Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
It is sad to see NOKIA screwing up again. Sad, very sad, muy sad. Just get an iphone. It works

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Uhmmm, isn't that a samsung you're rocking? We can see the samsung label at the top of the phone in the 3rd pic. The first pic looks like the notification android drawer as well. What kind of stunt are you pulling here?
These pictures just serve as an example because I can't describe the problem of the lines on screen as good as these pictures.

The first picture I reference from engadget's nexus s review.
Link: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/10/nexus-s-review/

Quote from engadget
We did see some strange issues with the display -- while it does look handsome in most settings, we noticed some strange inconsistencies in the panel against certain colors or tones. It was particularly pronounced on solid gray backgrounds (as you can see above). We're not sure the cause of the problem (or if it was simply an issue with the device we had), but it was somewhat troubling.
The other pictures I reference from this forum, but I can't read the language.
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/...ges/1460828/96

These lines on screen very noticeable when the screen brightness is low, but if you adjust the brightness to high/max, they disappear.

Hello guys! I got my black 64GB N9 yesterday. It's unfortunate that I had to return the unit today for replacement because the unit had black spots manifesting when I'm using the camera in a dark room and when I'm watching videos with dark scenes. Here's a picture of the issue:

Apologies for the picture quality, but in person it's very noticable. There are also black patches scattered on the lower part of the screen. They are not dead pixels. Rather like 'after burn' effect on a plasma screen. Or a soot in the screen. Those two black lines are also manifested during the phone's boot up just beside the Nokia logo.

Kindly check your screen if anything like this happens. You must be in a dark room and using the camera function. I forgot to set the screen brightness to full, but I think it will manifest more. The issue will never show up when you're in a perfectly lit area.

I think Nokia should be informed about this issue.

I'm waiting for a new unit replacement.

Last edited by BlinkThinks; 2011-11-18 at 12:01.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Mauritius
Originally Posted by BlinkThinks View Post
Hello guys! I got my black 64GB N9 yesterday. It's unfortunate that I had to return the unit today for replacement because the unit had black spots manifesting when I'm using the camera in a dark room and when I'm watching videos with dark scenes. Here's a picture of the issue:

Apologies for the picture quality, but in person it's very noticable. There are also black patches scattered on the lower part of the screen. They are not dead pixels. Rather like 'after burn' effect on a plasma screen. Or a soot in the screen. Those two black lines are also manifested during the phone's boot up just beside the Nokia logo.

Kindly check your screen if anything like this happens. You must be in a dark room and using the camera function. I forgot to set the screen brightness to full, but I think it will manifest more. The issue will never show up when you're in a perfectly lit area.

I think Nokia should be informed about this issue.

I'm waiting for a new unit replacement.
Let us know when you get your replacement. It seems every single N9 has this issue...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I wonder if there's a difference between the 64 and 16GB models? Like: There are display issues only in one of them? ...?

I have a 64GB device. Anyone with 16GB seeing the issue?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I wonder if there's a difference between the 64 and 16GB models? Like: There are display issues only in one of them? ...?

I have a 64GB device. Anyone with 16GB seeing the issue?
I quickly tested a blue model at a store and it had the same issues with the reddish/green lines. So 16GB devices have the same issues as well.

My 64GB model just came back from the repair shop and they apparently swapped the display to a new one. However, this didn't improve matters as the issue with the lines still exists. The display actually seems to be slightly worse since the red tint on left side of the display, when it is positioned vertically, is now much more noticeable than with the old display.

Originally Posted by Teemu R View Post
I quickly tested a blue model at a store and it had the same issues with the reddish/green lines. So 16GB devices have the same issues as well.

My 64GB model just came back from the repair shop and they apparently swapped the display to a new one. However, this didn't improve matters as the issue with the lines still exists. The display actually seems to be slightly worse since the red tint on left side of the display, when it is positioned vertically, is now much more noticeable than with the old display.
Where did you get your 64GB model from? Is it made in Finland or China?

Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Where did you get your 64GB model from? Is it made in Finland or China?
I got it from a Finnish cellphone store called Elisa Shopit and it's made in Finland. I don't think that really matters though since I believe that they use the same components everywhere and in every N9 model.

The Following User Says Thank You to Teemu R For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Teemu R View Post
I got it from a Finnish cellphone store called Elisa Shopit and it's made in Finland. I don't think that really matters though since I believe that they use the same components everywhere and in every N9 model.
Thanks for that info. I just wanted to make sure I could rule out whether it is coming from a specific factory or not. And it is also certain that it doesnt matter what model you get, 16 or 64GB, the culprit is the Pentile Matrix screens used in these devices. There are some who get lucky with less tint and some unlucky people get annoying tint, black spots, and whatever other display issues that have come up in this op.

Unfortunately, getting a replacement is like taking a gamble on whether your replaced device will be better or worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to blackbox For This Useful Post:
I searched on internet and found that the screen issue may casued by AMOLED technology.

Other phones with AMOLED screen (eg. Samsung Galaxy S II) also have this problem.

The vertical lines are very noticeable on this picture:
http://cheema.com/TearsOfS2/BlobTestLarge.jpg

Check this link for more details:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1320942

I'm very interesting to know if someone's N9 doesn't have this problem.

Last edited by bitrevo; 2011-11-20 at 13:04.