Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
As I can see, the lines appear in pink and green on pixel rows with elements on a light background. As they appear perpendicular to text in landscape, and parallel with text in portrait, I'd suggest this is definitely a quirk with the Pentile subpixel arrangement.
Does it look anything like the video I linked to before?
http://blip.tv/ossi1967/nokia-n9-display-issues-5657368

(The video makes it look more black and white when it's really more purple/green)

If so, I really doubt it's a matter of the pentile subpixel arrangement.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Finally got a response from konttori...
He's given me a better contact at Nokia (display side expert).
I will gather-up all the doco'd issues soon & contact him.
If anyone can trawl the thread & summarize them in the the meantime.
That'd be hugely appreciated....
Do you feel that a display side expert will acknowledge the defects and so doing admit his or his team's mistake of certifying this screen in the first place?

I hope so, but I can't see how they will ever call these several issues defects.

If they do they may then have to recall all of the screens, while there is still a majority (?) of users out there that does accept the screen quality, like Nokia anticipated (floating icons, high brightness in sunny environment wow factor)

It is very hard to draw the line on which screen is legible for RMA and which not.

There for I think it is better to focus on one single undeniable defect and push it from there.

The movies look great on the N9: but black spots visible when watching dark scenes in movies movies? - very distracting.

Bottom line is that the implemented technology seems just too low end for a premium priced device like the n9.
And I am not saying that I would not be prepared to pay 1000 for a better screen, because I would.
The target group for this device has higher expectations from the display.
When dealing with display issues (human eyesight related issue) the risk is to have your screen replace endlessly for an worse copy.

Because I read Nokia is still calling the N8 purple effect normal depending on where and how you present your problem.

Anyway good luck and feel free to ask assistance.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
No black spots in the dark room on the camera app, but i def. have them pinkish lines that look like a UPC code. They only seem visible by eye or by taking an actual picture of the phone itself with a camera. I uploaded some screenshots from the ScreenshotMee app to my pc, & i couldn't see them at all. So it's def. a panel issue. Now debating what to do. I think i can deal with it. Should have a poll on this thread....

Here's to hoping I'm not beating a dead horse.

Kinda off-topic, but I think the black spots are surely an AMOLED problem. People over at NeoGaf report somewhat reminiscent problems on Playstation Vita with black spots shown in the darkness:

(PS Vita got an OLED screen)

The Following User Says Thank You to weird0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ NJ, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Does it look anything like the video I linked to before?
http://blip.tv/ossi1967/nokia-n9-display-issues-5657368

(The video makes it look more black and white when it's really more purple/green)

If so, I really doubt it's a matter of the pentile subpixel arrangement.
This is exactly what happens to my screen but only on some backgrounds and text display. it was very strange the first time I saw it, but I guess its widely happening.

Please check my thread about green cast on my screen while viewing from an angle. I attached a comparison picture over here. My unit is older(geen cast), while the other unit is newer (normal but appears to be slightly pink/purple on the picture)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...75#post1143675
Attached Images

Hi there!
This my first post here. I'm a future N9 user. I was doing some research, and I stumbled upon this thread. I checked out some more sites and found another one related to weird0's concern. This one, however, got fixed (at least according to the author/editor).
Check it out:
http://www.abudapest.com/latestnews/...h_minor_issue/
I'm not sure if anyone posted this link already, I'm too lazy to check. I hope someone finds this useful.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
I've not noticed any spots or lines on dark backgrounds, but I do have these really obvious purple/green lines bleeding from anything dark on light backgrounds. I'd really like know if this can possibly be normal behavior for the screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZerionSeven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by ZerionSeven View Post
I've not noticed any spots or lines on dark backgrounds, but I do have these really obvious purple/green lines bleeding from anything dark on light backgrounds. I'd really like know if this can possibly be normal behavior for the screen.

That is exactly what i have....

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I would be surprised to see a N9 or Lumia 800 screen that didn't show this behavior with that checkerboard pattern. I think it's just the degree of intensity that varies between devices, ranging from hardly noticable to unacceptable.