Active Topics

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Hi all TMO members.

You can call this a rant or an observation or just something i need to get of my chest.

It has become really tiresome to read post after post in various threads when ever another OS get's mentioned in a positive way, the poster gets flamed/bashed/demeaned for his/hers opinion.

I think the fanboyism about the N900/N9 -> Maemo/MeeGo is getting out of hand and some people treets it as their new found religion and any one not praising it gets bashed/flamed/called names.

Maemo/Meego got great things going, but not for all poeple and it should be legit to state your views on things here without getting flamed. I meen not all people are into xterm and heavy modding or used to be and found themself burned out and need more out of the box experience and every time this appears someone just has to post that Maemo/Meego is the most open platforms and you can do whatever you whant and states somewhat things that these platforms can do that others don't. But if you come to the conclusion that the N900/N9 is not for you and you mis out on everyday social life with your friends/work cause the N9 deos not provide the apps you need it is totally legit to express that and no it's not ok to demean people for having another view on things.

Why this religious and intolerant approach to people with diffrent views/needs? Why do people take it so personal that other people can't get by wiyh Maemo/Meego on an everyday use. Why can't people accept that other people got different needs and preferences. Why are people being called simple or stupid cause they like out of the box experience and for not needing coding/hacking/modding/xterm'ing to get their devices to do what they want or should be doing in the first place out of the box?

As a has been user of Android and IOS i must say that theres alot more than the ever returning answer about it's only fart and shite apps on those to appstores. That's just bs. There's alot of good apps and yes there's alot of crap, but if you like casual or heavy mobile gaming those are the platforms to use to give an example.

I just don't understand why peolpe use so much time in telling why other platform sucks instead of enjoying there own and asking why others do like a speciffic platform over Maemo/Meego. Broaden your horizonts, your knowledge and embrace defferences you might learn something. I don't get why people see other platforms as enemys.

I'm fan of different things, but not to the extend that I hate everything else. Hate is a negative energy and fan/liking things is a positive energy. Stay with the liking and as long as you're happy with your choise who gives what others likes. Really.

I think some of it comes down to an age thing -> immaturity and the lack of life experience and tolarence.

But to quote @somedude from another tread "it's enough people" Please keep your maners and talk to others as you would like them to address you and keep an open mind.

I think this is something for the new council to take up for descussion and correct somehow. I really think it's a problem here on TMO and only getting worse and it can pop up in any kind of thread.

One last thing this also regards when people are requesting apps. They get told off with a "code it yourself if you want it" or "go piss off and buy a phone that it's available on" and offensive and demeaning comments like that.

Hope this gets better in the near future.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
One last thing this also regards when people are requesting apps. They get told off with a "code it yourself if you want it" or "go piss off and buy a phone that it's available on" and offensive and demeaning comments like that..
Just to shed insight into that, the people who received them type of comments, are the ones who constantly moaned about 'Wazapp' not being released on schedule and they actually threatened the developer that if he did not meet their demands they would not use his app and go to another platform.

It is easy to understand why people got irritated by them fools..

But yeah it seems with the recent burst of users on TMO probably due to the N9 being a bit more mass produced towards End-users compared to other Maemo devices, we have gotten a bit of Fanboyism occuring.
Especially as alot of new users seem to not read the TMO rules about searching before posting and spamming threads with nonsense and offtopic information. This also needs to be stopped, as it is annoying telling people to make a new thread or search before posting the SAME questions.

I would like this community to be back to its original good willed and friendly nature, as its probably the biggest thing that separated us from the Apple squads and the Android fanboys.

If you see some of them fanboy arguments you would honestly wonder what happened to them as kids to become so needy and devote their life to 'backing up' a flipping phone :P

We were always a very friendly community, lets hope it can stay that way

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
@Dousan

it is like you are in my heart man you write every thing i was wondering about really thanks i agree with every single word
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
There's a lot of valid points in the above posts.

But it's still a sad fact that many topics specifically relating/pertinent to N9/Meego/Harmattan are affected by pointless comments about WP or IOS or Android, and said threads end up going off at a tangent. Now that does piss me off.

Lumiafkinman - 'nuff said

Last edited by dumpystig; 2012-05-24 at 11:01.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dumpystig For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
There's a lot of valid points in the above threads.

But it's still a sad fact that many topics specifically relating/pertinent to N9/Meego/Harmattan are affected by pointless comments about WP or IOS or Android, and said threads end up going off at a tangent. Now that does piss me off.

Lumia****inman - 'nuff said
Its true, there's an Off-Top section of this forum for a reason, I honestly think TMO needs to FORCE first timers to read the rules and ENFORCE them!

Anyone seen to be consistently posting before searching and spamming threads with nonsense as well as off topic posts, needs to be banned or warned.

Maybe the new council can some how moderate the forums a bit more in terms of warning/banning users who fail to comply with the rules. Or even restricting their access to read only for a few weeks as punishment for breaching rules consistently.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
i feel as i did with my n900, i was new to the forum back then you just have to wait for the forum to mature yet again most of the fanboy's are just fake and they'll leave once they are over the hype... therefore the maemo community will again become more tolerant, if that makes sense, i love all platforms as they all have different pro and cons.

one thing i dont get maemo and meego are like 'brothers' but yet i feel within the forum sometime there's hostility between the too... maybe thats just me

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mohi2k7 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Dousan, that's really a nice call to being openminded and respectful.

Sure, that may be frustrating. However, feeding these senseless discussions with "counter posts" doesn't help either. In fact, most attempts to solve such issues by answering to them only make the situation worse. I for myself keep it that way that I only answer to posts I am interested in and try to ignore those that are not relevant for me.

.... - 'nuff said
Please, no personal attacks. That's exactly one point I believe Dousans post is about, to treat each other respectfully.

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Its true, there's an Off-Top section of this forum for a reason, I honestly think TMO needs to FORCE first timers to read the rules and ENFORCE them!
Well, personally, I don't think enforcing things would help nor do I consider it practical. What would help imho would be a little more patience and provide newcomers a little guidance instead of answering in an aggressive or offensive manner. You cannot expect another person to willingly accept hints, suggestions, etc. if you answer aggressively or offensively. How would you feel when someone tells you what you ought to do in such an unfriendly way?

Finally, from time to time there is an attitude that makes me believe people try to feel good or better by trying to make others feel bad or worse. Honestly, that doesn't work. You should feel good because you are happy with what you have, what you do, who you are, etc., not because you "happily look down" on someone who might be in a seemingly less-favorable or worse situation.

Last edited by Wonko; 2012-05-24 at 11:25. Reason: Fix typos.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Thanks Dousan, that's really a nice call to being openminded and respectful.

Well, personally, I don't think enforcing things would help nor do I consider it practical. What would help imho would be a little more patience and provide newcomers a little guidance instead of answering in an aggressive or offensive manner. You cannot expect another person to willingly accept hints, suggestions, etc. if you answer aggressively or offensively. How would you feel when someone tells you what you ought to do in such an unfriendly way?
I feel that people do try to guide and help newcomers, but I have experienced newcomers just repeatedly ignoring friendly guidance and advice and still not bothering to search and after many attempts to tell them they need to follow rules ect. I myself get fedup, as would anybody who has to repeat the same thing to the same people.

My Contributions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Well said Dousan!
AFAIK TMO is an intelligent & super active community. At the same time there should be room for users of other platforms as well. Accept the criticism in a positive manner, debate it if we have a point but avoid sarcastic comments. If someone ask for a help or request an application, those who are kind hearted respond, others ignore.

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

Dousan, honestly, in most "conversations" about other OS'es I've seen, every "bashing" was done with a meritocratic arguments, why, in writer opinion, this Os is better than another. Well, after all, if someone is stating personal opinion in public,m she/he must be ready to receive feedback.

I don't see fanboy'ism here, at least not in majority of cases.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
dirty jokes, douchecopters, dousan=hero!, internet scorn, intolerance, just stupid, litenup francis, welikeitourway