Active Topics

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
No wonder Nokia changed to a LCD screen on the Lumia 900. Would've been just awefull with a pentile screen in that size with that resolution o.O

Regards Dousan.

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Discoveryellow View Post
was there also a question about black spots?
I found it interesting you said spots on black background. Because amoled screens pixels arrested suppose to be turned off when displaying black.
Was you phone a first batch to come out? Could it be your panel?

Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
No wonder Nokia changed to a LCD screen on the Lumia 900. Would've been just awefull with a pentile screen in that size with that resolution o.O

Regards Dousan.

actually, lumia 900 uses amoled. But not the pentile one. The RGB amoled like samsung uses.
Apparently nokia has a deal with samsung as on of their biggest amoled buyers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

Regards Dousan.
Nope it's still AMOLED, it just has a higher sub-pixel density & better sub-pixel arrangement.
Samsung's marketing term for it on it's panels is known as Super AMOLED Plus.
Pixel density being equal, it's only significant practical advantage is reading fine print/text.
It's something that may have been do-able for the N9,* but no, it somehow had to be left out.
Hmmm I wonder why....

*It wasn't unprecedented at the time, then again Nokia's never cutting edge w/hw, haven't been for years.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-18 at 16:07. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
I found it interesting you said spots on black background. Because amoled screens pixels arrested suppose to be turned off when displaying black.
Was you phone a first batch to come out? Could it be your panel?
I have no idea.
But check out my photo of my N9 screen with the spots http://flic.kr/p/bCSFLi/

Last edited by Discoveryellow; 2012-03-19 at 18:19.

Originally Posted by Discoveryellow View Post
I have black spots/streaks on my screen when viewed black colour in dark. I do also see flickr and light vertical lines (light green and pink) when viewed in portrait mode especially with keyboard on screen. My N9 is made in Finland.

Just took this image: http://flic.kr/p/bCSFLi

Is that what you guys see?
Sir, can those spots and/or lines be seen in a not-so-completely-dark room? The store where I'm getting it doesn't have a dark room, so would putting the phone in a box be enough to see those spots? Thaanks! ;D

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
For all you screen aficionados, you may find this microscope dude comparison of various screens illuminating:

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2012/0...en_microscope/

He calls pentile amoled screens horrible:

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2011/0..._oled_screens/
i don't think pentile is that bad, I mean, you must do some stressing for you to see it, Well for me, the range i hold the phone when walking and on a day to day basic is fine.

whites, are a problem, But thats what you get when you have new technologies, Like Plasma,

Peoples don't forget try using your Amoled on low brightness, because it has burn-in when you have full brightness and displaying the same thing over and over

Some tips, Avoid using the same time format, every few weeks switch from AM/PM to 24 hrs because the M might burn in. and it will leave marks on your phone screen.

Get a short display timeout- OLEDS break up over time, the brighter the display the faster they bread down.

Avoid Deep blues, Or blues, the blues have the fastest breakdown rate. Greens are better and last the longest.

Try shifting your icons so they don't burn -In and leave marks on your screen.

there is an image from Gsmaerna showing Amoled v SLCD, real world close up
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-24 at 17:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Something bizarre happened to me just 1 hour ago. I just came back home from my home town using Nokia Drive (aprox 90min) and everything was completely normal. After i parked my car and got the mobile, it shows a green vertical line on the screen. Itīs visible in every app and not in the main menu. Tried to solve it by powering off and on again, restoring...so i assume thatīs a screen problem. Have you had that problem?
I wouldnīt like to send it back to the nokia care point, as it has all my job documents, contacts....
Thx!

Originally Posted by dazzlez View Post
Something bizarre happened to me just 1 hour ago. I just came back home from my home town using Nokia Drive (aprox 90min) and everything was completely normal. After i parked my car and got the mobile, it shows a green vertical line on the screen. Itīs visible in every app and not in the main menu. Tried to solve it by powering off and on again, restoring...so i assume thatīs a screen problem. Have you had that problem?
I wouldnīt like to send it back to the nokia care point, as it has all my job documents, contacts....
Thx!
Back up your data. Move the back up to your computer and ship off to service. (I hope you have your Nokia 1100 ready for temporary use.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Discoveryellow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
i don't think pentile is that bad, I mean, you must do some stressing for you to see it, Well for me, the range i hold the phone when walking and on a day to day basic is fine.

whites, are a problem, But thats what you get when you have new technologies, Like Plasma,

Peoples don't forget try using your Amoled on low brightness, because it has burn-in when you have full brightness and displaying the same thing over and over

Some tips, Avoid using the same time format, every few weeks switch from AM/PM to 24 hrs because the M might burn in. and it will leave marks on your phone screen.

Get a short display timeout- OLEDS break up over time, the brighter the display the faster they bread down.

Avoid Deep blues, Or blues, the blues have the fastest breakdown rate. Greens are better and last the longest.

Try shifting your icons so they don't burn -In and leave marks on your screen.

there is an image from Gsmaerna showing Amoled v SLCD, real world close up
Thank you for great tips!

Do you know what is the origin of black spots on the screen?