Closed Thread
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Antti Saarnio @ Jolla Pioneers Facebook group about 2h ago:

Thanks guys for caring. You are true fans for it. Although these are bold moves for a start-up the reasons behind are very logical:
1) HW business can't be justified with Jolla's R&D investment level,
2) To justify investment level, Sailfish OS must scale with licensing partners,
3) Serving licensing business is a huge task for us, focus is needed (imagine you having several big time customers demanding attention),
4) Producing Jolla phones is very different sport and also requires focus (customers are important),
5) Both businesses have very different kind of investors: Sailfish OS: big, expecting scale, Devices: smaller, mostly private. Selling two in one is very difficult. ...Most importantly, what you see here is commitment. We are very committed to build and conquer with Sailfish OS and we also want Jolla devices to show its full potential (with TOH). Thats why were are brave enough to me bold, Unlike moves
and when i wished him luck with theyr plans in a comment he answered:

Antti Saarnio
Not only our plans. We plan to do this together with you

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
with TOH
...that sounds, like the next Phone could still have TOH.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
with TOH
Absolutely; that's the biggest feature of the current Jolla hardware, which kind of makes it the most important element for the new company's products. After all, they're now going to have to compete with some fairly big hardware producers, assuming that Jolla succeeds in finding some licensees.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
with TOH
If this is confirmed this a a really good news!

I was afraid it would be the first thing on the chopping block for new Sailfish OS devices - which would be a great shame!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
What about asking to him on that facebook group whats about future of opening sailfish and How is related to licensing business? I find reasons exposed reasonable.

I hope the updated first post answers many questions targeted at me and my initiative regarding funding.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
So Niel, you leave, then kickstarter then leave again? Your points are exaggerating and interpretative in a massive way, Jolla said they will cease device business, now they announce they continue device business... what is bad in that? That you put different departments in different companies is also risk management and maybe Nokia (or any other company) has their hands in it and Jolla protects SFOS from being bought and destroyed through device investments.

Jolla also announced that they will open more sources, looking at the bigger FOSS companies, they all make money from other companies, not from private users so sailfish-secure will probably their commercial piece in terms of FOSS, highly adapted security devices for specific company/government needs. There are companies out there doing that closed-source without you even knowing their name as they do not offer any consumer devices. I can go on and on fighting your misconduct, but here it is also coming down to 2075eur you got from the community and you quit before you even started, I don't ask for money, I do everything here voluntarily, use my savings to buy devices. If you are worth the shot you probably be in Jolla's developer program... so what hardware did you buy from those 2075eur? Which is 4 phones (including a full stack of TOHs incl TOHKBD) and 3 tablets btw... and will you donate them to the community as you are leaving now?
Shut up I mailed you on several occasions that I am donating both an N9 and an N900 to the coding competion here on TMO. While that seems to be accepted, it was never confirmed that You even want those devices. And yes, I am considering to donate a jolla device as well. This forum deserves some initiative to keep all those devies alive.
Cheer up, and do continue the good work you are all doing.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Just asked on fb. Waiting For a reply but A.Saarni

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Can you please ask him to clarify his "TOH" comment too (see 2nd post on this page)
I can already predict the response, if there is one...

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Sure i can. Tell me what are Your questions

Otherwise if i Will be generical and vague i suppose official reply would sound Like "we are working on it.we ll share new info SOON
( copyright all rights reserved)" ahahhaah just joking

Closed Thread