My good old N9 is slowly dying. ( Micro USB won't connect and load)

I'm torn between Jolla Phone and Blackberry Z10. Z30,

Which phone would you suggest to buy in 2016.

My points for pre selection:
  • No Android or iOS
  • Acceptable build quality
  • Form factor over 4.5" is too large for me. Therefore Z30 might not be an option and most MS Phone were out.

My fears for Jolla:
  • Low build quality

Fears for Z10:
  • Low battery life, therefore maybe sitill give a Try to Z30

Last edited by Merienth; 2016-02-21 at 19:39. Reason: Z30 back in game :-)

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
My good old N9 is slowly dying. ( Micro USB won't connect and load)
Sounds familiar :-(

I'm using both of them on a daily base - one for my German and one for my UK sim ... - they have both their ups and downs

The battery of the Z10 is ways to small but replaceable, cheap, available and as its small from size as well it's easy to carry a spare one ;-)

The built quality of the Blackberry is exceptional and it has the better camera plus a hdmi out.

The Jolla is thinner, lighter and has (for me) the better form factor. It runs two days with one load (the Z10 does 08:00 to 05:00 and on heavy use it's empty right after lunch)

I prefer Sailfish over BB10 when it comes to the UI and its android support is better (from my needed apps there is only one that won't work on Sailfish). On the contrary on BB10 there are more native apps available (most of them not free) which are often good pieces of software.
Both OS have a good community with loads of help. Sailfish is outstanding when it comes to modifying the OS, patches, and third party repos ...

Together they are a brilliant team as I can always switch to the right device for the things I want to do ;-) - if I would have to choose I would say the Z10 with Sailfish ;-)

Cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I vote Z10. However both might leave much to be desired in regards to continued support here shortly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
I don't own either phone, but I did have the opportunity to handle a Z10 and play with it. I'd thought about buying one as a potential upgrade from my N9, too. I didn't really care for it. The build quality seemed solid, but the thing has massive bezels around the screen and it's unnecessarily tall. I didn't like the way it felt in my hand, but it's nothing you couldn't adjust to. The software was really responsive from what I remember, but it's a lot different from Harmattan. BB10 is based around swipe gestures too (of course), but the whole experience is a lot different. Harmattan is friendly, slick and stylized. BB10 is clean, professional and functional. For me, the Z10 was just too bland. Totally functional, very smooth and certainly capable, but not for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to kapu2 For This Useful Post:
Jolla sells as litlle as 135euros for a non-client in Estonia from the Finnish telecommunications company Elisa. It's quite catchy price in my opinion for a phone that can decently do android as well. Though i'm sure jollas screen brightness will quickly disappoint at the daytime use.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
I use a Z10 as my dailydriver. Other the small battery , it is a perfect phone for me. Z10 hardware specs are also considerably better , with more than 1.2 GB ram free after booting. I carry a spare battery and the blackberry battery charger to compensate for the small battery. I will jump the ship the moment intex starts selling that sailfish phone though. Hope they launch it at the MWC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by padmaraj.ravi View Post
I will jump the ship the moment intex starts selling that sailfish phone though. Hope they launch it at the MWC.
I'm looking forward to this too. I just hope the hardware comes out good in quality! By the way, I still am using my N9 as my main phone. And a super cheap android to run a few necessary apps once in a while.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Z10 has a very small batttery, barely lasts the day even without any usage... Better get the Leap, which is the same except for a slightly bigger screen and much bigger battery (no NFC but has FM radio).

Last edited by Bundyo; 2016-02-21 at 06:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Z30 is not that much bigger than jolla actually once you have them both in your hands.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by padmaraj.ravi View Post
...I carry a spare battery and the blackberry battery charger to compensate for the small battery. I will jump the ship the moment intex starts selling that sailfish phone though. Hope they launch it at the MWC.
That was my impression based on other comments as well... I don't want to carry an extra battery.

I would try Intex, but who knows, when the start selling,... I don't have too much time.
Since a couple days my N9 loads only if USB cable specially adapted with some duct tape...