if you try it says it on;y works with Samsung printers.

If you have any specific questions post them and I'll try to answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by adamFsmith View Post
OneStopPhoneShop in the UK are selling the 32GB version, but you can only get it through uswitch.com, it doesn't appear anywhere on their own website.

Just ordered mine, in the process of the credit check right now. Bloody nervous about it, even though I have no reason to be!
had a quick look on uSwitch but can't see anything other than network subsidised contracts for the note - got a link? Just curious to know how much they are selling the 32GB for as I'd dearly have loved the extra onboard space if CPW had had one available.

Oh and - Nervous, why?

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
whats that? nope, since i dont know what it is.
It's a document/excel/ppt editor that is preinstalled on NOTE (I think).

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note