The browser itself seems to have some tiling issues in landscape. You can see lines and squares at some specific zoom levels, depending on the page of course. Together with amoled pentile matrix they seem to create effects that resemble moire in a straight line.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I wonder if at least some of the issues described here and at
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4730
are not hardware faults, but driver related? I may sound desperate (which I am...), but really: I don't want to bring back my shiny new device and wait for a repair/replacement. I want to keep it and play with it.
Finally I am not alone! I loved the N9 and as I said earlier it really is my dreamphone!

But I ended up going to the store and get a refund. Seriously the phone cost 5500 DKK in my country which translates into 1010.713 U.S. dollars. When I pay that much for a phone I at least expect it to have a proper screen :P

Also this is a very generic issue. I had the issue on all 3 phones the store gave me, I found in on 2 of the demo phones in the store (the store is called Three) and I even found the issue on 2 of the managers phones to prove my point to him.

This seems to a problem spread on all phones (at least all the one shipped to Denmark)

Don't know how to edit my post, but I found some of the pictures i snapped before I got a refund on the third model:

As you can see there is some purple vertical lines

The best way to see it is by going to Engadget.com and zoom on the first text as shown here:

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by weird0 View Post
As you can see there is some purple vertical lines
Are these shots taken when the phone was in portrait mode or in landscape mode? I'm asking because this resembles the lines I'm seeing, only mine are horizontal - when the phone is in portrait mode, that is. Of course, turning it around to landscape makes it vertical lines just as in your image.

(It gets even worse when I open the keyboard. The high contrast between the dark keysboard and the bright background seems to create even more of these ghost lines.)

Originally Posted by weird0 View Post
Lower brightness below 50 %. Clear all browser cookies and private data. Go to your browser. Flip phone to land scape mode. Notice the white static flicker lines on the screen?

Don't know if I should just deal with these faults since they are minor and that the Nokia N9 is my dreamphone or if I should go request yet another replacement phone.

So anyone else got these troubles?

Oh also as a bonus question does anyone know how to turn off auto contrast/saturation/brightness? Its pissing me off :s
The second issue you mention is most likely not a screen issue. If I understand you correctly, there is flickering white lines at the window frame when you rotate the phone. This is especially apparent on black background, e.g. viewing photo in Facebook. If this is what you see, then it's a QML issue and I filed a bug report a while ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
The effects you see may be due to the N9, unfortunately, using a PenTile matrix : http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-n9-fw...res-the-proof/

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Precisely what I'd been thinking all along too...
I didn't want to obfuscate the debate with the dirty word 'pentile', as there's so may misconceptions around it.
I can't find the other good articles ATM, but as I recall this one wasn't too bad.
http://www.tested.com/news/pentile-v...ifferent/1868/
Should only be an issue when you look real closely, & particularly for small text up-close.

*edit*
Actually I re-read the original post, & your 1st issue sounds nothing like what one would get thanks to a Pentile AMOLED.
Those picture you posted more recently look kinda symptomatic of Pentile AMOLED, but you reckon you only get that as per outlined in your "2nd issue".

That second issue is just utterly weird...
So you can only reproduce it if you empty the browser's cache, delete it's cookies, & lower brightness to 50%?
Can you reproduce it by just flipping the ph to landscape, & not doing those 3x other things?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-18 at 22:10.

@benny1967

Yes the phone was in Landscape mode when these pic were taken

@sony123

The white flicker thing came out wrong. What I ment was those purple lines and you can see on the photos in post #13. They are not always purple (sometimes just dark/beige) and their size and placement differs when you scroll around

@jalyst

Actually it can be reproduced all the time (best by going to white website), but the reason I said empty the browser's cache, delete it's cookies, & lower brightness to 50% was that for the tests of N9 users to have the same Basis.

Also the reason i deleted cookies was that if you visit a site like Reddit.com enough times after a browser wipe, then "Reddit" will appear as a tag when you boot up the browser. Then its clear to see the purple "Aura" around the text.

yeh my phone is exact same..

i first noticed it when i was in my room at night, all lights were off.. and i was restarting the phone.. and noticed that the 'black' background had random black dots everywhere (so clearly the black background is slightly lighter)
and then even when turning the device back on and you have the nokia thing with ripples, you could clearly see that there were colour issues, heaps of random black dots everywhere...
and if you carefully look and take notice, even during the day you can see the not fully blended colours in this start up screen

ALSO! yes, i have those purple lines as well...

iv never thought about taking it in for a replacement though... maybe i should..
but iv done my music, contacts, calender and everything already.. i really cant be bothered doing it again on a new device (which might still have the same problem....)

but if this REALLY isnt meant to be like that.. then.. i guess its good to take in
i checked with my friend who works for a phone carrier... and she said wait a few months, its still under warranty and get replacement, that way there is most likely a slightly updated device that will have a few other bug fixes

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It's not even the lines as such that are disturbing; it's that they become wider and narrower as text scrolls across the (landscape) display. It's a beautiful effect if you try to create it, but somewhat irritating when you just want to read a web page. (I refer to web pages as it needs a white background and black letters for this effect to become visible; the grey UI of the N9 does a good job in hiding it in most other applications.)

I will take the device to a Nokia care point next week and see what they have to say about it. I'd hate it if they'd come up with "this is normal on these displays". It's actually not acceptable on a €700-device.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: