Just to be absolutely sure, does this link
http://erinye.com/maemo/dists/mistra...37-1_armel.deb
work with antiword on an 800 running 2008?

Not for me. I just tried it, and get this error:

application packages missing

hildon-fm1 <= 1.14
hildon-libs0 <=0.14.11.1
libdbus-1-2 <=0.61

How can a person track these down?

--PK---

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
On the other hand, if you could install and run antiword, you don't need docreader, which is only a graphical user interface to antiword. Just use antiword on the command line, to convert doc files in pdf or text files, which you will be able to open with the default n810 apps.
Perhaps I've got it wrong, but it appears that after installing antiword on my N810, I don't need to run it from the command line to get into .doc files.

Now, when I try to open a .doc file, I get the 'find/open application' dialog box. Choosing NotePad allows me to open the file. Granted, it is full of gobbledygook in the beginning and at the end, but the text is clean in the middle I've managed to extract the useful portion without too much difficulty and save as .txt, .pdf or even upload to my GoogleDocs!

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
OS2008 on N800.

This with antiword ist not practical. When i have a *.doc with e.g. 4 sites and open the file with ossoxterm from the root /usr/bin with e.g. antiword /media/mmc1/test.doc, the text scrolls down on the display and the beginning is away.

Possible ist to save the doc-file in Word as a rtf-file, transfer it to the n800 and open it with FB-Reader. Then the text could be read, but formats and graphics aren't shown.

Users where the doc and xls support ist an important item, must obviously go back to OS2007 at the moment.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by Helmuti View Post
OS2008 on N800.

This with antiword ist not practical. When i have a *.doc with e.g. 4 sites and open the file with ossoxterm from the root /usr/bin with e.g. antiword /media/mmc1/test.doc, the text scrolls down on the display and the beginning is away.

Possible ist to save the doc-file in Word as a rtf-file, transfer it to the n800 and open it with FB-Reader. Then the text could be read, but formats and graphics aren't shown.

Users where the doc and xls support ist an important item, must obviously go back to OS2007 at the moment.
IMHO the lack of real and practical MSOffice handling capability (so far) are attempting against the N8xx series in terms of potential buyers.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State
True. The n8x0 series would have a much larger following, especially in business, if it had a decent PIM with sync capability, and an office suite that could read/write M$ Office docs. I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that, but truth of the matter is, large companies (Fortune 500 or even 1000) rely on Office. Sad, but true.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- dunno why hancom office wasn't contracted to provide comfort for MSFT fans

(worked fine on the sl-5500)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post

Wrong toolkit (not insurmountable, I know, but a nuisance nevertheless).

I call either Documents To Go or whatever it was that made onto the Foleo (tweaked QuickOffice?).

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post

In my personal case I'm not a Microsoft fan and it is not a matter of comfort; I would like to see my work email's attachments on the go and by now I can't. If I could do that, name it whatever you want, I don't care, I'm not fan of nothing, not interested in LINUX MS antagonism.

The author of doc reader has just compiled it for OS 2008.

I installed it and antiword on my N810 and it works - I think. I can run doc reader and view Word files in a legible format.

But it doesn't automatically handle .doc files, not even when invoked from File Manager. I had to run doc reader and then open the file from its menu. Is that the way it worked on OS 2007?

The Following User Says Thank You to bilofsky For This Useful Post: