Active Topics

my new n9 has the dark spots as well. did some research over at XDA and the lumia 900 has it worse, lots of samsungs have it, etc. mine are really small so its not a HUGE problem

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
I don't know if anyone has put this forward yet, and if so i'm sorry.

But, i'm quite confident that those black things you are referring to, are air bubbles trapped between the leds and the glass.

So... In the messaging app, it is natural that my N9 is a bit yellowish instead of white?

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Oh, and a question for anyone with an n950, do you have these issues?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ZerionSeven View Post
Every N9 I've seen has this problem, although the intensity does vary some.
I had a Lumia 800 (gave it back because I cannot do anything with it), it had exactly the same problems, only not that visible. Lumia-users most likely wouldn't notice unless they start looking for the stripes. So it's not even N9-specific.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
Oh, and a question for anyone with an n950, do you have these issues?

Entirely different screen tech, still subjective as to whether it's "better", depends on use case.
There's been peeps who've weighed-in who own both, & it varies between them...

Originally Posted by ssjmec View Post
So... In the messaging app, it is natural that my N9 is a bit yellowish instead of white?
Yes, on low brightness. No, in screen is max bright. But in general this screen technology isn't notorious for accurate color reproduction.
As long as you don't have severe purple stripes you are fine.

Do you know if I could ask a RMA for the screen on the right ?

The one on the left, colours are fine, but the screen gets scratches, on the left screen doesn't seem to get scratches but is damm green at low light... :/

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I've noticed the purple line on the left side, and purplish tint on the screen's top-left, while holding the N9 in portrait. Barely notice the green line at the right, though.

I think it can be avoided by some clever software tricks, if you swipe up an app and view it in the task switcher, the purple line's still there. Some research on this should be in order - the screen has absolutely fantastic blacks but pales in comparison to my N900's screen in almost every other category.

BTW, the issue is really noticeable in the low-power clock mode. It seemed like artifacting to me at first, but upon closer inspection, it looks like a problem arising from the way Pentile does colors (also, you can visually see the Pentile matrix, which slightly disturbs me when looking at bright pages)

Too bad it's a Pentile display without the high PPI that usually comes with it.

Originally Posted by pipould View Post
Do you know if I could ask a RMA for the screen on the right ?

The one on the left, colours are fine, but the screen gets scratches, on the left screen doesn't seem to get scratches but is damm green at low light... :/
The one on the right is definitely way too bright. You should be able to get an RMA for it.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-07-28 at 08:43.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Finally got a response from konttori...
He's given me a better contact at Nokia (display side expert).
I will gather-up all the doco'd issues soon & contact him.
If anyone can trawl the thread & summarize them in the the meantime.
That'd be hugely appreciated....
Well 10mth+ later I FINALLY got in touch with the guy, he may not even work there now for all I know.
God knows how I managed to totally forget about this Sorry people...
I've asked that he take some time to peruse the entire thread & answer all unique questions/concerns.
Fingers crossed... Prepared to be disappointed ofc, that is Nokia + F/OSS after all.

*update* 31/10/12 AustEST
I heard from him briefly a few days later, I asked if he could provide more comprehensive feedback in the thread.
I still haven't had a response to that yet, I will chase him up again soon...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-31 at 09:14.