Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Woo-hoo!

I actually got it installed... Only took 3 hours and 20 attempts!

I'm not sure though what was causing the constant "Can't connect to GVM" error messages that would show up at weird, random times.

I think I'm pretty good at recognizing patterns and figuring out what causes certain problems but this program has me befuddled.

I'll post next weekend when I get another chance to use this more.

In the meantime, is it possible to install multiple .pdb and .prc files through the command line in Xterm?

How can I tell how much of the 64 megs in my virtual garnet.store is still available?

Is Resco Explorer the best way to install multiple files? Like, what's your setup in getting that to work, Pushwall?

Finally, anyone want to stab a guess as what GVM ROM TOOL V1.10 does?
Garnet VM

Cheers!

Addison,

Really glad to hear you got it installed. I have no experience with your current questions but I'm sure others will be able to comment.

Hey way to go, Addison!

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
In the meantime, is it possible to install multiple .pdb and .prc files through the command line in Xterm?
I haven't heard of anyone doing it.

How can I tell how much of the 64 megs in my virtual garnet.store is still available?
Launch an app off of the GVM menu. Once in the app, tap on the Home icon at the bottom to get back to the Palm menu screen. Tap on the time in the upper left corner (or tap the menu icon on the bottom bar, the third one from the right). This displays a drop-down menu, and under App tap on Info. The Info screen will show the Free Space up at the top.

Is Resco Explorer the best way to install multiple files? Like, what's your setup in getting that to work, Pushwall?
I'll have to go back through it and figure it out. I didn't save my settings before my tablet got wiped the last time. I think I or someone else showed the settings somewhere on this forum though.

Finally, anyone want to stab a guess as what GVM ROM TOOL V1.10 does?
How the heck did you find that?!! I'm guessing it wipes out your tablet from all the Japanese and weird characters it tries to display. I tried to install it on windows, and windows definitely didn't like it.

Last edited by Pushwall; 2009-03-16 at 17:23.

Addison I finally got a few free minutes to set up Resco Explorer. First you need to set up a shared Windows folder on your PC where you copy the PRC and PDB files you want installed in Garnet VM. For example, my PC ip address is 192.168.1.8 and my shared folder name is 1nokia. In Tools/Network Connections in Resco Explorer I added a network connection with the path: \\192.168.1.8\1nokia (and if you have a login name and password you put that in too) and called it Pushwall's PC. Then I click on Network in the left pane of Resco, click on Pushwall's PC in the right pane, do an Edit/Select All from the menu, and then do an Edit/Copy To from the menu and copy the files to RAM.....very fast! I then exit out of Resco to the Palm menu, and then escape out back to the Garnet VM main screen. If you follow my directions and do this, you'll notice what you've installed isn't on the Garnet VM screen, so you have to totally exit out of Garnet VM and then run it again. Once back in, it refreshes its menu and your copied apps should be there.

One thing I've noticed about my version of Resco.....I can't run it twice within the same Garnet VM session or most likely it wipes out all my apps. I've been totally exiting out of Garnet VM every time I run it so I don't run that risk.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Heya Pushwall!

Yeah, sorry for the ******ed delay in replying back.

Life is being stupid over here on my end so give me at least another week or two to process your wall of text directions.

But still, I can't thank you enough. Hopefully it will all work out and I can finally put some killer medical junk on my tablet.

The thing is, some of the .pdb files are so long in file names and numerous that they all look the same when trying to install them.

So many thanks for your solution on getting around this!

Cheers buddy!

Addison I figured you were probably up to your eyeballs in med school learning and would eventually make your way back here. When you're ready with your questions I should be around since I pop in here every day or so. In the meantime I hope you're having fun frying your brain with all that technical stuff!

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Hi all!
I've been very encouraged to read all the success stories with GVM on this forum, but I'm kind of tearing (what's left of) my hair out trying to get all my important apps and data installed into the GVM.

My question #1: Could someone who's successfully hotsynced their GVM please post the contents of their gvm.conf file (located in /usr/bin/gvm)? [With personal details X'd out of course].

Question #2: Has anyone gotten networking to work between Resco Explorer and their Mac? If so, were you able to move any and all files over to the GVM--even non-prc or pdb files?

I have never been able to get my GVM (on my n810) to sync with any desktop machine (Vista or Mac). I thought I'd be able to install certain files that are rejected by the GVM "Install" process, but doing the ftp thing with Resco hasn't overcome that hurdle. Even when I try to trick the GVM by adding a *.pdb to the end of files, the Resco "install to RAM" contextual menu item fails (it gives me "file corrupted" messages). I am now trying to get device-to-device networking set up, but I've just discovered that I need to mess with the "smb.conf" file in Leopard to get my network visible in Resco--I did some simple programming decades ago and have worked with several OS's, but I am still a newbie with this Unix stuff, and I'm pretty fed up with having to decipher another forum full of Unix jargon just to set up networking between my computer and the tablet.

So, I've decided that I might try the hotsync thing again--the problem with the Missing Sync for Palm is that it requires a Hotsync ID (set beforehand by a USB cable sync) for the device. I've not been able to get my Hotsync ID to "stick" to my GVM because none of my Hotsync's have worked. (I even reflashed the tablet and ONLY installed a bare GVM just to Hotsync it--and I was not able to get it to work).

I've trolled the forums and internet to try to figure out a direct way to get certain data into the GVM, but nothing seems to be available except for Hotsync and Resco.

For example, the PIM databases from my Palm TX are not compatible with the PIM apps in the GVM (which use the older format for that kind of data). Also, the GVM refuses to install my Splashwallet data files, so, the only way for me to get that data in would be to manually input it or Hotsync it.

If I can change the gvm.conf file and manually type in my Hotsync ID (and serial number and/or device ID), then, perhaps the Missing Sync might recognize my GVM as my Palm TX and then allow a Hotsync. Worth a try? What do you all think?

Thanks again to you all for these forums! It's been a great help!

First off, sorry Palmleavr, I don't think I can help you out.

It would be nice if there was a way we could share our 64meg virtual garnet.store files, but since most applications require retail purchase, I'm assuming it would be a little on the shady side doing this.

Anyway, Pushwall, when you said
First you need to set up a shared Windows folder on your PC where you copy the PRC and PDB files you want installed in Garnet VM.
Do you mean just create a folder on my Desktop with all the junk inside it like this?

Sorry, but apparently I require baby step instructions.

See ya!

Anyway, Pushwall, when you said

Do you mean just create a folder on my Desktop with all the junk inside it like this?

Sorry, but apparently I require baby step instructions.

See ya!
The next thing you need to do is right-click on that Desktop folder called GVM. Select 'Sharing and Security' on the pop-up menu. Select 'Share this folder' and then give it an appropriate name or leave the default name. Then click on 'OK'. Your GVM folder can now be seen by Resco Explorer........hopefully.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Palmleavr View Post
My question #1: Could someone who's successfully hotsynced their GVM please post the contents of their gvm.conf file (located in /usr/bin/gvm)? [With personal details X'd out of course].
I've only gotten GVM to hotsync with an empty Palm Backup folder on my PC to capture my hotsync id name. I've always had problems hotsyncing files so that's why I install programs/files off my SD card or use Resco Explorer.

Question #2: Has anyone gotten networking to work between Resco Explorer and their Mac? If so, were you able to move any and all files over to the GVM--even non-prc or pdb files?
I'm sorry I can't help since I've never tried with a Mac.

Tags
garnet, palm