Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Does that make the third N900 that has died in your possession, or are there more?
I have not had any die. 2 lost usb connectors, 1 lost sim functionality. Other than those defects, no issues.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Well, die meant "became useless for practical purposes". Only three, then. I suppose one could argue that not having a SIM does not mean it can't be used. True. Still, for such drastic things to happen to your N900s is pretty awful, considering you are a 'champion'. I hope Nokia is prepared to give you another N900 or fix your current one so it can be used as a phone, as they gave you replacements for the others.

I have two N900s, neither of which has had such problems. I use one of them many times a day. I guess the other is my insurance.

After being quite a satisfied and happy N900-User, my phone started to develop some issues lately. First, the SIM-problem occured, which I adressed (rather badly, since it doesn't really work) with a lot of paper - and now it won't mount its internal storage anymore, for no obvious reason.

edit:
at least the last problem is cssu-related, currently doing the fix mentioned in the thread there..

edit2:
which doesn't work either.

Last edited by greenstorm; 2012-04-08 at 18:23.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, die meant "became useless for practical purposes". Only three, then. I suppose one could argue that not having a SIM does not mean it can't be used. True. Still, for such drastic things to happen to your N900s is pretty awful, considering you are a 'champion'. I hope Nokia is prepared to give you another N900 or fix your current one so it can be used as a phone, as they gave you replacements for the others.

I have two N900s, neither of which has had such problems. I use one of them many times a day. I guess the other is my insurance.
I'm not going to bother Nokia any further re N900s. I'm just going to use this N900, simless, as a test device for Mer.

Not sure what you're getting at with the "drastic things" comment. And for the record, while I was admittedly careless with N900 number 1, I took exceptional care of the replacements.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm not going to bother Nokia any further re N900s. I'm just going to use this N900, simless, as a test device for Mer.

Not sure what you're getting at with the "drastic things" comment. And for the record, while I was admittedly careless with N900 number 1, I took exceptional care of the replacements.
Well, I wasn't going anywhere, but now that you mention it, the problems visited on you seem to reflect badly on you, Nokia, or Luck. Maybe we're about to see a lot of SIM problems. I hadn't noticed many before this small thread. I guess, as Rumsfeld used to say, "stuff happens."

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Chennai
sometimes most of them get this problem, better replace with new handset

Great advice, thats why I purchase an indestructible 1337-h4x0r-phone.. to replace it with another handset without hardware-keyboard and a stupid OS. Or a seriously more expensive N9, which also hasn't got a hardware-keyboard but at least plays my music.

Thanks all for your valuable reply but now I don't want to again spend so much money on any cell phone. Its worth to use a phone with low cost and all functions. I have again shifted back to my sony erricsion W810i. Its a cool cell.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Might be an issue with your version of firmware. I recently loaded the UK firmware to my phone and it wouldn't read the sim.

I downloaded the american firmware and it now works a treat.