Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Briefly talked today, Michael/Youyota still tend to continue making it. As @olf mentions, it will be a waste for all if goes to the refund path... (Especially those LG 7.85 inch 2K screen wasn't seen on other products elsewhere that is still in production...)

The question is now down to timeline and cost... Hopefully will get it clear this week.
Thanks for the update. I have a Jolla tablet and am one of the backers for this tablet, if only to have a spare.

If Youyota manages to produce actual products, I'm sure they will be able to sell the extra ones that were needed to get the minimum batch size. There are hundreds of Jolla enthusiasts that are just slightly less adventurous than the current small number of backers and will want to see it appear before committing their money.

Speculating a bit, Jolla may then be willing to endorse it too. The fact that they held off before probably reflects the riskiness of this project, and their (well-justified) desire to avoid a a second Tablet-gate.

But of course this all assumes Michael manages to turn this around. It's a shame that there seems to be a curse on Sailfish tablets, as SailfishOS 2.0 is very well-suited to the tablet form factor.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Looking down the road maybe a good thing to try would be to get Sailfish to run on Purism device. I like their philosophy. Not sure if Sailfish is completely compatible with it though (click why purism).

https://puri.sm/products/librem-11/
Yes, i was hoping for that too. Even backed (or rather pre-ordered) a Librem 5. However Librem 11 is a no-go, they've replanned it to be Librem12 and even that is nowhere around - they refuse to provide any details for the device even though original expected shipment was somewhere in Nov/Dec '17.
So - no luck on that front either.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruff For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
If Youyota manages to produce actual products, I'm sure they will be able to sell the extra ones that were needed to get the minimum batch size. There are hundreds of Jolla enthusiasts that are just slightly less adventurous than the current small number of backers and will want to see it appear before committing their money.
Normally I default to skepticism; however I will state this clearly. If more become available, I will purchase one. I definitely belong to the group that is less adventurous on any of these endeavors before something may ship.

I do question how many of us they are though. Show of hands perhaps?

Speculating a bit, Jolla may then be willing to endorse it too.
Doubtful. But their endorsement would be incredible.

The fact that they held off before probably reflects the riskiness of this project, and their (well-justified) desire to avoid a a second Tablet-gate.
Hadn't even thought of this. I agree.

But of course this all assumes Michael manages to turn this around. It's a shame that there seems to be a curse on Sailfish tablets, as SailfishOS 2.0 is very well-suited to the tablet form factor.
100% agree. With all of these mobileOS's and apps now spying on the user, another alternative that will not do so needs to be out there now.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
With all of these mobileOS's and apps now spying on the user, another alternative that will not do so needs to be out there now.
This statement is ungrounded. Sailfish is not open system, you cannot build it end-to-end (libhybris based). So it _may_ still spy on you without your knowledge. That's what librem targets to mitigate - fully open blob-free in-tree mainline based system. Will see how lucky they are, this is another curse (failed attempt to build mainline based mobile device).

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ruff For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
This statement is ungrounded. Sailfish is not open system, you cannot build it end-to-end (libhybris based). So it _may_ still spy on you without your knowledge. That's what librem targets to mitigate - fully open blob-free in-tree mainline based system. Will see how lucky they are, this is another curse (failed attempt to build mainline based mobile device).
I do not think that the wish for an alternative mobileOS that does not spy on me is unfounded.

In fact, I asked for one that does not do that but did not specify anything else other than that want. If you wish to take my words as I meant Sailfish, that's on you. I am all about options outside of Android and iOS, but will perform due diligence while measuring options.

Nothing that connects to the Internet has been proven to be truly safe from exploits or leaking data.

My statement stands: With all of these mobileOS's and apps now spying on the user, another alternative that will not do so needs to be out there now.

There's no room left for any other statements to be added to that - it is not out there, it needs to be out there now. It isn't.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I do not think that the wish for an alternative mobileOS that does not spy on me is unfounded.
No, but the assumption that Sailfish or any other OS is such an OS is.

Your statement was vague enough to be interpreted that way. ruff was not the only one who read it that way. I did too. Thanks to your clarification I now see that we were both wrong.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
100% agree. With all of these mobileOS's and apps now spying on the user, another alternative that will not do so needs to be out there now.
Considering that SailfishOS has systemd and not init.
Yes are is a number of Linux distros that are staying with init.

And no I am not trying to start a discussion on systemd, as I have seen a number of Linux forums close discussions on systemd because they got out of hand.

I am glad to see an update from Chen. I was wondering how Youyota would of been affected by the Christmas holiday. Now I understand how it was delayed because of much bigger orders being built for Christmas.

I am still holding on to the belief that we should see something in the spring.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks to your clarification I now see that we were both wrong.
Made me laugh out loud. Hooray, everyone is wrong!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Made me laugh out loud. Hooray, everyone is wrong!
Not me! The only thing I know, is that I know nothing.

So whats the next step in this project?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Next step: slowly heating up the water and see if Kermit hops out of the pot before.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os