Active Topics

Got my N9 back from repair. They changed the screen/panel and... No, the stripes issue is still there. Visited today different, maybe more proper care point, tho previous was official too...

Made a video, my N9 screen vs friend's. Man, my screen looks totally garbage. So much darker and those stripes, geez...

Search youtube, first video: Nokia N9 screen bleeding issue

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXLQIHkWeOY

ps. Wrote again this message, previous one is being reviewed by admins, maybe because youtube link, dunno... that was a day ago.

Last edited by Pl4ub; 2012-04-21 at 12:14. Reason: Added video link

Just picked up my N9 this week. I'm using it as a stop gap till I decide on either WP8 or iPhone5 later in the year.

First impressions are positive, but my biggest problem is that screen! Next to my iPhone 4, websites looks awful. There's a weird discolouration to everything, most noticeable on predominantly white backgrounds. It's greenish tinge. The iPhone looks like a piece of crisp white paper. The N9 makes it look like a yellowed old newspaper! Even before I put the two side by side, I noticed the screen when web browsing wasn't reproducing colours accurately.

Originally Posted by Discoveryellow View Post
I have no idea.
But check out my photo of my N9 screen with the spots http://flic.kr/p/bCSFLi/
I have those too, but they are only evident during the startup video sequence. I am pretty sure you captured that during the startup sequence. Since it's a video, I don't expect it to be free from artifacts or blocky pixels.

Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
i don't think pentile is that bad, I mean, you must do some stressing for you to see it, Well for me, the range i hold the phone when walking and on a day to day basic is fine.

whites, are a problem, But thats what you get when you have new technologies, Like Plasma,

Peoples don't forget try using your Amoled on low brightness, because it has burn-in when you have full brightness and displaying the same thing over and over

Some tips, Avoid using the same time format, every few weeks switch from AM/PM to 24 hrs because the M might burn in. and it will leave marks on your phone screen.

Get a short display timeout- OLEDS break up over time, the brighter the display the faster they bread down.

Avoid Deep blues, Or blues, the blues have the fastest breakdown rate. Greens are better and last the longest.

Try shifting your icons so they don't burn -In and leave marks on your screen.

there is an image from Gsmaerna showing Amoled v SLCD, real world close up
Kudos to you. I completely agree. Some people are just really making a big deal out of it. The average human eye won't even be able to tell the difference if it's pentile or not. The only people who keep complaining about it are the ones who hold their phones 5cm away from their eyes and claim to be display tech experts, and it's annoying that this has become a "problem" people can't get over about.

For the record, I am no expert when it comes to display technology, but ever since I got my N9, NOBODY (and I really mean NOBODY) has ever told me the N9 has an ugly screen. On the contrary, it has been all praises and "oohs and ahhhhs", and to think my friends all use iPhones and Galaxy S IIs. I don't necessarily brag about it, but to be honest, the N9's screen is definitely one of the best out there, especially when you factor in the phone's unparalleled design and construction.

Get over this pentile BS. Nothing you do will make the screen better, so instead of complaining or saying it's a "problem", get a new phone and ask yourself why did I buy an N9 in the first place?

Peace.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lifeintheblitz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by ZerionSeven View Post
...Every N9 I've seen has this problem, although the intensity does vary some...
Not the ones I know of...
I've 4 of them, all colors, all M/I Finland, and have gotten many of my friends sw-over to N9s... No one has it. In fact, none of our N9s have any problem at all (as has been reported by many on this forum).

We, probably, r a lucky few!

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by lifeintheblitz View Post
I have those too, but they are only evident during the startup video sequence. I am pretty sure you captured that during the startup sequence. Since it's a video, I don't expect it to be free from artifacts or blocky pixels.
You mean like this... The actual Start Up sequence is Pixelated, Not sure why, if this was done by design. you must look to see it.

(Start-up screen has about 103 frames and a size of about 1.7 MB*)
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-04-29 at 20:05.

Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
You mean like this... The actual Start Up sequence is Pixelated, Not sure why, if this was done by design. you must look to see it.

(Start-up screen has about 103 frames and a size of about 1.7 MB*)
Wow! Mine didn't have this. The opening screen was a smooth beauty (except for dark spots).

Originally Posted by Discoveryellow View Post
Wow! Mine didn't have this. The opening screen was a smooth beauty (except for dark spots).
dark spots will be visible on the multitask screen when nothing is open and you look at it on the darkroom.

luckily, my n9 doesn't seem to have the black thingy

i set my n9's brightness to lowest, then tested camera app in a dark room, and even watched a movie with dark scenes, yet still, no black thingies were sited. yey.

i also dont have the purple and green lines unless of course the screen is like 5inches from my eyes...

i think they're normal since the screen of n9 is AMOLED... the pixels are arrange in a rgbg pattern.. and because of that, color display is not as vivid and as crisp compared to the lcd and superamoled+.. so it's normal that white will appear a bit dirty.

if your n9 has those black thingies, you can return them to nokia stores and they'll glady replace or repair it since it's a factory defect.

they're like the air blobs in the screen protectors, but only visible when it's dark. maybe they're the results of a faulty "gluing" method during the process of making the amoled screens.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
Originally Posted by qorax View Post
Not the ones I know of...
I've 4 of them, all colors, all M/I Finland, and have gotten many of my friends sw-over to N9s... No one has it. In fact, none of our N9s have any problem at all (as has been reported by many on this forum).

We, probably, r a lucky few!
Well, I've only seen three N9s besides my own, so it's possible I've just been unlucky too.