Active Topics

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks for making the video, archebyte. Let's put it this way: this certainly isn't the video that I would show off to iPhone lovers to show how great multi-tasking is on the N900!

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Depends on your definition of 'not right'. Jumping between half a dozen web pages and various open apps, media player playing back stuff in the background and youtube to top it off DOES adversely affect response time, but I'm not sure what people expect here, youtube (flash, to be more precise) can do that alone on a full-blown netbook.

IMO What you see on the video as unresponsiveness is not a capacitive/resistive press harder thing, but rather the N900 swapping in and out the various pages/apps (if it was just presses, the task-switch animation would be smooth).
to me it seems the video itself is a bit the factor as everything on the video seems to stop for a splitsecond, so this is not only the n900 not responding in this case, its the videos quality... to me!

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Como, Italy
hey who said the device was supposed to run 15+ applications smoothly, as the memory or the processor get clogged, the device will slow down.

It's up to the users to manage their multi-tasking, what Maemo 5 has given you is a very easy and intuitive way to manage that.

Now in a more scientific way, I'm not sure how we can discover the limitations of the N900 in terms of memory, or processor (and even video).

Are there any benchmarking tools available? Even with such a tool it doesn't answer everything as keeping multiple applications optimized to respond effectively to feedback requires optimization of a different kind, one that cannot be overcome by brute force processing power easily.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Well... you can see this as a good and a bag thing at the same time...

Good thing is that the n900 has, clearly, set the bar higher from those times from iphone (rememeber? iphone? could not even multitask pfff....) So by pushing harder and harder this mobile/computer/tablet/horse with a sword on the head-thingie is a clear sign that people are clearly understanding what it is to have a mobile/computer/tablet/horse with a sword on the head-thingie in their pockets. Different from the iphone times.

Also nokia will get much much more feedback once the n900 hits the streets (much more than with the previous maemo devices) and they will for sure build with this experience.

The bad thing is engadget.... I just dont like them dot.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
to me it seems the video itself is a bit the factor as everything on the video seems to stop for a splitsecond, so this is not only the n900 not responding in this case, its the videos quality... to me!
I have a Summit N900 and it acts exactly as in the video when I get overenthusiastic on the number of open flash sites Same happens for example when I do media playback + RSS refresh (and have a LOT of HUGE RSS feeds) + surf. Swapping and writing to the eMMC at the same time simply makes things choppy - but that is to be expected.

Now you can see how HD2 is very responsive in this video and I hope that I can find same response in N900 with multitasking .

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
That's something very different (at least on the beginning of the video). He's not returning to the tasks, just launching them. You can do that on the N900, too. Another question is just how concurrently the tasks in the background are running. Also, there I see no flash in the mix there, which makes a huge difference.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester, UK
I thought the HD2 did not do real time multi-tasking but just rather pauses the state of the application when closed. N900 is real time multi-tasking isn't it?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by God View Post
There's a problem though.

N900 is aimed for business people and "tech geeks".

A young person (female mostly), walks into a mobile shop, sees the N900 and thinks "oh this is pretty...thick..eh..hmm :O! an iphone"..

You know what I mean? I think Apple are very good at marketing & making the device appropriate for all customers. 70% of the people buy with their eyes, because they don't care about good "high tech".
N900 should have made the N900 a tad bit sexier imho.
Sexist much? Oh, that's why it's God, not Goddess.

The latest video from archebyte is much better, the commentary really helps to explain whats going on.

I can't tell, but seems this time archebyte is pressing the screen more firmly to register better responses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsNHguzHoI

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:

Tags
be_patient, touchscreen