Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Picture is too small and blurry for me to identify the joints as surface mount (bad in this case) or through-hole design (better).

If reports are accurate that a flange has been added to the female connector, that will help a great deal-- but I continue to believe switching to through-hole mounting will be a wise move nonetheless.
Any idea how this compares to the microUSB port mounting on the n810?

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
well i hope im not tempting fate with this but i think we're being a little over paranoid. afterall, how many devices have lost their usb sockets? not many at all when compared to how many have shipped. probably just a manufacture fault on a few units like a bad solder flow or something. actually that would explain the ones with mics that were DOA as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to NotTheMessiah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by NotTheMessiah View Post
well i hope im not tempting fate with this but i think we're being a little over paranoid. afterall, how many devices have lost their usb sockets? not many at all when compared to how many have shipped. probably just a manufacture fault on a few units like a bad solder flow or something. actually that would explain the ones with mics that were DOA as well.
I really hope you're right! I don't have any warranty on my developer's device from Forum Nokia.

Originally Posted by Magel282 View Post
Yea it tells you on the back of the box. Its on the far right under the phone symbol.
I am unable to find this. I've looked on all 8 sides and there's no phone symbol, or anything which indicates production week as far as I can tell (but I may still have overlooked it).

I have the recessed USB connector as in the picture on the previous page btw.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Any idea how this compares to the microUSB port mounting on the n810?
I think the port on the N810 was wall-mounted. It looks really robust and is good even after two years of use.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I am unable to find this. I've looked on all 8 sides and there's no phone symbol, or anything which indicates production week as far as I can tell (but I may still have overlooked it).

I have the recessed USB connector as in the picture on the previous page btw.
It's on the big white label. It will read something like 49/2009. It's right under the tty compatable thing.

There's no big white label on my box, and tty isn't mentioned anywhere. The only label is the black one where it says 'Nokia N900' and lists WLAN and IMEI etc. and there's nothing there that can be interpreted as week number. Maybe boxes are different?

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
ok, unfortunetly i cant tell you the week of manufacture for my unit as for some reasom mine doesnt have that big white sticker on the box :s maybe it was on the bigger plain brown box i threw out, dunno.
anyway, here is a shot of my usb jack. as you can see near the top there appears to be two small metal lugs just behind the plastic. maybe they're using slightly different sockets at different factories.

incase you're curious this shot was taken with an n82 in macro mode with low iso and then cropped to size.

The Following User Says Thank You to NotTheMessiah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
There's no big white label on my box, and tty isn't mentioned anywhere. The only label is the black one where it says 'Nokia N900' and lists WLAN and IMEI etc. and there's nothing there that can be interpreted as week number. Maybe boxes are different?
Yea the boxes must be different otherwise you would have found it. Here's the back of my box -

EDIT:

Originally Posted by NotTheMessiah View Post
anyway, here is a shot of my usb jack. as you can see near the top there appears to be two small metal lugs just behind the plastic. maybe they're using slightly different sockets at different factories.

incase you're curious this shot was taken with an n82 in macro mode with low iso and then cropped to size.
I believe I have the same port. The lugs you describe are soldered to the board. I think you're right when you said the few that have come of the board were probably a mistake made in the manufacturing process rather than engineering fault other wise I think we would all have just about returned ours by now.

Last edited by Magel282; 2010-01-05 at 12:22.

Originally Posted by Magel282 View Post
Yea the boxes must be different otherwise you would have found it. Here's the back of my box -
I can confirm that I don't have that label on my box. Thus no way (via the box, anyway) to figure out the production week.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty