I am going to send my handset off to Nokia as within the warranty period - just worried I get a new phone back rather than my old one.

All my photos and files are stored in my internal memory - it's a long shot but is there ANY way to retieve these items if your phone will not power on?

The USB port has busted so cant plug in the PC connector or wall charger.

Proper annoyed as do not want to lose all my pictures

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
it won't power on because the battery is empty and the broken usb connector prevents charging, or are those two unrelated?

if it's the first case, charge the battery on another device that uses the same battery, and then do the backup.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
You can change the battery with a charged one and copy everything to your PC using openssh.

What other devices use that battery though?

No one else I know has a battery like this - if I buy one, that has to be charged as well!

How do you use open ssh - never heard of that.

Regarding backup - how does that work - what does it back up to?

I was thinking of charging it up and bluetoothing or emailing the pics to myself

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Lebanon
I think the Nokia 5800 Express music uses the same one.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
Nokia 5228
Nokia 5230
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Nokia C3
Those are the phones that use the BL-5J battery.
Or you could buy a universal phone battery charger and charge the battery with that.
Read this http://wiki.maemo.org/SSH
You will be able to browse the phones internal memory using an internet connection.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Paris, France
If you are not in a hurry, you could buy a charger for the battery it is cheap.
Search "charger BL-5J" in google.

Just go to a phone chop-shop and ask them to charge your battery for like $1.

Im pretty sure they will do it.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I am also using a X1-00, which has the same battery, so may be some store could provide that battery.
I pm-ed you.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the offer michaaa62 - I did pop into the phoneshop and they had a spare N900 - the bluetooth was really slow to my friends phone and I mean REALLY slow. Emailed my main pics to my gmail account, but lost a lot of video clips which were too big to email. So a bit gutted there.

Also lost all my downloaded games, etc.

On another topic - once I had the new battery in, I inserted a memory card as I thought I could transfer the content to that, but I could find NOWHERE in my phone that allowed me to do that? Where would that be?

Also tried compressing the large video files and got an error message stating I do not have access to do that! WTF?