Active Topics

Can we have someone who has the problem with the black spots in video playback post a link to a video that they were watchign when they saw the problem, and reference a time stamp for the rest of us to look at?

I just got an N9 used from Amazon and want to check for problems. I do notice the purple bars if I use that checkerboard image to fill up half of the screen in landscape, but don't notice them too much when doing browsing.. a little on the top in portrait mode where the search bar is, perhaps.

my buttons are a bit loose, too, but that's going off topic..

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
My first N9 did have screen problems, but the latest N9 I got, white 64gb, made in finland does not have screen issues. I believe that the first batches suffered.

Its funny to think that N9 was just a practice run for Lumia, to work out the kinks. For example, my lumia side buttons are perfect, but on my first N9 they were loose, and on my second N9 they are too flush with the edge and you really have to push it to work

On my friends black N9 16GB Made in China for Singapore buttons are perfect but on my two black N9 16GB, both Made in Finland, one for Romania and the other one for Austria has loose buttons and I just hate that.
I'm getting the third one so I'll report that.

I have black spots/streaks on my screen when viewed black colour in dark. I do also see flickr and light vertical lines (light green and pink) when viewed in portrait mode especially with keyboard on screen. My N9 is made in Finland.

Just took this image: http://flic.kr/p/bCSFLi

Is that what you guys see?

Last edited by Discoveryellow; 2012-03-14 at 01:59.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Philippines
I don't know if any one of you tried this, but to see it
1. Activate the standby screen (make sure the screen tone is "vivid", haven't tried with other tones yet)
2. Go to a completely dark room
3. Cover the clock with a cloth
You'll notice that the black part of the screen flickers at a rate of 1 flick per second. I haven't seen this behavior on the N8 (Anna and Belle screensavers)

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Hey, ive been watching this post because i have been thinking of buying a nokia n9. I will try to address somethings i found out. Ok. I think the purple lines are called colour fringing. This is what is is.

Colored fringing around highlights or dark regions may
be due to the receptors for different
colors having differing dynamic range or sensitivity -- therefore preserving detail in one or two color channels,
while "blowing out" or failing to
register, in the other channel or
channels. (source wikipedia)

colour fringing is because of the pentile matrix.

Chromatic aberration is a lens-based
defect that occurs because the refractive
index of optical glass varies with
different wavelengths. In most optical
glass types, blue light is bent
('refracted') more than green or red light. As a result, a simple lens is unable
to bring all wavelengths of light into a
single focus point on the image plane.
There are two main types.
With longitudinal chromatic
aberration, wavelengths towards the blue end of the spectrum focus slightly
in front of the image plane and
wavelengths towards the red end of
the spectrum focus behind
it. Transverse (or lateral) chromatic
aberration occurs when the different focus points are side-shifted. In practice,
lenses affected by chromatic aberration
generally suffer from both types. It is
most common in wide angle lenses of
the retro-focus type and older tele
lenses (including zooms).

» although this is for a camera you can see the potential with amoled technologies.

Chromatic aberration manifests itself as "fringes" of color along boundaries that
separate dark and bright parts of the
image, because each color in the optical spectrum cannot be focused at a single common point. >> So you see because of the arrangement of the pentile matrix this is what happens. colour distribution is not even. I hope this makes sense? I'm typing form a mobile phone. Il have to get back with the dead pixel explanation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashbeck For This Useful Post:
Ok wanted to add something more, you see.

Red+ green+ blue = white.

So purple is created from Red and blue.

> the human eye is most sensitive to green, so when there is a transition the green is turned off leaving purple. (my theory anyways)
but it explains why amoled has a strange green tint. If RGB makes white then adding green will only make it green because light is a mixture of colours, adding more green as in the RG-BG configuration makes it green thus a green tint. So the purple is as a result of the technology/programming pentile layout.

Sorry if I'm posting too much just want to be helpful. Most people say they see it in landscape now take a look at a pentile matrix for amoled. Notice the pixels. Now turn it landscape and you will see RB-RB-RB pixels lined up.

Hey Guys i was researching it, and in simple, it is because of Amoled Technology, the way it is created. In a short way to explain the TFT backplate matrix behind the Amoled carries the Current, so the pixels can be darkened or brightened as you need, But some how when the Amoled screen is being made, Because the TFT is made from Silicon and a laser is used to convert it into a semiconductor, Because of the Heat spread of the laser, the crystals are not uniform, and so a uniform current does not pass through the screen and to each Pixels, resulting in problems are you guys are facing.

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-03-15 at 17:09. Reason: Add more information.

was there also a question about black spots?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
For all you screen aficionados, you may find this microscope dude comparison of various screens illuminating:

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2012/0...en_microscope/

He calls pentile amoled screens horrible:

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2011/0..._oled_screens/